Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RK Heli Ski - Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

Has anybody used RK Heliski, based in Panorama, Canada. Its just I will be out there for 14 nights in seven days time and wondered if anyone can give any reportsor feedback on them. ie is it worth doing??

I have never heli skied or cat skied before and think I should definatley have at least one go at it whilst I'm out there - is it an experince you will never forget.

If anyone else has heli skied with any other company and can give me any information, advice or pointers it would be much appreciated.

Alpine Bullit
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alpinebullit, I met RK himself once (nice bloke, Roger Something or other) but weather was against us that week so didn't fly. Heard v good things about them around Banff. Great value for money as you can do just the odd day here and there and get a taste for the heli life. I'd say definitely worth doing but book it NOW... they were pretty chokka.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpinebullit,

Don't know about heli-ski in Canada but in Europe is is quite easy to keep an eye on the weather, book it late and go. One or two Ops are more sorted than others in as far as the guides they use and this does take a bit of arranging. If you are there for two weeks I would think you should introduce yourslves via e-mail, get an idea of their Op and prices etc and then talk to them when you arrive. You want the best day but then so will everybody... and they want to fill their Heli.. We haven't made up groups as such but you may all get ferried up the hill to the same drop off point. You will want to be in a group of the same standard as it is less fun - and more tiring - always bringing up the rear.= or waiting around whilst someone else always does that...

I would introduce myself the company, and maybe get a bit of notice of who they might pair you with...

Multiple drops are supposed to be cheaper in Canada and they may sell on vertical alone.
But as an experience you should do it, heli or Cat, if the snow is remotely good and probably do it for the hell of it even if not prefect...it should at least take to you to stuff you would never get to otherwise...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpinebullit, We went to Panorama a couple of years ago in late March for 9 days. Firstly 9 days was far too long if you intend to ski only at Panorama ( and it was too hot so the skiing was limited ). You probably are aware of this and plan to drive out to Kicking Horse etc to change the scenery.

I did not use RK but did chat with an American guy on a lift who had been out with them for a day. He said it was a fantastic experience and should be done if I had the opportunity.

Panorama is a great place to ski and relax so enjoy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Very Happy

I figured with basing myself in Panorama for 14 nights (It was a cost thing) that I would need to ski elswhere as well as there because of the size of the mountain. So I have arranged a 4x4, I also have friends staying in Banff for two weeks at exactly the same time. So I figured being in Panorama will allow me to also ski Banff/Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, I may also have a drive over to Kimberley and I figured if we do the heli skiing as well it will make the holiday a trip well worth taking.

CP the snow seems reasonably good out there at the mo and I know the whole mountain is open, did you us the taynton back bowls? and I take it the Canadian roads are pretty easy to get about on.

Only 4 Days to go now, I'm really looking forward to Panorama. Cheers

Alpine Bullit
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alpinebullit, Sounds like you have a good plan. Tayton bowl was pretty much closed when we where there, did a couple of trails through the trees but the snow(ice) was not great. You are going to get much better conditions, so enjoy. The 'slopeside' hot tubs and pools are very nice, have you seen the photos I posted BTW? if not let me know and I will send you the link.

The roads are dead easy to drive on, and after the flight from London to Calgary they need to be. We really enjoyed the trip back through the national park before getting to Banff as I was not having to grip the steering wheel quite so hard.

Have fun and do report back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied with RK, they are OK.

Choose your day with care, ie don't book days in advance, look at all the weather forecasts, really try for a clear day and you will have fun! That said, try to book before the end of your first week, that way if the weather thwarts you you'll get a second chance and if you do fly and get the bug you'll have time to go again!!!

Sounds like you have the trip well planned, all the resorts you mention have great skiing, don't forget the hot springs in Radium (just up the road) for that apres relaxation Smile

Drive slowly when you enter Banff national park, the speed lmit drops drastically when you enter the park and a 'ticket/fine' for speeding is usually guaranteed Sad

Aloha from Whistler!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy