Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine, anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any views please on Flaine for a family group of 6, including two kids of 7 and 5 (beginners), in particular recommendations for slopside accommodation near lifts and a good ski school!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tessaventer, Flaine would be a good choice - second ever ski holiday and again last year. If you want a chalet hotel, Le Totem, run by Crystal, is in a good position, just across the square is the main lift and the nursery slope is very near. I didn't use Crystal childcare but everyone else seemed happy enough. Food was good too. Please don't ask about ski school Shocked . We had the ESF Bitch from Hell in Flaine - but that was a few years ago. She's probably been sacked by now Laughing . I'm sure you would be fine. There is another school there but I can't remember the name.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tessaventer, Flaine is great for families as the main area is a large bowl with all runs coming down to it. Only problem is the accommodation is similar to an Eastern European city ! Le Totem is about as good as it gets, and there isn't much else to choose from. But, short transfers, reliable snow, and a good ski area make up for it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tessaventer, obviously the younger children are still learning to eat at table if you need
Quote:

slopside

wink
All three of my boys learned to ski in Flaine. We also did not like the ESF there and got on better with the other lot (was it the "International Ski School" or something similar).
The nursery slopes are close to the lower part of the resort (i.e. not Le Foret area) and have 2 or 3 free lifts I think.

Sorry but I can only agree with stevestar, about the accomodation though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll echo all the above. Flaine sounds excellent for your group. Food in the Totem was *excellent* when we were there. Haven;t used the ESF but did have a clinic with one of the guys from the International Ski School, he was *great*. I think his name was David, British bloke, only short.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to ski in Flaine for my first 3 holidays with me parents - from a family and beginners point of view its excellent - we stayed in the hotel right above the ski school meeting area - although in my opinion the Totem was better for kids as there were things like pool tables and table tennis tables there etc.

The whole place was great for the family - the only thing that i would mention, in my opinion i found the colour coding of the runs slightly different to other resorts - after flaine i went to les deux alps and found the red runs more harsh.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would definately recommend Flaine for the family, I have been three times now all in March and the skiing and weather have been great. We stayed in the Residance de la Foret which is the top half of the resort, pretty basic accomodation but all you need really. Have also stayed in the Totem and would agree the food was great. Ski school wise go with the International ski school two great instructors were Bertron and Sebastian. Hope you have a fab time! Happy New Year snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Totem sounds good, thanks all who recommended. Anybody tried self-catering there? And any recommendations for childcare in case the kids don't like it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was there for a few days last Feb for a race series. Quote from the Flaine thread on SH last year...
Quote:
My apartment in the Andromède - 166 euros for 3 days - was dirty with bins unemptied, a big leak under the bath somewhere, a cooker that didn't work... all somewhat in tune with the rather shabby building itself. Still we were only there to race and sleep, and I can see the appeal of the resort in terms of convenience skiing

I've lost count of the number of s/c studios and apartments I've stayed in around the Alps, but this was the worst by some margin! May have been unlucky, but the Andromède was a large (and aging) building, wouldn't be surprised if the place we had wasn't pretty standard.

Otherwise although I didn't have the chance to explore much of the domain, it was all pretty practical in terms of access to the pistes around the bowl (as long as the free lift between Flaine Forum and Forêt doesn't keep breaking down, as it did while I was there!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy