Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sneaking in an extra week

Poster: A snowHead
The wife and I have decided to feed our addiction by sneaking in an extra week's skiing without the kids. We've just booked flights to Zurich (using BA Avios and Reward Flight Saver) for the following dates:

Code:
Arrive in Zurich Monday 23 March at 15:25
Depart Zurich Sunday 29 March at 07:15

The plan is to land in Zurich and take the train to somewhere, arriving in the evening. We need accommodation from Monday night through to Friday night, and we plan to ski five full days Tuesday through Saturday. On Saturday evening we will take a train back to Zurich, arriving late in the evening and staying in a hotel near Zurich airport, getting up to catch the early morning flight home.

We both loved Zermatt last time we were there, but we'd like to try and keep the costs down and Zermatt was *expensive* when we last went there. Any hints for a cheaper Zermatt stay? Or, are there less expensive good resorts easily accessible from Zurich that you can recommend?

(We're being really selfish here -- we come back on the Sunday and are leaving again on the Thursday with the kids for eight days skiing in Chamrousse, but an addiction is an addiction and besides we deserve some skiing time to ourselves!).

Thanks,

-simon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saas Fee tends to be cheaper than Zermatt, IIRC. Personally, I'd head for St Anton by train from the airport. Not a cheap resort, but given the drop in the € it's probably cheaper than Zermatt.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Szymon,
Quote:

we deserve some skiing time to ourselves

what a good idea! We used to take our lot Christmas/New Year and on the very odd occasion February half term, but we did try to slide in a four or five days on our own sometimes. And the great thing then was that stopping for drinks and lunch suddenly became much more feasible financially - two of us, rather than five.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laax is great and very easy to get to. Swiss though so not inexpensive.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Szymon, Davos, Arosa, St Anton would all work and have lots of accommodation to choose from.

It's easy to ski til 4pm ish on that last day and still catch the late flight back to the UK from ZCH - saves the cost and faff of the hotel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fine, Zermatt it is Happy. We loved it there, did a bit of searching and have booked the Hotel Plateau Rosa http://www.plateaurosa.ch/ which appears to be even closer to the Matterhorn Express than the Antares that we stayed in last time we did this! A pretty reasonable (for Zermatt) £740 for five nights for two people, including breakfast. Now to sort out Ski Hire, Ski Passes, the train from Zurich (using the special tickets for people arriving by plane in Switzerland) and to find the details of the great ski school that we had a private lesson from last time.

Darn, there's a real buzz in organising a sneaky extra ski trip! Happy

-simon
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swiss trains are expensive. Will probably cost more than your flights
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@peanuthead, ?? Swiss trains are well cheap.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've not skied Davos, but I nearly did. There are some mountain huts - 2 or 3 I think that are very reasonably priced... I'm thinking aroiund the 65 EUR per night mark per person incl breakfast and dinner, and possibly even cheaper when it's all mid week.

But, Zermatt doesn't really disappoint, does it?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, I don't think so. Maybe you can book online in advance for good deals but I have always been fleeced when arriving at station and invariably train costs more than flight. Trains in CH are good though
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@peanuthead, Visitor's Pass in advance, fixed price for return from point of arrival to destination. Even cheaper if you have kids who are free.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Visitors pass, £99 return.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Davos is in the *ouch* area of expensive. Interesting though, and beautifully groomed in the main - even if getting buses up and down to get to the various areas is a bit of a PITA. Also not a place for those wary of your common-or-garden drag lift - unless you want to stick to the larger Parsenn/Jakobshorn areas.

I'd always thought Zermatt from Zurich was something of a mission ? Not risked the journey meself - my one day in Zermatt was getting over from Cervinia when the top lift finally deigned to open...

Hell - Switz is just expensive regardless. Always bluddy has been..... Sad Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jez -- I did both Zurich and Geneva when in Zermatt last (in from Zurich, out through Geneva). The train from Zurich is actually slightly shorter than GVA, and the station being right there at the airport is very convenient.

Have booked the Radisson Blu at Zurich airport for the return (flights on Saturday evening were all sold out).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really ? That's a surprise, I always assumed Geneva was the obvious place to get to Zermatt from..

You made the right choice anyway ! Zermatt's the pick of the crop in my book.. Smile
ski holidays
If we fly to Saas fee we fly into Zurich. It's actually quicker to visp, where we get the bus, than GVA. Makes no difference to cost though as the train/bus combo is universally priced on the transfer ticket.

I've only ever done the odd day in Zermatt as included on our lift passes in Saas, really need to do a trip there at some point to properly explore.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy