Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carry on Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
not a risqué 70's comedy, but I'm packing for my trip on Saturday and wondering what to do with my ski helmet - hold or carry on?

I've always put it in my hld luggage before as I can't fit it in my back pack, but then I usually see one or two people just clipping it to their hand luggage.

We are flying with flybe to Geneva so any guidance with either flybe or Geneva security (for the return trip) would be gratefully received.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helmets are actually quite delicate, so some people avoid putting them in hold baggage to make sure they don't get damaged... then they strap them to a rucksack and bash them all around the terminal and every arm rest in the 'plane and then shove it in an over head locker.

I put mine in hold luggage, I have a semi rigid bag so it's fairly well protected, but I accept that there's a risk there.

Security won't care, it's just a bit of plastic and foam to them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use a hard plastic suitcase in the hold so there's no chance of getting a helmet in there, and if it's in my hand luggage I know it has been looked after. Are you sure it won't fit in your hand luggage, do you just need some creative packing?

I've seen plenty of people clipping helmets to the outside of their bags, and surely if someone questions you, you can stick it on your head as protection from turbulence Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear it.

Due to the handling agent's stupidity at BHX a few years ago (they let too many oversize hand luggage bags onto the flight) I was asked to put my small day sack into the hold unless I could crush it under the seat in front of. Took the helmet out of my bag and wore it for the flight with my bag crushed up as directed.

Cabin crew thought it was vaguely amusing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just attach to bag, luckily as our daughter hasn't grown full legs yet, we put them under the seat in front of her with other bags.

Note, make sure that ear protectors don't fall off, otherwise you'll a) look silly when wearing the helmet with just one ear protector (it's impossible to find replacements), and b) when you are at 3000m in tignes on the glacier and the weather is very cold, one ear gets very cold whilst on the t-bars.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
took ours as carry on - put mine in the bottom of the rucksack and planned to put jnr's on top but he was so keen to show it off he carried it most of the way through the airport Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine goes in my backpack.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Husband insisted on strapping his to his rucksack once - I spent the journey trying to avoid being bashed on the arm by the darn thing, then again getting it out of the plane overhead, then it wouldn't fit in the miniscule overhead on the coach.

Hard sided case = good enough protection = undamaged helmet = happy wife.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only travelled once with my own but stuffed it inside my carry on. Couldn't face the idea of having it swinging around clipped to the outside, partly because you're likely to hit it on something and partly because you look like a plum.

May have to go in hold luggage on the next trip though, somehow I was up at 23kg (think my suitcase is heavy in itself) so may have to put at least one ski boot in my carry on to reduce weight!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stick mine on my head, take it off to go through the scanner, but otherwise just ignore whining airline staff - the line I have a soft skull normaly shuts them up anyhow Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Someone reported here recently that he wasn't allowed to carry on his helmet in addition to his cabin baggage. Seems reasonable to me (and to most of those who commented on the thread) - why should helmets be excluded from the luggage rules. People who think they are entitled to carry more than the next man are just a pain. Obviously if it will fit inside the cabin bag, no problem.

When I fly to ski, which is rarely, I put my helmet, full of small soft items like socks, in my rucksack, along with ski boots and it goes in the hold. Always weighing less than 17 kg - or I couldn't easily carry it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok, it's going in the hold luggage as per usual
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Idris wrote:
Stick mine on my head, take it off to go through the scanner, but otherwise just ignore whining airline staff - the line I have a soft skull normaly shuts them up anyhow Smile

Or tell them that you've flown with this airline/pilot before... and you've learnt that a helmet is necessary safety equipment. If they ask whether it is a Skiing helmet... then you say "No" and point them at the many threads on Snowheads where the benefits/myths of skiing in a helmet have been discussed Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jamescollings wrote:
Idris wrote:

Or tell them that you've flown with this airline/pilot before... and you've learnt that a helmet is necessary safety equipment. If they ask whether it is a Skiing helmet... then you say "No" and point them at the many threads on Snowheads where the benefits/myths of skiing in a helmet have been discussed Smile
Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I posted this question, I also decided to email flybe and ask them directly, interesting reply.....

"Dear Sack the Juggler

Thank you for your e-mail dated 3rd March 2015.

I can inform you that Ski Helmets along with other exceptional sporting items must be placed as hold luggage and cannot be taken as hand luggage with your bag.

Please feel free to ask any questions prior to your flight in order to ease your mind.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Flybe. Kind regards

Ryan Dooley
Customer Relations Administrator"
Puzzled
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
I use a hard plastic suitcase in the hold so there's no chance of getting a helmet in there.......

You just need a bigger case - my lid fits easily in my hard suitcase.

pam w wrote:
I put my helmet, full of small soft items like socks, in my rucksack, along with ski boots and it goes in the hold. Always weighing less than 17 kg - or I couldn't easily carry it.

That's a large (and heavy) rucksack Shocked
snow report
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Ski Helmets along with other exceptional sporting items

Not "usual" then?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Someone reported here recently that he wasn't allowed to carry on his helmet in addition to his cabin baggage. Seems reasonable to me (and to most of those who commented on the thread) - why should helmets be excluded from the luggage rules. People who think they are entitled to carry more than the next man are just a pain. Obviously if it will fit inside the cabin bag, no problem.

When I fly to ski, which is rarely, I put my helmet, full of small soft items like socks, in my rucksack, along with ski boots and it goes in the hold. Always weighing less than 17 kg - or I couldn't easily carry it.

Exactly what Pam said. In hold, with clothing packed around it. Never had any problems with mine.
Saves the risk that they won't allow you on with it, or carrying it around if it can't go in your hand luggage.
ski holidays
Whenever I've carried my rucksack as carry on cabin baggage (and have my ski bag as checked hold luggage) then I attach my helmet to the outside of the rucksack. I've never been asked to put it inside my rucksack at either check in, or when boarding the plane.
snow report
Quote:

That's a large (and heavy) rucksack

not really - though it is a proper rucksack, not a wee day bag. My daughter bought it for her gap year travel but now she's got two small kids I do a lot more travelling than she does.wink Fully loaded, including ski boots, it's well under the weight for hold baggage - though admittedly at the limit of what I can carry. It's a small framed women's rucksack, and lightweight. I can carry the bare essentials for a week's skiing with no space to spare for those extra things which "might come in handy", get on and off buses, trains, etc with hands free, up and down stairs and over railway bridges and once it's checked, just walk through the airport and through security with a very small carry on bag.
snow conditions
@pam w, a lady after my own heart.

For three of us, we check in one ski bag, with wheels at 23 kg, with 3 pairs of ski's, poles and one pair of boots. Two other boots, 3 helmets and clothes for 8 days goes in carry on and the personal item. Even brought a laptop last time. Oldest needed to homework. Sundries in ski bag. ez-pz lemon squeezy.
ski holidays
@Red Leon, it already carries ski boots. It's more the flattish shape than size - it has a zip cover to stop stuff falling out of the lid, but that makes the compartments too narrow for a helmet. The suitcases are a few years older than my ski hobby! It's fine, I'd rather carry a light helmet in a backpack than a pair of heavy ski boots anyway.
snow report
interestingly (or not) I asked why ski helmets were considered "exceptional sporting items"

and this is the response....
Quote:

Thank you for your latest e-mail dated 4th March 2015.

The larger helmets such as motorcycle helmets and ski helmets are heavy duty items, and are considered dangerous item. It is in the interest of passenger safety to deal with anything considered dangerous in an appropriate manner.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Flybe.

Kind regards

Ryan Dooley
Customer Relations Administrator

don't know what kind of ski helmets Ryan wears, but mine is quite light, just bulky Puzzled
ski holidays
This morning... At 6:30... I boarded a flight from Luton to Geneva with a single piece of Handluggage (within the dimensions defined by Easyjet). Inside the bag wee my boots and helmet (and clothes!). Nobody asked me anything nor forced me to prove that my bag was within limits.

My mate boarded with his boots inside a wheelie case, but his helmet strapped to the handle and dangling free. Nobody challenged him either.
snow conditions
It really depends on not only the airline - many have rules that state you can't take boots in your hand luggage - and also the Hitler-esque check in staff at some airports.

Personally speaking, the last thing I need/want checking in at the crack of dawn is being told my boots/helmets can't go in my carry on bag and will need to be checked in, then half unpacking to get them in or risk the boot bag on its own at the wrath of various baggage handlers.

Samsonite hard sided cases, my boots and helmet in one, husband's board bindings and helmet in the other. Never had any breakages of any description in our cases, and we have brought back souvenir pint pots snaffled from various places for many years in them! So I doubt any issues with our helmets in them, particularly as we pad around and in them.
ski holidays
Not had a problem so far. Since everything got more limited I stopped taking my monster rucksack for the hold that everything including boots and helmet would fit into, so I just carry the helmet with hand luggage. When I check in I never mention the cabin luggage, just check in the hold bags. By the time you get to the gate they're not going to mess about usually and don't kick up a fuss for a lightweight helmet. They could decide to stick it in the hold, though I'd want it in a well padded container. They're not much different from cycle helmets and a sufficient knock damages it to the extent it's no longer advisable to wear it.

At one point I used to manage to get the helmet stuffed in a boot bag with the boots and padded it as much as possible, but it would get bashed about too much.

When I had it in the rucksack I went fractionally over the weight limit one time and they were insisting I pay a fortune for over weight. When I insisted I'd rather not they did just suggest I take the helmet and boots out, and they tagged them as carry on at no extra cost. Same weight on plane, go figure!

Anyway, usually carry on bag or helmet will fit under the seat in front and the other goes in the overhead no problem. If you're booked in an exit seat though then I can see they might kick up a fuss.

As for it being dangerous due to weight, well they're very lightweight compared to motorbike helmets, and besides I could whack someone round the head with my tablet or camera and do more damage, but they're allowed.
snow conditions
deadkenny wrote:
I went fractionally over the weight limit one time ......they did just suggest I take the helmet and boots out

If they suggested you remove your ski boots, I think you must have been more than 'fractionally' over the weight limit. My boots weight about 6kg Puzzled
latest report
deadkenny wrote:
Same weight on plane, go figure!

Not the same weight for the baggage handlers to lift though. 20kg isn't too heavy when you're lifting one or two bags, if you're moving them all day though it probably starts to get uncomfortable.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy