Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis like Salomon X-Kart

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, we've decided to buy skis (after years of renting, and yes we both have good professionally fitted boots already). The best skis I've ever rented (that is, the ones I enjoyed most) were Salomon X-Kart. They were fun, easy to turn, stable at speed, and just felt "right". They were identical to these:

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/salomon-s-24-x-kart-bl-gr+s-ztl-10-14-p-1-25354.html

Except that those are only available in 150, which are too short for me (I'm 6' tall and like to ride around 170cms).

First of all, if anyone knows where I can buy a pair of those exact skis in the right size, please let me know Happy. But second, if not those then what skis would have similar characteristics? Is there a newer Salomon equivalent? No shops seem to sell any kind of Salomon X-Kart any more! Are there other brands which would have a similar style of model? (At a reasonable price please -- don't want to go over £2-300, happy to buy from a European shop and have sent over).

Many thanks!

-simon
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ok, I'm going with the Salomon X-Pro Ti with Z10 bindings. I'm 185cm but prefer a shorter ski, so will get 172cms.

The other half is going for Dynastar Active XPress, anyone ever heard of them?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
this is the current equivalent -- but over budget....

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/salomon-x-kart-max-+-z12-speed-15-p-1-28481.html

I've got these

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/salomon-24-hours-max-+-z12-15-p-1-28482.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, hopefully I have a decent resolution now...managed to find some used 170cm 2014 Salomon 24 X-Kart Pro with Z10 bindings on eBay. Described as follows: "Skis are in good condition will be delivered fully serviced & waxed. Been used 4-5 times, once abroad & a handfull of times in scotland". The images don't show any damage, and the price including postage £100.

The skis arrive next week at some point, if they are as described it looks like I may be able to ski on my preferred skis at the cost of a single week's hire Happy

The wife is still searching around for what she wants (anyone ever used Vokl Viola's? She's an intermediate with good technique but quite timid when things speed up, she wants to improve and get more comfortable carving down the mountain).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your wife sounds like a similar level skier to mine. At the Braehead ski test day she tried lots of skis but found the Volkl range suited her best. After spending a fair bit of time on both the Chiaras and the Alluras she went with the latter and she really loves them. The Chiaras were very good too. I think the Violas are next one down in the range from the Chiaras and might be a bit softer. If you're near a fridge with an Ellis Brigham you could try out Some Volkl skis there. The bottom end Volkl women's skis are the RTM range with a different topsheet, the higher end are unique designs for the women's range.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We live near Hemel and the snow and rock there don't stock them. Thanks for the info though Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a pair of 2014 X Kart Pro's they are a nice ski, I like them and you got a bargain at that price if as described. I find they are best skied quite aggressively and with conviction as they have a tendency to put me on my ass if just gently cruising around and not concentrating, although I'm not the greatest of skiers snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Myself and a pal caught a really good all inc. deal last year, which included ski hire and lessons. Razz

I left the Magnums at home at took my chances in the hire shop. I was dispatched with a pair of X Karts, or Ex- crates as I referred to them. I really wanted to hate the cheap, nasty looking things, by mid week I loved them. You can't go wrong with the bendy little devils. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bought the Vokl Violas for the wife from absolute snow, off to pick them up tomorrow. So that's us both sorted for skis Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy