Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heated Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
I suffer really badly with cold hands but never really wanted to spend the money on heated gloves. Having invested in the last pair of Hestra's for £95 (and still being cold), I decided to go for it and invest in a pair of Zanier Heated GTX gloves. There aren't many stockists in the UK and for the few that do stock them the RRP is around the £290 mark.

I decided to look on the internet in Europe and wanted to share a little insight to you all. If you're interested in buying Zanier heated gloves (male or female) go on the German Amazon site. Ended up getting my gloves for 324 Euros, which is about £174, a MASSIVE saving. We are members of Amazon Prime (UK), it must have registered this also on the German site and we still got the free delivery. They arrived within 5 days. They have a European plug but I've charged them at home with a travel adaptor and they work fine. Really looking forward to testing them out for real when we go to Canada later this month.

Just thought I'd let any other cold hand sufferers know about the saving.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JohnDory, Something wrong with your exchange rate. Euro 324 is about £236 at today's rate.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JohnDory, please do post review. TOH has moved to Blazewear inners and is very pleased. So far £160 with 3 pairs of batteries (on full heat one set only lasts ~2 hours).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 1-03-15 18:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SportPursuit have 30seven heated gloves on offer at the moment...

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/30seven-mar15
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DJL, I think there is a typo in there, I just looked on Amazon.de and they were 234 not 324€
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, you're right, typo by me (Doh), they were 240 Euro . I've had them on for 30mins in the house and they started to warm up nicely. I'll let you know how I get on in Canada. Got to be an improvement on Gloves + Silver liners + Little Hotties!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnDory, for sure! (Sounds like you, not unusually, suffer from Reynaud's)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have had the Snowlife, Hestra and Black Diamond heated gloves which all used the same Therm-ic electronics as the old GTX (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zanier-Gloves-Heat-GTX/dp/B005I1XCGA?tag=amz07b-21). Every pair I had failed within 2 weeks and was replaced under warranty, but all the replacements stayed working.

It appears that these Zanier GTX's are a redesigned new version with a single control button. I've now bought Outdoor Research Lucent gloves which are about the same price due to the strong pound, and my initial impression is that they provide massively more heat than the old system. They were due for a full 2 week test in Whistler, but since winter has been cancelled in BC, they probably won't be troubled by -15C temperatures.

Pretty much everything is now 15-20% cheaper due to the exchange £/€ rate, so now is the time to buy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bought a pair of Therm-ic mittens last month from Ellis Brigham and they were faulty (only one hand worked)
Returned them and the replacement pair had the same problem, the girl did say they were the 5th pair returned and was going to advise HQ of the problem and in her opinion they shouldn't be selling them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apologies for diverting the thread slightly but my wife has just bought some of the Blazewear inners and we are off for a long weekend on Thursday and planning only to take hand luggage. Anyone know if it's ok to take the batteries for these gloves as part of hand luggage? Such official guidance as I can see seems not very clear where batteries are concerned. Thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@whollymoley, I would just take them. I don't think the battery packs are powerful enough (i.e. Contain enough lithium) to be a problem. Check BA site. Who will just be repeating the IATA guidance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think there is some calculation of total energy content mAh x voltage or something. IIRC the Blazewear liners are 7.4v 1800mAh per glove.

And doing a little research: http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/lithium_battery.pdf

1.8 x 7.4 = 13.3Wh with the limit being 100Wh before you need to even declare them.

So no problem to take them in either hand or checked bags.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the replies - we took them out without a problem but the weather was so warm my wife never used them! Sod's law.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Problem with any gloves is after a few weeks wear they start to get worn and torn and need to be changed. Therefore that kind of money just isn't justifiable imv. Get mittens instead and your biggest problem will be sweaty hands
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cabelas in the US had heated gloves and mitts on sale for about $90.
snow report
@peanuthead, wrong... rolling eyes

1. OH suffers from Reynaud's (as do a large %age of the female population to some degree or another).

She would not be able to ski without heated inner gloves inside her high quality mittens and boots. It would be too painful. Not cold, pain. [She suffers just rinsing salad in cold water in the heat of summer!]

2. Her Klan liners lasted 120-150 ski days with a little judicious stitching from time to time. They only failed when the heating elements broke. We expect the Blazewear liners to last at least as well.
latest report
Just to let you know that the heated gloves did the trick in Canada. I kept them on the low setting most of the time which took the chill off and I had full use of my fingers for the entire day (a rarity for me). On low the battery lasted the whole day. I wouldn't say my hands were toasty warm, but it made a massive difference to my comfort. Worth the money in my opinion. Very Happy
snow conditions
@JohnDory, snowHead or maybe Cool
ski holidays
Sorry for plugging my Kickstarter campaign on heated glove liners that use Far Infrared heat here but here is the live campaign on kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1585043358/far-infrared-heated-compression-liners

We tested with several ski instructors. We gave them all a pair of our heated gloves and heated glove liners and 100% of them preferred the liners as the heat was much more and the price was cheaper.
ski holidays
@under a new name, @JohnDory, any brand recommendations for heated gloves / foot accessories. TOH really struggles with the cold, doesn't sound as bad as your OH @under a new name, but it is still bad. Puts her off skiing as she just concentrates on not getting cold rather than enjoying herself.

She's got good layers, but the extremities still get painful in -5 and below. Any advice / experience of the heated stuff like Blazewear would be welcome
snow report
I've had the Zainier gloves for about 5 years now and I have had to return them to them twice. Now on the third pair. They are good and I hope these new ones, received in March with the single control button last longer. Have to say, Zainier have been very good with their service.
latest report
@Levi215, We're (she's) very pleased with Blazewear. Very helpful on the phone, replaced a broken liner out of guarantee...

They get about 60 days a year use, and although one cable broke early this season the other one was fine so lifetime should be quite adequate for most people.

She uses full power (there are 3 settings) when it's below -5C or so (so one would expect much of Dec/January) and if doing a full "heli" style day (08h30-17h30) would need all 3 batteries. Most (EU) style days (a litle shorter with a "better" heh heh heh lunch) two batteries are quite sufficient.

For her feet she has a variation of these http://www.sidassport.com/en/our-products/winter-sports/nano-set-pack-84-2.html - IIRC she had elements retro fitted to her custom insoles - the cables have just broken after 7 years. But she's on the second set of battery packs after mechanical failure on the first set which had plastic clips to attach to the boots. Current ones have metal clips...
ski holidays
+1 for Blazewear. My Missus also suffers with poor circulation leading to cold fingers leading to pain, excessive unbearable pain which makes her physically sick and very very difficult to ski with. Sad
Blazewear sorted it out, and ski touring is now based around where we want to go, not around a series of Plan B recovery stops.

That said, the following year a bunch of acupuncture for another problem has vastly improved the circulation to her extremities. So good I'm tempted to try it for my own extremities. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Great info thanks, any specifics on layers? She's got a load of Helly Hanson, Falke, Kjus type layers with good jackets and trousers. Any very positive experience with a specific brand of clothing for warmth?

Difficult to judge without buying one of everything and trying them... :/
latest report
@Strax, in any sensible trial acupuncture proves to be no more than elaborate placebo ...

@Levi215, she just wears whatever comes to hand. She quite likes icebreaker. But will happily wear Decathlon/Quechua's finest. They are mostly generic fabrics after all...
ski holidays
@under a new name, no heated jumper or anything? (seen on blazewear)
ski holidays
@Levi215, nope, no need. Just heated hands and feet.
snow conditions
@under a new name, and SHs is no place to take scientific guidance.

Acupuncture worked for my Missus improving circulation to her extremities and resolving recurring knee pain which was only addressable by "Western Medicine" by invasive surgery.

The complaint we were trying to address (vertiginous migraine) was not resolved by the acupuncture, but while she was on the couch we had some extra needles stuck in.

Other SHs may find benefit, who knows. I suspect your scientific studies are as reliable as the MMR research, but I won't be taking the time to look them out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Strax, as the MMr research? whose? Wakefield's quackery?

1. Scientifically plausible basis for acupuncture? None.

2. Popularity of TCM in China? increased once Mao realised he couldn't pay for medicine.

3. There are literally hundreds of studies that show it makes no tangible difference. Now, if other things were done at the same time...(as is usually the case)...
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Quote:

3. There are literally hundreds of studies that show it makes no tangible difference. Now, if other things were done at the same time...(as is usually the case)...

No other "things" were ongoing for my Missus, and she miraculously improved both circulation and knee discomfort.
Quote:

2. Popularity of TCM in China? increased once Mao realised he couldn't pay for medicine.

One can get acupuncture on the NHS. Presumably you have grown a conspiracy theory that this is Chairman Hunt trying to save money too?

I'm not arguing that you can't find bodies of work which decry TCM, or indeed that you can't find papers which support TCM. Only that we have experience of it helping someone. Your casual dismissal is mildly offensive, and not necessarily helpful to any SH who may have a similar complaint.
latest report
@Strax, only if you're very easily offended.

Homeopathy is also paid (occasionally) for by the NHS despite "A 2010 House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report on homeopathy said that homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and that the principles on which homeopathy is based are "scientifically implausible"."

It is not a casual dismissal. It's a belief held after reading many research papers good and bad. Also a scientific education which leads to a prior dismissal based on no known mode of action.
snow conditions
Lets assume I am easily offended.

Quote:

a scientific education which leads to a prior dismissal based on no known mode of action.

Lol.
If you want a bunch of fresh prejudices, ask on SH's forum!

If the Medical profession can't help you with cold hands or hurty knees, go see a reputable Chinese doctor.
What's to loose? It worked for us.
latest report
Bayesian thinking isn't prejudice.
ski holidays
I'll add my nod to blazewear.

After going from 'normal' gloves, to 3 finger mitts to full mitts I could no longer put up with my fingertips going numb. I went for the blazewear liners on the basis that the heating element stretches over each finger. Used them in Morzine this February and they were great.

While fingers and hands never felt hot with them on, they definitely did not get cold to the point of numbness. A godsend.
snow report
@thedrewski, I think the point is that they don't actually get hot, just that your hands don't get cold.
ski holidays
I bought a pair of the blazeware gt gloves for mrs A. She's found the standard gloves so warm that she has only need to use the 'heat' function on very rare occasions.
snow report
Levi215 wrote:
Great info thanks, any specifics on layers? She's got a load of Helly Hanson, Falke, Kjus type layers with good jackets and trousers. Any very positive experience with a specific brand of clothing for warmth? :/

I got some icebreaker merino baselayers in the Black`s sale a few months ago. Don`t think i was cold once all winter. Most days i just wear the baselayer with a t-shirt on top and my insulated ski jacket on top of that. Think it`s this one i got (2 for £50 in the sale at the time). http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/118724-icebreaker-mens-long-sleeve-oasis-crew-black.html
snow report
I have to say that merino makes my skin itch. I am a very sensitive petal.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Homeopathy is also paid (occasionally) for by the NHS despite "A 2010 House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report on homeopathy said that homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and that the principles on which homeopathy is based are "scientifically implausible"."....

You may be surprised to discover how little homoeopathy is used in practice. My view is that the tiny amount you do get is from crazy patients who force their clinicians to give them the sugar pills.
snow conditions
@philwig, no, I wouldn't (thankfully) be surprised wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy