Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone used any of the UK runs?

Poster: A snowHead
So this year's ski holiday ended about 5 weeks ago and I have been pining for the pistes ever since.

I intend to get back up the local fridge over summer (when it's cheaper and less busy) to get practising as I still have a lot to learn, but I have crazy ideas about getting what cheap and accessible outdoor skiing where I can.

So I thought, maybe I could buy some second hand skis off eBay, with the sole intention of popping over to one of the UK pistes on the weekends we have enough snow next winter. (I'd still be hiring them when I go abroad, so they would just be used for local trips).

I have these twinkly dreams of the runs being reasonably long, and getting into the outdoors and having a bit more fun than can be had up the ChillFactore.

I can get to the ones in the Lakes and Northumbria/County Durham reasonably easily, The Beacons and Scotland are a bit far, though for a weekend jolly. the 1hr long trek to Raise sounds a bit too much, though :\

Does anyone visit them? Are they any good? (for the UK, that is) Also, how busy do they get? Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@STyler, it's worth reading the thread which includes regular reports. YOu may be a little optimistic if you think this is going to be anything like the alps...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114659
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Scottish centres have skiing as good as Europe on their day. Proper mountains with long runs. There is still plenty of this season left so go for it! Personal favourite is Glencoe for the most exciting skiing/interesting mountain, probably the quickest to reach from the South as well (M74 to Glasgow, about 1.5 to 2 hrs from there). Nevis and Glenshee have more modern facilities, Cairngorm is the most resorty but usually too crowded for me. The Lecht has the least variety, but is pretty sheltered and never seems to close completely. The best resort is the one with the best snow and weather on the day.

The key is the weather, go last minute when the weather will be good, don't plan a weekend to one particular resort long in advance or you might be disappointed if the wind closes all the lifts. My advice would be to head up on Friday night, stay somewhere cheap and central and then drive on up to whichever resort looks to have the best conditions. Have fun!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Disclaimer: I definitely am not expecting to compare these trips to the Alps, etc. I really just want reasonably long runs and some outdoors fun. The indoor ski slopes get boring very quickly (even for me) with the queues and very short runs to the end.

That thread is great, thanks!

RE: Glencoe - what sort of level are the slopes there? I'm not such a great skiier (yet!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@STyler, Glencoe has easy greens (plateau) and some fun blues (main basin, happy valley) as well as some harder runs. If you are confident in the fridge and can use tow lifts then you have plenty of choice. It is not ideal for complete beginners because the plateau poma which serves the greens is also the main access and can get very crowded early on in the day.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I Skied Glenshee last Friday, and had a great day. The snow was in good condition and I was pleasently suprised at the variety of runs. Plenty of places to hire equipment on the way to the slopes too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
STyler wrote:
RE: Glencoe - what sort of level are the slopes there? I'm not such a great skiier (yet!)

Glencoe has runs for every level, varying from gentle green runs on a par with the European nursery slopes to challenging black runs, one of which is steeper than you'll find anywhere in the Alps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My problem with Scotland (I'm in Manchester) is just how far and how long it takes to get to all the areas. I mean, flying is fast and cheap enough, but nowhere is near an airport which then means hiring a car and driving for another couple of hours.

It seems driving the whole way is the easiest solution, but then we're talking... approx 6 hours drive each way... with accommo bookings which could all go wrong if the weather/wind is bad.

Do you guys all live closer? How do you get around the logistics? All these places sound great, if only I could make it work
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The indoor ski slopes get boring very quickly (even for me)

the best idea for the indoor slopes is to have lessons. You can do a lot to improve technique, with the right instructor. Then it's not boring.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eh, I'm doing that... I have a long way to go and I'm going to drill the lessons and the practising there in the summer.. but it's still pretty boring, especially compared with the piste... I just want a bit more
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My initial post may be taken as disimissive, it's not - I love skiing in scotland and have previously said that a two-week caravan trip round all the scottish ski centres was possibly the best holiday I've ever had. However, as you say, conditions on some days were not conducive to skiing which means that from Manchester it's a hell of a gamble and one I've not taken very often. That two week trip was considered a holiday where we might get some skiing in, and we struck lucky. To be honest for me even the english ski slopes are a bit of a gamble with a three hour drive each way
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is a gamble. I happened to be in Edinburgh last week, so took my kit and was lucky. I think most of the resorts were closed or very limited Mon, Tues, Thursday due to gales. Wednesday was spot on weather, but I was working and Friday was overcast but not too windy so I chanced it. Glad I did!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
STylerWe are (snow permitting) regular visitors to the ahem Pennines 'resorts.' Much better than an indoor fridge:

- Yad Moss: One drag lift of about 600m; vertical drop of 125m; 10 min steep uphill walk to the lift; day members welcome whenever lift is open (except on very busy weekends); fairly easy road access (though prone to drifting on exposed approach from Durham side) so can suffer a long lift queue; fairly varied skiing each side of the tow; fanatical piste grooming to maximise use of whatever snow falls; ski/boot hire available at nearby outdoor centre.

- Weardale: Members only on weekends; x2 drag lifts, one above the other, totalling 5 or 600m (??); total vertical about 160m; some fun, varied and more extensive than Yad Moss skiing in full snow cover (inc. gullies and steeps); road access often tricky - 2.5 miles up a single track, steep, Pennines mountain road, with snow chains often required; often not too busy due to tricky access and there being 2 lifts; no equipment hire anywhere near.

Allenheads: Never tried it. A bit put off by the rope tow and short (compared to Yad and Weardale) runs.

Meanwhile, Scotland areas are 250-ish miles (Glencoe/Glenshee) to 300 miles (Nevis Range/Cairngorm) away from us - ie 4.5 to 5 hrs drive - about the same from Manchester?? So perfectly doable for as little as a 1 night/1 ski day trip when the weather plays ball. All no bother once you get used to the drive wink .

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 2-03-15 20:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@STyler, We've had a good season in the Lakes this season-on a good day it's fantastic but I'm only 30mns away. The hike up sorts the men from the boys! It's not difficult per se but demanding with all your kit and shouldn't be tackled by novices on their own who aren't experienced in a mountain environment (particularly in winter).

I'm also 4 hours away from Glencoe and Nevis. They really are as good as anywhere on a good day, I have the added bonus my in-laws are up there so Dec-April I stick my gear in the car. If the conditions warrant the effort I'll ski if not I wait.

Also consider some of the glacial ski areas around Europe for summer skiing too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

popping over to one of the UK pistes

The word "piste" might be misleading. The Brecon Beacons, for example, are just hills which sometimes have snow on. There isn't anything approximating to a "piste" in the usual sense of the word as used in English.
latest report
^ Sorry, pam w, got to take issue with that. I've skied some perfect groomed pistes in England and Scotland.
latest report
So have I, but not in the Brecon Beacons. And my friends who go touring in North Wales are just on snowy hills too.
snow report
OK, I thought you were referring to 'the UK pistes' you quoted. While we're at it though, I think Wales needs a ski tow serving a real hill with natural snow. And one in Norn Ireland too. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:
The word "piste" might be misleading....
Maybe in the Brecon Beacons but certainly not in Scotland or England's North Pennines wink. The snow is back in the Pennines and groomed corduroy could yet be a goer in the next couple of days Smile

EDIT: Whoops Moffatross - posted this to find you had already replied along similar lines!

Corduroy R us:

Caution - piste basher approaching:
snow conditions
I should have said "misleading in some cases" as the OP specifically mentioned the Beacons amongst the UK pistes. I think people should walk up the hills; makes men of them. wink
latest report
Much easier to access the Pennine areas from the Northeast, it is quite time consuming from Manchester. Been to Yad Moss, Weardale and Raise but not for a few years. Weardale is actually a good fun area but the access road is pretty severe. The walk up to Raise was very pleasant, only got slightly lost once and the people up there were really friendly. Went to Yad Moss a couple of times but it was getting quite busy the last time I was there. Terrain not as steep as Raise. Glencoe is only a 4 1/2 - 5 hr drive from Manchester but my work doesn't finish until 7 so I always drive to Glasgow on Friday and get a cheap hotel there. Up early Saturday to get to Glencoe for 8.10/Nevis for 8.50 usually but Glenshee equally doable and Cairngorm a few times too. Stay somewhere between FW and Ballachulish sat night. Aviemore is a better night out but doesn't make up for the queues at Cairngorm. Everything you need for 2 decent nights out, nothing like skiing the Alps. Leave about 3, stop for dinner at 6, home between 9-10, 2 full days skiing, no time off and going with 1 other, costs easily under £200 all in. snowHead
snow report
pam w wrote:
I should have said "misleading in some cases" as the OP specifically mentioned the Beacons amongst the UK pistes. I think people should walk up the hills; makes men of them. wink

I found what you wrote to be perfectly clear.

I like walking up hills. Not so convinced I also want to carry skis up them.
snow report
Quote:
Not so convinced I also want to carry skis up them
No bother when attached to a rucksack - or if there's enough snow to skin up wink.
latest report
Been to Another World near Halifax, 2 or 3 rope tows serving 4 different ways down, including a few little jumps and rollers. Might be some snow there at the moment, I can see snow on the hills of Derbyshire.
snow conditions
I'm lucky-ish living in Aberdeen. The Lecht is 50 miles away but has a steep hill on the journey from the South which sometimes becomes impassable. Glenshee is 65 miles away. Cairngorm is 'kin miles away!
The weather can be completely different in the three Cairngorm Massif ski 'resorts' on any given day.

This website:
http://www.winterhighland.info/
It's the bible as far as I'm concerned. They also do an app which will work in dodgy mobile areas (i.e. the whole of the area outside the big cities in Scotland...) Don't believe the reports on their own, look at the panoramic photos to back up the claims.
snow report
I also live in Aberdeen and go to Glenshee quite a bit. It's important to pick your day based on the forecast one or two days before, which kind of rules out booking a ski break in Scotland months in advance - unless you make a variety of plans as there's plenty of other outdoors activities to do. Or there's always distilleries Smile

I've had some really good days at Cairngorm too - feels the most modern of the areas but can get a bit mobbed. Also Aviemore is a great base or starting point for other activities (we canoed the Spey from Aviemore to the sea last summer, which was incredible).

Would second using Winterhighland as a source of info.
snow conditions
bobmcstuff wrote:
Would second using Winterhighland as a source of info.

This. Excellent website.
latest report
Thanks everyone for the advice, it's been really helpful, and actually, I'm thinking hard about getting up to one of the Scottish resorts, I think I ruled them out too hastily.

This means that I'm going to need to travel up in the evening in the car, and stay over at least 1 night. So, I'm limited to when I can do this.

The next whole available weekend I have is the Easter Bank Holiday (dun, dun, deeeeeer!)
Thursday 2nd to Monday 6th April
So, it's going to be busy. If there is even still snow at that time.

So, my approach is to aim for Glencoe as I've heard it's a better bet for late snow (is this correct?)
If there's snow, YES!!! If there's not, it's a cheap enough trip and it will be a bloody lovely place to spend easter weekend, and I am a happy hiker, lazer, book reader.

I *think* I've covered my worse case scenario, but it this folly? Could I do better?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied end of March at Cairngorm last year & the snow was great. Base yourself somewhere central-ish. I live in Perthshire and am basically within 2 hours of Glencoe, Glenshee & Cairngorm so can choose on the day. Have even been known to keep driving to the Lecht when the Cairngorm queues looked unbearable Very Happy I love Glenshee when Glas Maol is open. It just feels like skiing abroad & is such good fun.
snow conditions
The west coast seems to have had the better snowfall this year. (Glencoe and Nevis Range). I tend to watch the weather. Two or three day forecasts are usually accurate enough for me, but it is usually a last minute decision whether or not to go. This is because I like skiing on sunny days, with low wind, when snow is fresh and plentiful. I also agree that I tend not to go to Glenshee these days unless Glas Maol is open, and most lifts are open. It is a bit further to Glenshee for me, and it tends to be a bit more tougher drive (you need to be very alert from Blairgowrie onwards).

Cairngorm is even further, and only really worth going to if all the lifts are open and the weather is great. I do go there, but I have to get up too early, and a half day skiing is out of the question due to the petrol costs.

I only skied at the Lecht when I was sleeping in the back of a van. It is really just for beginners in my opinion. (lots of kids there, limited skiing for intermediates or experts)

If I was travelling from England to go skiing in Scotland, I would check the weather. Try to avoid weekends if you can, and go when the weather is best. Check the snow reports, and listen to what the resorts say about lifts being open or not and the wind.

Then drive up to somewhere cheap but easy to drive to any resort. (this could be anywhere central at the end of the motorways, from Stirling, Perth, or look at the road junctions) Stirling would be good for a stop at a Travellodge. Then get up early (5 or 6 am) and drive to the resort with the most lifts and runs open.

If the weather is really bad, then drive to the fridge in Glasgow near the airport. (if you are a beginner and need some lessons you can get some there)

I have a slight bias where I am for Glencoe, but Nevis Range and Glenshee are similar distances. Cairngorm is a bit further, and I prefer Glenshee or Glencoe in good weather anyway. No real reason for me to go to Cairngorm, even though it has a furnicular. I tend not to go when the wind is howling so it has no real benefit to me.

There used to be a formula 1 in Falkirk, but I think it has closed now. Not sure where the cheapest accomodations are. There are obviously youth hostels in Stirling, and near to Glencoe, Cairngorm, Nevis Range. Take a tent, or a mattress in the back of a van.

Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy