Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passo Tonale or Selva Val Gardena for Easter skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to try and get another week in after a Feb half term ski holiday. Which resort to go for - Passo or Selva from 4th April. We have been to Passo last year so know the area. Thoughts on Selva please would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weather conditions obviously vary quite dramatically from year to year, but if it is any help, I was in Selva mid March last year and it was definitely getting to the end of the season.
Whilst temperatures were great for a holiday (T-shirt temperatures at the bars dotted everywhere), they weren't so flash for skiing and by lunch time, busy junctions and slopes facing the sun became very sloppy, in fact, very difficult for even the most experienced of skiers - like wet moguls with squillions of beginners falling left, right and centre, so hard to get fast lines thru the chop. There were shaded runs that held up quite well into the afternoon, but you had to know where they were and plan the day accordingly.
Good luck.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Selva beautiful and great ski area but you're taking bit of a chance going there in early April. You might get lucky but as per Jaksbak above, chances are your afternoon skiing will be pretty ropey.

Sods law that this year will be the exception but I'd say going that week, PT would be better bet 80%-90% of the time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Selva has much better skiing/links and scenery but is lower. The snow making is amazing in the area and SR will be open but it could be very very slushy low down.
That said, only the steep stuff in Tonale is both high and north facing. The majority of the skiing, which is on the other side of the road is going to get a lot of sunshine at Easter and will likely suffer badly. I think the east/west valley is call the 'Val de Sol'

The north facing stuff above Selva though is quite sheltered but is a risk. You are at the right end of the SR to get north facing skiing though.

If it were me I'd go Selva as conditions are likely to be similar in both places and Selva gives you opportunities to go find better snow in the region. We skied Corvara in Easter 2012, a disastrous year for snow. It was all open but the only decent snow out there was above Arabba on the route out towards Marmolada. Tonale will also be full of school kids at Easter too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gamble basically. It could be awesome if a cold front precedes your trip and locks in the current snow, but it might also be sloppy. Irrespective, Selva and the Sella Ronda circuit are definitely on the world's 'bucket list' of skiing. Cheap too - good time to negotiate tariffs right now.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@alangibson73,

'Two whiskey' in my opinion. I'm a regular Val Gardena visitor, I wouldn't risk April.

If Italy is for you and you're limited to late season, I'd look at either Cervinia, or maybe Livigno. Go higher.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it were me I'd go to Stubai at that time of year
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. Stubai sounds like a definite target. I have been waiting for the Cyclone season (here in the Southern Hemisphere) to settle down before I can even think about leaving. Earthquake at the beginning of the week, cat 5 cyclone heading straight toward us with a massive flood potential that normally follows. Complete evac. Massive job.
But alas, nuffing happened. Major disruptions but no damage. We are getting really good at evacuating an entire town (10 acres) in a day or two now.
Meantime, they are expecting snow on the peaks of Tasmania (end of summer) - wierd!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jaksbak wrote:
Thanks. Stubai sounds like a definite target. I have been waiting for the Cyclone season (here in the Southern Hemisphere) to settle down before I can even think about leaving. Earthquake at the beginning of the week, cat 5 cyclone heading straight toward us with a massive flood potential that normally follows. Complete evac. Massive job.
But alas, nuffing happened. Major disruptions but no damage. We are getting really good at evacuating an entire town (10 acres) in a day or two now.
Meantime, they are expecting snow on the peaks of Tasmania (end of summer) - wierd!

Strewth mate...time to sit back and crack open a couple of tinnies!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neither that late in the season. Try Cervinia or Tignes ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@luigi, - Definitely a man of wisdom. Well put!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy