Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiring instead of taking my own

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Les Arcs on the Snow Train for a one ski day mini adventure and cant really be bothered to trail my skis and poles there just for one day. Ive arranged hire of skis and pole in resort but should I be telling the hire shop what I want or should I be led by their knowledge and experiences?

My own skis are 170s and I seem to do okay with them.

My gut feeling is tell them what I ski on now and let them decide. I am interested to hear the Snowheads collective advice.

Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are experienced you would tell the hire shop either what ski you want from the rack, or explain what you want them for, and how good you are. If the hire shop is any good, they would probably guide you as well, and even take into consideration the current snow conditions.

What lead you to buy your current skis, reviews, matched you style, tried them before, cheap, liked the colour? If you tell us what you current skis are you may get different advice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the beauty of hiring is that you can have what ever you like.

Although I use my own skies I often rent for a day or two just to try something new.

So, Hire something, provided that you aren't in the middle of the French holiday season there should be loads to choose from.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I definitely wouldn't trail skis all that way for one day. Worth booking in advance - get a discount.

If you're not a ski expert I'd tell the shop what sort of skiing you like and take their advice (will depend on conditions on the day, too).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not tell the hire shop what skis you have and ask them if they have the same(or similar) in stock?... and if so, that you want them and can they put them aside
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your opinions and advice ladies and gents. I think ill go with @robandliza's suggestion and see if they have the skis that I have. If not then @pam w i'll let them suggest something.

Pretty much what I was going to do but its always good to get confirmation.

Thanks again Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd take your own to be honest. You only have to lift them on and off the train, it's not like you're dragging them around for hours.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stevomcd, I did consider it but its the getting them round London on the tube then storing them somewhere until the 10pm return just seemed like a faff.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pezza26, there are storage lockers at the train station in Bourg, or just do what everyone else does - go for beer/food across the road in Bazoom and leave them in the entrance. Can't help with the London end!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pezza26,
Quote:

then storing them somewhere until the 10pm return just seemed like a faff.

Did leave a set of skis in the cloak room at Covent Garden once... Collected them from EB (I think) after having bindings mounted and then went to a very good performance of Der Rosenkavalier.

I'm with Stevo --- I'd take my owm. If you are only there for a day, would be a waste to have to change hire skis if you don't get on with them...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had a bad experience a few weeks ago in Les Deux Alpes with ski hire. We were a Sunday arrival, and there had been loads of new snow the day before, so all the good powder skis had been hired out by the time we arrived. If you didn't know what you needed the ski rental shops were happy to rent out whatever they had left, regardless of how suitable it was for you and the conditions. For example my instructor sent me to rent skis that were longer and fatter than mine that I'd taken with me. The shop offered me something 10cm shorter and the same width.
I would like to think that the rental shops would be able to advise on the best ski for you, but I'm afraid that on this occasion they were more interested in just making money.
Bottom line is if you know what sort of thing you want, you can probably discuss with the rental shop to get the best thing for you, but be aware, and ready to challenge them if you don't think what they are offering is suitable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had a bad experience a few weeks ago in Les Deux Alpes with ski hire. We were a Sunday arrival, and there had been loads of new snow the day before, so all the good powder skis had been hired out by the time we arrived. If you didn't know what you needed the ski rental shops were happy to rent out whatever they had left, regardless of how suitable it was for you and the conditions. For example my instructor sent me to rent skis that were longer and fatter than mine that I'd taken with me. The shop offered me something 10cm shorter and the same width.
I would like to think that the rental shops would be able to advise on the best ski for you, but I'm afraid that on this occasion they were more interested in just making money.
Bottom line is if you know what sort of thing you want, you can probably discuss with the rental shop to get the best thing for you, but be aware, and ready to challenge them if you don't think what they are offering is suitable.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pezza26, why not leave your skis and take opportunity to try something completely different?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

f you didn't know what you needed the ski rental shops were happy to rent out whatever they had left, regardless of how suitable it was for you and the conditions

This is 100% my experience of hire shops.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy