Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All 5 Milky Way Resorts in a Day.... Is it possible?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

I made it here and can't wait to strap my feet in tomorrow. Quick question...

I the past we've done some distance trips (Le Brevt to Val glacier & back, La Tania to the hidden valley and back (I know, we should have started in 16 or 1550!!). Currently in Sestriere and wondering if it was possible to do all 5 resorts in the Milky Way in a day (First lift obviously!)

Anyone done it? Is it possible? Any suggestions on where to find a route/ advice?

Cheers in advance!

Crem x
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As far as I remember the route is marked on the printed piste map. I'd be skeptical about being able to do it in a single day though. There's a bit of faffing around with slow lifts up and down around Cesana. Unnecessary stress towards the lift closing times if you're nowhere near your base yet.

Edit: Just found it on their website: http://www.vialattea.it/Ski-Area/Ski-Map
It's that orange/green line. Looks like cheating to me. You get 5 resorts, but don't get to their farthest points.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doable but really not worth it. Far too much time spent on lifts with little skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have done from Montgenevre, but would agree with @sequoiaboard, not really worth it, we didn't get enough time to get a proper sense of what each resort had to offer and were on a lot of lifts and "roads" all day.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, might have a look into doing that whilst I'm there... I arrive in Sauze d'Oulx on the 14th March. I wonder if you can do it with a group as part of a guided ski tour - probably more difficult or not at all now that the Italians have followed the French example in clamping down on TO ski reps doing it. The orange and green remind me of the markings on the Dolomiti Superski domain piste map for the clockwise and anti-clockwise Sella Ronda routes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@scubadancer, Your TO might offer a day trip to Monty, that'll be a minibus/coach to Monty in time for first lifts. That might be worthwhile. Monty by lifts will be a morning of sitting on lifts (many slow) a couple of runs in Monty then a stressful afternoon wondering if you'll get back to base before the lifts close.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can be done but don't take the blue piste90 ski road coming down to Cesana as it's long winding and flat; Instead download on chairs 39+40... That whole section is a long string of lifts going in both directions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Solway Crem, Yep done it a couple of times. Sauze to Montgenevre via Sestriere, Cesana and Claviere not a difficult trip to do.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If staying in sestriere ski around there sauze and sansicario on a daily basis. Do the bus trip to montgenevre so you can ski there all day. Worth the 20 euro bus fare with crystal

Agree worth blue piste 90. It is the worst run I have ever been on. Took ages and is not really skiing.

You can do the whole milky way in a day easily but more on lists than actual skiing and would be a waste of a day in my opinion
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@scubadancer, in a nutshell, doable, but unrewarding. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikeelsa wrote:
... Do the bus trip to montgenevre so you can ski there all day. Worth the 20 euro bus fare with crystal....

I've heard this before, and it sounds like a good plan to me... Thanks Very Happy

mikeelsa wrote:
....You can do the whole milky way in a day easily but more on lists than actual skiing and would be a waste of a day in my opinion.

^^ Sounds like the anti-clockwise Sella Ronda tour!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A thread running of weekend had focused on irresponsible skiing - ie too fast considering how busy and narrow the piste is. I don't want to sound negative but It made me think that the times when I've probably done this are when I've set myself a bit of a challenge for the day or had to get back to get vital links etc. I guess the point I'm making is that mileage and route targets can suddenly put us under pressure to ski in a way that we wouldn't normally.
I must be getting old Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The link between Claviere and Sansicario via Cesana is pretty non-descript (certainly when Croce isn't open) as well as being time consuming so to answer your question - don't bother
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A group of friends did it a few years ago when we were staying in Borgata. But they cheated: they got a helicopter back (from the top of Monte della Luna to the top of Alpette).

Following day we did it ourselves - without the helicopter and did get up into the snowpark at the top of Montgenevre. This was before the new gondola from Cesana to Sansicario was built, so it's a bit quicker now.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 2-03-15 14:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd rather ski than bus it even if the run isn't that interesting
latest report
Doable and fun for the sake of having done it. We went at it with real pace and got round in a longish January day! Our trip was mixed boarders and skiers, dads and sons, all good skiers, two of the lads were instructors. we even got part of the party lost on the way and as always it was a professional navigator, in the form of a retired professional offshore yacht skipper! he didn't get his leg pulled at all - not even slightly!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy