Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying to decide - Last minute or book now before it's gone

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I have 3 resorts and accommodation I am keeping an eye on and trying to factor the risk if I book now versus leaving till last minute for the 28th March (when they will probably be gone).

Serre Chevalier - Considering the current snow levels, and if season remains as currently, will there be enough half decent skiing from 2000m upwards? It may be that this about of snow is normal for SC, I just don't know.
Andorra - Great snow levels at present and high altitude resort (Soldeu) but is Andorra a danger so far south, as surely spring will arrive far sooner than Northern Alps.
Champoluc - Opportunity to take an offer for 4th April at the right price for us and plenty of availability but would a week later make a difference to snow quality?

I know there are no exact answers but it would help to get a broad range of people views.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mini_mo, we are off to Sainte Foy on the 4th. Frankly, if its like last year it was fantastic regardless of the snow conditions. The sun was divine, the snow hit a sweet spot before going mushy just after lunch but we skied morning and afternoon regardless. The temperatures were quite ridiculous! I think it was about 20 degrees most afternoons, arriving back to the apartment and sitting on the balcony with a cold beer was just fab. Apres in teeshirts was just weird. I guess it depends on what you want out of a holiday... but we went with friends and family and it was one of the best holidays ever. Enough so that we booked again for the same week this year! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those places might well be gone but there'll be others. Are you waiting for more certainty about snow or to get a bargain price?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
'once you see a band wagon, its too late' kinda the same thing.

just book...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fruity, warm dry late season weather is indeed lovely. But there's much less to be said for heavy rain, which is always a risk.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, hush..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, A bit of both really in term of snow versus budget. We had originally intended to ski in term time with a complete budget of £3500 for a family of 4 (total cost for everything) as we normally ski last week in Jan but for various reasons we have had to switch to Easter. The added complication is that we consist of 2 families with very different requirements. If it were just our family of 4, there would be less of an issue as we could hold out for a TO deal (and our budget based on £3500 is around £500-£550 pp for flights, HB acc and transfers) and then book an apartment for 4 last minute, but we are looking for a 4 bed apartment. They are available in some resorts on our list but for how long. Serre Chevalier ticks all the boxes for us all but I feel it's too early to book yet and there seems to be a lot of availability which makes me wonder if snow is not so good out there.

I have a list of abut 20 resorts that fit the bill for a TO deal but of those only about 5-6 are looking good for Easter if we drive and there's the risk that we will end up having to get 2 apartments (1 for each family).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mini_mo, I'm confused. How do you decide now what's looking good for easter? And what are the very different requirements?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to know about the snow conditions in Serre Chevalier have a look on the weather thread. The snow was good when we were there in January.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mini_mo, we drive to Foy from Surrey. Cost £220 diesel give or take depends on price of fuel and exchange rate. Eurotunnel £24 with Tesco clubcard points. Apartment and lift passes inclusive worked out at £764. We have snowchains from last year. Hotel ( x 2 en route as we aren't rushing) £96. Tolls about £90
That's for three of us. Total cost of basics £1200. £400 each. We are away ten days. Going Thursday 2nd, back Sunday 12th...and it may well be less....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mini_mo,

If you are driving why not book accomodation and travel now to one of the resorts you have shortlisted but which has other resorts within a short drive that have higher alt or glaciers ( this would pretty much rule out Andorra though).
It is impossible to predict what the conditions will be like end of March there could be a massive dump of snow just before you arrive there could be warmer weather resulting in rain. So if you are pretty limited on accomodation ie needing a four bed apt then you need to sort that out because if they go as you say you have to have two apt instead of one or worst still no suitable accomodation and no holiday.

Forgot to add don't book liftpass lessons if needed till either just before or better still when in resort. That way you are free to move from one resort to another for the skiing. If conditions are pretty bad you could always buy day passes though they do work out more expensive. The advantage is that you could ski a few different reorts on one holiday, by chasing the best snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, what I meant by looking good for easter, are resorts that are north facing and/or higher altitude and have good base depths. I feel our friends would prefer a TO package, which is why we are holding out for that but the reality as speed098 said that a lot of the larger apartments may be taken. I have done a whole lot of research on this including costing holidays for about 20 resorts! I know how much approximately the costs will be for driving, lift passes, equipment hire etc in every resort to give me a TO price budget. I have also researched extensively conditions and resorts with altitude, norty facing slopes etc. The reality is though, we never planned to go in Easter and that probably what's bothering me.

So what I am after really is people's opinions or experience at end of March at the 3 resorts I listed above to help me make further decisions based on already, a lot of research.

Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy