Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a ski please

Poster: A snowHead
@sj1608

Salomon Topaz skis are variously described on different web sites as being suitable for ambitious beginners, intermediates, advanced intermediates, and advanced skiers. lol
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, I don't think I'm discerning, but enjoyed trying different skis at the Oktobertest at Hemel and could tell the difference between them, hence my enthusiasm for trying lots now.

OK, so today was not the best day to be trying skis, as it rained all morning and the pistes became ever-slushier, when what I was most interested in was performance on harder snow.

Everything I was looking at was ex-rental, as I think buying secondhand gives me a better way to cut my losses if I change my mind later. This is what I tried and what I thought:

Fischer My Style Ivory – very hard work, requiring lots of concentration. Felt too twitchy for me.
Lacroix Pearl – felt as if they were my skis already. Very responsive, very light.
Head Joy S – I’d expected to enjoy these, but had trouble getting my weight forward on them. I’ve never understood the term ‘I felt as if I was skiing in the back seat’, but now I do.
Rossignol Unique – these felt very fast and difficult to steer. They were an older model, not sure which number.
Blizzard Viva – felt very responsive, although by the time I tried these, it was neat slush so not a good test.

So I want to try to the Blizzards and Lacroix again when the snow is harder. I knew nothing about the Lacroixs before trying them, but having Googled fear they’ll be too expensive, even ex-rental.

To add to those, I also want to try Atomic Cloud 11s and Rossignol Attraxions, both of which I have lined up for later in the week, assuming conditions improve.

Can anyone think of anything else I should add to further confuse me?
Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@irie, I was a very unambitious beginner when I got them. But, whatever they are officially, I know now they were really too stiff for me at the time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got some very old Rossignol Attraxion 6, which I like. Feel solid. 163 cms. My new Dynastars are shorter, to give my knee a break.

I can imagine that the very slushy snow made it very difficult.

The skier makes a lot more difference than the ski does, I reckon. My son is an excellent skier; he can get on anything and ski rings round the rest of us. Backwards. Same with snowboards - he has a terrible old board he bought for £50 ex-hire in Brighton at least 6 years ago. He borrowed a much better board from a family member last year, and did enjoy it, but he's too skint to buy a better one himself, at the moment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sj1608, I have just bought a pair of Rossignol Attraxions 1 from Decathlon - though haven't tried them yet (we go out on 12th April) slightly concerned by comments that they might be bit to beginner ish for me BUT they were on clearance at £99 so decided to take a chance. Given I always hide Red or Silver packages and always felt fine (I suspect I know no different Happy) I am hoping i will get on with them. Notice you are in hampshire as well there were a couple of pairs left last weekend at the Southampton store.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Link to the page (the out of stock refers ordering online as it was showing that when they were in store)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/attraxion-womens-skis-id_8286057.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sj1608, Why not try some non-female specific skis? Look for skis with roughly the width underfoot you like best for the conditions you mostly ski in and the sort of radius you're most comfortable with. If the skis are stiffer try them in a shorter length. And be very suspicious about what they say in the shops - they're trying to shift new and used winter stock to get the cash flow to pay for new summer stuff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, I'm sure that's true for a really good skier. But I'm not a good skier, so am looking for as much help as poss from my skis!!

@NickyJ, yes, have been following your purchase (and your poles!). We're in France at the moment, so not an option and I'm determined this time to ski whatever I'm buying before I buy it. I'm sure you'll be fine with them, they sound like nice skis....and at that price you won't lose anything if you don't like them and sell them on again
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@irie, it may sound like a silly thing to say, but there are already too many to choose from, and adding non-female-specific into the mix just adds to my confusion! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, what length are your new Rossignol skis? I've been wondering about getting some skis suitable for beginners as several of my visitors have had to hire some - they could pay for themselves with a few visitors.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, 154, iirc they had one pair of 161 or 162 - can't remember exactly as they were a bit too long for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sj1608, Then narrowing it down to just Lacroix and Blizzard is sensible. Just a comment - given it was slushy when you skied the Blizzards and you STILL liked them is a pretty solid endorsement of them.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, well if you decide to sell them, they'd probably be fine for my visitors - so maybe I'd buy them if you don't like them!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is turning into a very good thread Smile Thanks to holidayloverxx for starting it.

@sj1608, thanks for that about your testing today. Was particularly interested to read about the Heads. Tried 2 pairs this season (one bought!) and my feeling is the same, it's a fight to get forward on them. I'm going to fettle the bindings on mine and try again. Mine are mens and I put it down to that. But interesting that you report the same on the womens models.

The Bizzard Vivas get consistently good reviews and were on my shortlist last year.

@NickyJ, for £99 worth a punt! But suspect you will find them too soft. But no problem as you will sell them on with no loss.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sarah, Don't know what bindings were on the Head skis you were testing, but with 2014/2015 Head skis (such as the isupershapes) which have the new PRX 12 bindings the heels are about 3mm higher than the toes compared to last years bindings (increased ramp delta). Being tipped further forward than you are used to can make you to sit back to counterbalance. Maybe other 2015 Head skis also have bindings which adversely change your stance ...
ski holidays
@sarah, the guy in the shop looked at me as if I was nuts when I said I struggled to get forward, so really good to hear that you felt the same.

I did some reading last night, and now wonder if I should add to the Cloud 9 to my list. I also forgot to mention that the Volkl Allura was on the list I wanted to try, but no-one here has any.

So much fog/cloud here that I can't see the building opposite, so looks like a stay at home morning. Every chance to research and further confuse myself......
snow report
@irie, thanks yes! Both have the new prx bindings. That plus the fact they're mounted slightly further back too. It's not where I want to be on my skis! I worked this out last year that I want to be forward and flat and have confirmed it this year now! Had new boots this year too and had to get the baseboard ground to get flatter thanks to the manufacturers assuming every girl wants a heel lift!

@sj1608, Yep! There was a really good thread on here about bindings mounting positions forward or back a while ago and for me I know I want them a bit forward and flat.
latest report
@sarah, Glad that's sorted.
ski holidays
Sorry, should have come back a while ago with an update, but life got busy.

After much agonising I decided to go with the Blizzard Viva 600. It turned out I had been skiing an old version when I was trying them, but an end of season deal from Edge and Wax meant that I took the risk that the latest ones suited me as well as the demo ones. I tried them for the first time today, and really enjoyed skiing them. I took it easy to begin with, but they felt very comfortable to ski right from the off. Skied on them all morning before I swapped to Cham 87s for the afternoon slush, but the Vivas didn't even seem to mind the slush too much.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy