Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra please help

Poster: A snowHead
I am going skiing in Andorra for a weekend 20 & 21 Jan, can anyone give me the name of a good hotel? can I stay in Andorra de Vella and drive to the slopes, never been to andorra so trying to make sure it isn't a disaster,.
Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.andorramania.com/index_gb.htm This site gives lists of hotels. I'd stay in the resort unless there was some other reason for staying in "de Vella" The traffic through Andorra in general is pretty bad so being in resort cuts travelling time significantly. If you check other threads you will find that the "Sport hotel" in Soldeu is quite popular. I've never stayed but many have and say it's good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pazpalmer, been a couple of times once in the Sport Hotel Village and once in The piolets. The 2 sport hotels are very good, though i have heard the piolets park is pretty good too.
try to stay in the village rather than Andorra de Vella as it's alot easier to access the slopes and less hassle. (especailly parking wise)
hope this helps
Rob
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pazpalmer, As suggested, the Sport Hotels are great, with their new one, the Ludico just opened - with its own spa - very impressive. Soldeu is just a road, but the hotels are very good, avoid Pas de la Casa (unless you are 19 year old snowboarders) and Arinsal is just for beginners. Other good ones are the Piolets Park & Spa and also the Himalaia Soldeu is good.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pazpalmer, like rob and sharon, have also stayed in both Piolets and Sport Hotel Village. Piolets was/is cheaper and not as nice as the SHV in my opinion. In my view Soldeu is definitely the place to stay, not la Vella.
Have a great time
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob and sharon, I knew you would post on this as soon as I saw the word Andorra Very Happy .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which airport are you flying into? If you are going for a weekend then the easiest resort to get to is Pas de la Casa. try http://www.grandvalira.com/gv/home.aspx?lang=4 for hotels.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jon2211, I am flying to Gerona (Spain) , I have skied quite alot so it looks like Soldeu is going to be best. Thanks for the info
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pazpalmer, I found Soldeu great fun. If you're only going for a couple of day's you should have a blast. The snow conditions seem OK too. Have fun!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote here for the Himalaia, and also my fave is the Hotel Soldeu Maestre.
Sport might be a little quieter as a bit uphill from the busier bars.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just come back from Arinsal and just booked a flight to Girona for the 19th to 24th of Feb. Now I was looking at a hotel in La Vella and to ski in the Gran Valeira, read the above thread and now not so sure.

Problem is I have a limited budget (having just spent close to £1000 over xmas skiing), and the hotel prices are astronomical compared with La Vella, anyone know of a compromise hotel, maybe a cheaper hotel but still within easy reach of Soldeu?

Or any other advice on where to stay? I will have a car for the week by the way. Incidentally staying in La Vella B&B for 5 nights, car hire and flights (Ryanair) is coming in at £185! Not bad for a peak week and the flight times mean that I can get 5 days skiing in.

As for Arinsal I would recommend it for beginners only, I am a snowboarder who learned to ski for the first time, if I was boarding I would have got pretty bored by the end of the week. As I was skiing a good time was had by all!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monkfish, welcome to snow heads snowHead
Are you looking for Arinsal only ? or are other resorts options ok
There are a few cheapish places in Soldeu.
check out http://www.igluski.com/ for some ideas
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not looking for Arinsal, looking at getting the Gran Valiera lift pass and 'doing' Soldeu, Pas and El Tarter

Guess the question is should I go for the budget hotel in La Vella and drive in or go for the (much) more expensive resort hotel.

£36 for b&b for 2 per night in La Vella in 3* hotel! (which gets reasonable reviews online)

Cheers for the help!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monkfish, personal opinion is go for a little more expence and closer. Means you have less hassle getting to and from the resort. This is a personal view as it's based on experience. I was injured (twisted knee after collision) on the first trip to Andorra and found that having a hotel near the slope meant I didn't have to hobble far wink
remember after a day skiing you ideally don't want to have to fight the traffic and crowds to get back, especially if weather turns.
have you looked over this website http://www.grandvalira.com/gv/home.aspx?lang=4
as this might give you some ideas
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok taking on the advice here what about Encamp? There are a few hotels listed as being within 1km of the lifts up to the Gran Valeira, and still priced within our budget. Encamp ok? Or should I go the extra few pennies for Soldeu?
snow report
Monkfish, Encamp isn't a bad town, it has one of our favourite restaurants in the area "El Crocodillo" (mind you it's four years since we were there so who knows what it's like these days). I've never tried the lift link up from there but it looks pretty good, I'd have thought it's well worth considering as an alternative to Soldeu.
snow report
Monkfish wrote:
anyone know of a compromise hotel, maybe a cheaper hotel but still within easy reach of Soldeu?

The ere are two hotels c 1.5km uphill from Soldeu village centre, Hotel Austria and Confort (IIRC)

The Austria is well appointed and self contained with bar and disco bar downstairs and bizarre supermarket next door (booze, ski equipment, garden ornaments etc). TOs put on a bus to and from the gondola and there are local busses that do the trip more frequently.

The quiet location, compared to the late night revellers that spill out of the Aspen and Fat Alberts is a bonus but on the other hand youre a bit detached (after a hard days skiing, trip home, scrub up and evening meal its hard to get motivated to get on a bus back down). I recall busses back up the hill used to stop fairly early, or at least didnt seem that convenient but taxi service has improved in recent years.

Hotel Austria served us well.
snow conditions
Gone for the Guillem Hotel in Encamp, 500m from the Funitel
Had problems getting places as we are only staying from the 19th to the 24th of Feb

cheers for the advice
latest report
Monkfish, enjoy yourself and let us know what it's like. We're out there a couple weeks before you so will try to post some updates. snowHead
snow conditions
OK so were staying at Encamp and looking at getting the Funicamp to the ski areas, but how do you get back to the Funicamp for the journey home? It is possible with lifts etc but only by doing red runs (according to the piste map anyway) and I am not quite ready for the reds just yet with only 6 days skiing under my belt!

Anyone been and done the above and have any similar experience? For now its looking like Funicamp up and bus back round to get home until I am ready to tackle the reds.
ski holidays
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The pistes are very open and you can take the easy line down. I think the reds are more like the blues of some French resorts. A lot of the skiing is cruising with just a few steep bits. Funnily enough one of the hardest bits is right where the funicamp chucks you out. Don't let that put you off when you first get there. The top 100 yds is steep/tight then it opens up. (Depends which piste you take).
If you are only a 1 week skiier I'm assuming you'll be getting some lessons. The teacher will take you places that will give you confidence, hopefully. If you are not planning to get lessons then I'd think about it.
snow report
The Parador Canaro (just 1km south of Soldeu) is great, really good value and nice food. Very convenient (on main road) assuming you have a car. Have stayed there twice (flying in both times to Girona for the weekend skiing)
latest report
Yes I am looking at lessons, more for my partner than me as my previous snowboarding experience seems to have given me a big head-start (anyone else found this?) however the ski schools seem to be a bit of a trek from the Funicamp.

So the two options I have are:-

a) get a hire car to Encamp then use the Funicamp for all our travel needs
or
b) get a bigger hire car that can fit skis in it and travel by road to the other resorts

As there are easy blues down from the Funicamp option a is favourite at the moment, even if it means we have to get the bus back at the end of the first few days if getting back to the Funicamp is too tricky for us.
snow conditions
T-Dub wrote:
The ere are two hotels c 1.5km uphill from Soldeu village centre, Hotel Austria and Confort (IIRC)

Do you (or anyone else here) know anything about the Confort? We'll be staying there this trip out....I know it's a bit out of town but any info about rooms/food etc gratefully received.

Monkfish sorry to highjack your question!
snow conditions
I feel it is my duty to warn others about the Hotel Austria, wink it has sloping window ledges making it impossibile to leave the bottle of Cava on, which is required for the post skiing bath Sad However a solution was found which involved filling a supemarket poly bag with snow using the avalanche shovel, avoid getting delayed at the reception desk, otherwise the resulting puddle you will get you funny looks. Empty the snow into the bidet and bury the bottle of Cava in it, by the time you have run the bath it will be chilled, a bonus was that the bottle could be reached from the bath for topping up ones glass. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy