Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paris to Bourg overnight reclining seat?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
I was wandering if anyone had taken the overnight train from Paris down to Bourg St Maurice- but in 1st class seats? I have left it too late to book a spot in a couchette for my trip- and am a little skeptical about the comfort of the seats! First is only £6 more than standard overnight at the moment so my thinking is it will be worth it...but I can find very little online regarding the comfort of the journey itself. Does anyone know if they are the same as regular TGV trains, and what kind of standard to expect- or better still- who's done it before?! Thanks a lot Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SHSH, overnight train is not the same as the TGV, rather older and probably less comfortable. http://www.seat61.com/lunea.htm#.VPXJDvmsVMg
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It definitely says TGV!!!

TGV OVER NIGHT
Standard Class Seat Fare Conditions £40.00 1st Leg:
TGV OVER NIGHT
First Class Seat Fare Conditions £46.50
16:43 PARIS GARE LYON 21:45 BOURG ST MAURICE Chamb

I'm looking at Friday 27th March outbound......

http://uk.voyages-sncf.com

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 3-03-15 15:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did standard class about 10 years ago and I think they still use the same carriages and it was a bit like an 8 hour flight in economy - but not as smooth due to the points etc. After that I went for a couchette, which are relatively comfortable (sorry!).

Cross Post - I was on a Corail/Lunea. As you are on a TGV then there are no couchettes - AFAIR the TGV seats are pretty much like the ones on the East Coast Mainline.

TGVs leave Gare de Lyon
Sleepers leave Gare d'Austerlitz
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's a great help @chocksaway- I had only been searching from Gare de Lyon so I'll have another look.

I'm not sure I could sleep very well on something the equivalent to East Coast!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just checked on Capitaine train website https://www.capitainetrain.com/en
There is a couchette available on the 22:56 from Paris-Austerlitz, arriving in Bourg St Maurice at 07:44. Cost is €134.00.
The TGV from Paris Gare de Lyon to Bourg, 22:29 - 06:54, is €52.00 2nd class, €60.00 1st class, in a seat.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nigelg, Just checked with raileurope.
There are at least 10 trains going out of Paris for Bourg on 27 March.
All sensible day trains take about 5.5 hours, and most involve a change (usually Chambery)
The night train from Gare Lyon is £40.
The night train from Austerlitz is £61 for seat, £103.50 for 2nd class couchette, £155 for 1st class couchette.

The alternative is to go for Saturday - no idea what the Eurostar would cost, but lots of straight-through (no change required) trains from Paris to Bourg for £60-£70.

Edit: just checked Eurostar Saturday service: fare for all the way to Bourg is £192 2nd class.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guys how helpful thankyou! The flight times and prices were much more convenient to Paris from Edinburgh- and I can get some sightseeing in! I can find a hotel pretty cheaply. With that in mind- I think I'll get the late train but not the overnight, to Bourg on the Friday so I can have all Saturday skiing- and not be tired!

I'll be sure to be better planned next time now I have your other website suggestions to help!

Cheers everyone Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SHSH, I've done overnight in the first class TGV seats. For the same reasons of price and availability that you have. It was fine. The way back it wasn't at all busy so there was lots of room. Outbound I think I had a solo seat to myself so it was still ok. Anyway I was a bit tired for the first day's skiing, but still had a bloody good day's skiing. On the way back I put my things in left luggage for the day while I skied, then went for a very nice dinner in Bourg before getting the night train. I'd consider doing it again but husband says 'non'.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SHSH wrote:
It definitely says TGV!!!

TGV OVER NIGHT
Standard Class Seat Fare Conditions £40.00 1st Leg:
TGV OVER NIGHT
First Class Seat Fare Conditions £46.50
16:43 PARIS GARE LYON 21:45 BOURG ST MAURICE Chamb

I'm looking at Friday 27th March outbound......

http://uk.voyages-sncf.com
That's not an overnight journey.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy