Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth upgrading boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So I've had my current pair of low end boots (head edge +) for three years now - they fit well (-after some work at profeet when I got my foot beds done) and cause me no obvious problems. I've been skiing for six years, and enjoy continuing to learn, but suspect I'll never get to a particularly advanced level - currently working on improving on harder reds.

Now, I'll be out in les Arcs at the end of the month, and judging from last year they'll be some end of season bargains to be had, so the question is, should I take the opportunity to upgrade? Would I see any material impact to my skiing from a better pair of boots - or at least enough to make it worth going through the hassle of the whole re-fit process? How would my current boots be holding me back?

I'm not a particularly aggressive skier for my level, though being on the big side at 14.5 stone, I imagine I load the boot up when I go for it. On the other hand, I don't have great flexion in my ankles, so not sure the softness of the boots (60) really matters. So all things considered, would you think I'll get enough out of a change, or should I hold out for a bit longer?

Any input much appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're about the same weight as me. In my old 80'flex boots I got really bad foot and ankle pains because my boots were more flexible than my ankles. This wasn't a problem for the first few years I had the boots but the combination of me skiing harder and the Inners packing down turned them old boots into torture machine. Moved to 120 flex boots with a much better fit and both my skiing and my comfort improved.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pejoli, if your boots are truly 60 flex, then they are way, way too soft for you at 14.5 stone. I would think you would get an improvement out of a firmer and "better" boot. Also out of doing some flexibility exercises...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pejoli, Agree with under a new name, they are way too soft for you at an intermediot level and 14.5st.

As a starting point as you say you are not particularly aggressive I would start at 90 flex and possibly upto a 110 flex ( but rememebr the flex is only an indication and also not consistent from one manufacturer to another plus without seeing you ski hard to recommend a higher flex than the 110 ). As you have mentioned profeet you will be aware that fit is the most important factor but as you buy higher end boots this is even more important as you need them to be a much closer fit that will transmit every imput.

If they are close to you I would say call into profeet and have a word with them before you go on your holiday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How do you know what flex your boots are?! Just looked at mine and can't see anything on them to guess what the flex is or which particular model of boot to look up online
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MCL wrote:
How do you know what flex your boots are?! Just looked at mine and can't see anything on them to guess what the flex is or which particular model of boot to look up online

Flex will often be in the model number of the boot. So for example Atomic Hawx 100, would be 100 flex. However, there is no standard for flex, so it is only directly relevant within that manufacturers range. By that I mean, a Salomon 100 flex boot, might be different to an Atomic, K2, Tecnica etc.

If there is nothing related to the model on your boot, Google image the boot manufacturer to find something that looks like it, then check from there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MCL,

Some boots do have it on but if not google the make and model may provide the info for you. If they are older boots they may not have any info re flex at all. If you can not find the info post the make model and year on here someone may know.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Found them online- they're 70 flex (and according to the Salomon website intermediate to advanced) http://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-ski-boots/salomon-mynx-womens.aspx - I ski reds, some blacks and odd mess about off piste and like trying bumps.

I'm quite light (8 stone) so thinking they are still ok! Very Happy

@Pejoli, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread- you asked a question I'd been wondering for a while Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do it Pejoli. You know you want to anyway, that's why you're here...

I replaced my ageing saggy intermediate Salomons for some of the above mentioned Hawx and they hold everything together so much better. Makes you want to go at it a bit more and that's how you improve. You'll spend less time worrying whether your input will do anything and more time finding out what that input does. Worked for me...might for you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm a little hardcore, @MCL, and not a boot fitter, but 70 flex is good for kids or young teens...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, popped into Nevis Sports in Glasgow to chat with someone there yesterday and yes think I will need to upgrade! Will look at getting some new boots over the summer Very Happy

Nooo I shouldn't have read this thread Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, the people have clearly spoken - sloped off work yesterday and popped into Ellis Brigham in Stratford just to see what's what. Ended up in a pair of adapt edge 100s which felt pretty good. Unfortunately didn't have anything else in my size 30 to compare to, so they are ordering in a pair of [something else I can't remember]. Mind you, have just noticed those heads are on sale at £187, so very tempted.

One question - when they did the shell check (they had some dowels to judge the size) there was extra room beyond the biggest comfort fit dowel - my bigger foot measured in at 29.6 so the 30 was given me a bit more slack. However with the liner in, my toe was still touching the end even when I flexed - not massively, but felt a bit claustrophobic. Should I be expecting that before the liners pack in a bit, and if I went for a smaller more aggressive sizing, would it feel even more squashed? Is it an act of faith that the liners will sort themselves out over time? And, given how much slack there was in the shell, should I risk a 29.5?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would trust the shell check. The liner will pack out after 10 days or so of use. If you still are touching the front when flexed, get them punched in that area. Don't buy too big boots!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pejoli, i'd go down a shell size. Boots can always be made bigger. They can't sensibly be made smaller...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also the liners will compress around your feet in time, so better a really tight, snug fit when they are new as inevitably they will slacken slightly through use.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy