Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Solo Trip 14 March!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am new to this group and after trying to organise a last minute group holiday, and that failing, I am now thinking of heading to the snow, solo... First 'solo' time nerves coming out already!
Unfortunately, my dates 14 or 15 March - one week, are fixed as have to use my A/L up and only free week left... Ideally fly from EDI/GLA but could look elsewhere...

I am an intermediate boarder - no idea where to go, but would really like to keep cost down whilst being somewhere that's got good snow... Perhaps join some group lessons - improve my 'wonderful turns' and meet some other like minded folk there... Any ideas, suggestions or if others thinking the same, it would be great to hear from you... All advice greatly received!

Thanks
Lotte
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in a similar position a couple of years ago and ended up going to Soldeu in Andorra. You can generally find reasonable flights into Barcelona and bus transfers are pretty frequent, if a little long.
There's usually fairly decent packages (lessons, ski hire, lift pass) packages on the Grandvalira website and I found the group lessons to be excellent. Nightlife was good and people seemed friendly enough Smile
I found accommodation to be fairly cheap (stayed at the roc de sant miguel) and food/drink prices were reasonable. In fact, liked it so much I went back to the same place the following year, that time solo through choice (escaping exam hell!).
I hear they have good snow but the only thing is I'm not sure what the resort would be like for an intermediate boarder (being a beginner-ish skier).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Spiderbluecat, welcome to snowHead

I'm aware that singlesports.com are offering a trip to Courchevel that week and may have some places left... I've travelled with them before (twice this season already, to Austria and the USA), and am happy to recommend them. They offer shared and single occupied accommodation and include lessons as well as organizing guiding. Why not have a look at the website for details...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @Spiderbluecat,

Welcome to snowheads!

We have some spaces for those dates left in our catered chalets with no single supplement if that helps? Details via the web link below . . .
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowflow and scubadancer - thank you so much for the info... I have been looking at Soldeu and some great offers on lessons/lift passes - the Roc de Sane Miguel looks so good but sadly booked. I am an 'intermediate' boarder but often holiday with beginner-ish skier so sounds ideal... I have had a response for Tignes (not been before) so jumping between Soldeu and there just now. Singlesports next on list! Still got first time solo nerves but what else can I do with a compulsory week off, and my own board!!

Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes is great - pig ugly as a resort but fabulous in all other respects. TC Bar in Lavachet is the place to go to to make friends, as well as Harry's Bar pretty much next door. Not so much to do in Lac, but Val Claret is the best place to base yourself - its at the bottom of the Motte near the funicular and the best spot to go out from, plus lots of bars and stuff.

Wherever you go - go small and high - smaller resorts tend to be friendlier on the whole unless you're the sort of person that doesn't mind just randomly going up to people for a natter.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 6-03-15 21:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for advice re Tignes... It's Tignes Le Breviers... As I want to fly from EDI it seems direct flights to Grenoble are still just 'affordable' and transfer time isn't bad.. Catered Chalet so people to meet and seems a pretty little area.. I am going into all this completely blind - usually board in Grand Massif, have been to St Anton and Belle Plagne before but other than that new to all experiences! I have also seen a deal for La Plagne 1800... Will look at Val Claret - need to make a decision asap!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Le Brevs is pretty far down at the bottom - lower than Val d'Isere if I remember correctly? Its right at the end/edge of the ski map and the Sache can be a b'stard mogul field to get back - the Pavot isn't bad but can get icy and lose its snow - its either that or the Myrtilles - the longest flattest schuss in the world - not great for boarders. As you're going later in the season I'd suggest go as high as possible - Tignes Val Claret or some other place like Val Thorens etc.

There's also a snow park in Val Claret if that's your thing. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're OK with sharing a small dorm have a look at the holidays at UCPA centres - see Action Outdoors who market them in the UK, Very good value, all-inclusive and excellent for solo travellers especially if you take the options which include lessons (the top level lessons are usually at a very high standard).

There are a number of mostly enthusiastic reports on Snowheads, if you do a search. I haven't stayed there (too old.....) but my son in law has done several trips and my daughter one - exceptional value at some of the best resorts in France.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Am getting so confused!! Of La Plagne, Soldeu or Tignes Le Breviers - what is my best option? I really would prefer my own room (esp first solo trip) but perhaps next time (if the same disorganised trip organisation happens again) I would share.. My main concern is snow sure, good runs for boarders (not anywhere near black run ability yet!!) non-extortionate lift passes and some quality group lessons.. Does my 'idealistic' list exist anywhere!! Blush
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely not Les Brevs - its far too low and is fed only by three pretty shitty runs back to the village - the village is lovely but you are there to enjoy the snow, no? I don't know the other two well enough to comment but just make sure you're high as possible and have access to lots of runs back to the village. Which is why I suggested the main town of Tignes which is MUCH higher up the mountain - well above the treeline. Go for this if the other two don't pan out for you Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes... the snow is what I'm there to enjoy!! It all comes down to cost and deals I can find... Thanks for all the advice - it really does help ... I had always thought the 'higher the better' hence Soldeu which was the first suggestion in this thread does sound really good... too indecisive yet I have boarded at Morillon 1100 which is even lower than Les Brevs.. only a bit of gravel at the bottom!!.. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my early days of skiing in Soldeu, it was typically just me and my brother or my girlfriend/wife, we always went for the group ski lessons because a/ they were reasonably priced and most of the instructors spoke English as a mother tongue and b/ the social aspect, we had some really fun times in Soldeu ski school and the people we met, oh, and we learned a lot about skiing, I find it odd that so many people have such a negative attitude to ski school. My advice is that if you are on your own, at your level, get yourself to Soldeu and book yourself into group lessons.

Soldeu may be high but its a long way south, though this year the snow in Andorra is quite good
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am in tignes during the same week. Snow and weather is good right now. Sending you a pm.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tangowagon... I have been looking at Soldeu but unfortunately solo occupancy is virtually nil unless you want to pay a lot... It is definitely on my list for next time - will suggest to the others for next season. I am now pretty sure it is Tignes - but may be staying as low as Les Brevs.. Yes, it is lower down but seems most affordable and having spent time before in Morillon 1100, and managed to board down.. it must have more snow being higher.. I am still looking but need to make a decision tonight - just annoying that I can't find anything higher for a similar price.. It is all very last minute, and so I can't be too fussy, and I am on a budget (was away in January) so it will be an experience wherever I end up.. I do appreciate all the feedback and help! Blush
ski holidays
Le Brevs will certainly give you the access to decent snow but its just the getting back to the resort at days end - either way, enjoy, wherever you go Smile
ski holidays
@Radz, she's only going next week, it's not even 'late' season yet, and IIRC most of the Brev runs are north facing. Anyway, it's only one run a day! @Spiderbluecat, I've skied back to Brev as late as 20th April before with no issues - I really wouldn't be worrying about the ski back to resort in mid-March. And Brev is a lovely place to stay.
latest report
True but after 7 or so seasons in Tignes I know never to rely on snow cover down to Brevs wink
snow conditions
@Radz, genuine question - have you ever not been able to ski down to Brev the third week in March? If so, when, and what were the circumstances? You've obviously got loads more experience of the resort than me, but I have had excellent conditions there much later in the season. Looking at snow depths, webcams and weather forecasts tonight, I just can't imagine the Brev runs being unskiable 2 weeks today.
ski holidays
I can't remember the 'dry' years exactly - it was in the late '90's - but there were two seasons on the trot that the bottom of the pistes were un-skiable. They were relatively light snowfall combined with warm weather seasons though. Other years the snow cannons were working over time. In all my time there there were only 2 seasons that the natural snow stayed through to April. Yes they are north facing slopes but you have to remember that Brevs is lower than Val d'Isere and the slopes can get bloody icy. Bear in mind that the original poster is a novice/intermediate boarder which makes coping with icy gritty slopes even more tricky. When the chips are down they tend to focus on covering the blue schuss - and we all know how much boarders hate schusses! Sad

But if he doesn't mind taking the lift down back 'home' Brevs is brilliant otherwise. Sweet little village and lift access to some stonking pistes.
snow conditions
@Gamsbock that's great to know... I have now booked myself into a chalet in Les Brevs.. I have heard the snow is great just now and others, like yourself, skied back well in April.
Gone way over budget, but at least it will be an experience going solo and exploring Espace Killy... @Radz, if need be, I can take the lift - but will endeavour to board all the way down!!! Laughing
snow report
Good cat! Good luck - do let us know how you got on?
latest report
I will!! All booked... eeeeeek!!!!
snow report
Bit late I know, but Chalet Chardons in Brev is good for solo skiers, quite cheap
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy