Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Air Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

So Swiss are being useless and keep just referring me to their super ambiguous website, or giving me conflicting info.

They say only skis can go in a ski bag, which should be in addition to normal hold baggage. I plan to take everything just in my big ski bag, which should be easier for everyone!

They do take skis for free, right? The max dimensions (length + width + depth) of 158cm can't possibly apply to the free ski carriage, right? As there's not a single adult ski on the market within those dimensions.

Anyone taken a 190cm ski bag with them as their sole piece of hold baggage? Were you charged extra or not?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skis go free
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, I take my 190cm ski bag in addition to hold baggage on Swiss and never have a problem. I see those wheeled coffin bags being checked in on Swiss flights all the time, so you should be ok.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All airlines are now saying you should pack stuff separately. It covers them for not having to compensate you for "everything" but just for the partial things they lost in transit...

You just have to decide if you are happy or not that when you arrive at your destination airport and your bag has gone missing, that you can survive the hassle etc...

I have travelled with Swiss recently with everything in one bag and no issues.

Just make sure it all comes in under the weight allowance of 23kgs...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cool, thanks guys!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On full fare flights the check-in staff do have some discretion. I recently flew LHR to ZRH with Swiss. Ski bag had 2 pairs of skis and 1 pair boots at 20kg, and the other piece of luggage weighed in at 26kg. I was passed through without any comment at both LHR and ZRH.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
They do take skis for free, right? The max dimensions (length + width + depth) of 158cm can't possibly apply to the free ski carriage, right? As there's not a single adult ski on the market within those dimensions.

Well, apart from ladies skis wink Mine are 155cm. (When in their bag it's well over 158cm though).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sugarmoma666, The 158cm isn't jsut the length - it's length + width + height!

Though Swiss did just reply on Facebook and it should be ok, though still no guarantee that pooling everything in one bag is ok. I guess I'll just shove a duffel bag in the ski bag just in case.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skis go free. I phoned their Heathrow number not long ago (+44 345 601 09 56) and had a good chat with a very helpful lady.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
michaelminhatkinson wrote:
All airlines are now saying you should pack stuff separately. It covers them for not having to compensate you for "everything" but just for the partial things they lost in transit...

^^ This is certainly true for British Airways. It states this explicitly on the website for carrying sports equipment and meant that I ended up putting my skis and poles along with other stuff up to 23 kgs in my ski bag, but putting my ski boots in my cabbin carry-on rucksack as directed. This was long haul to Denver last month, and the only two pieces of luggage I took.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just for the record I - finally! - got a proper response from Swiss, and you're allowed to take everything in a 190cm ski bag.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy