Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

5 People, 1 set of Skis, Car Rental suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

How's it going? I was just looking for some advice in how to play tetris with the car. There are 5 of us in the car and one set of skis to travel from Zurich to St. Anton. I was thinking of loading the skis through the boot and down either door or get a ski rack. Normally there are only 4 of us when we rent a car, so we are able to drop the middle or side seat to load our skis. The skis are 187 if that makes a difference. The last time I was going to use a ski rack the girl at the rental desk basically said they were a bit dodgy and have avoided them ever since. The car I am looking at getting at the moment is a Golf.

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Emmet
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handirack:

http://www.handiworld.com/handirack-1.html

Oh, and book an "intermediate wagon" which will be something like a Mondeo estate - good value and loads of room.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unless you all have remarkably little luggage I'd go for something bigger than a golf.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gl with a golf

in my Leon (which is basically a Spanish Golf), you can get 1-3 pairs of skis, 3 people, 3 luggages with some clever jiggery pokery, and one part of the split-fold rear seat down.
5 plus luggages and 0 skis is going to be more than just a squeeze. all of the above assumes squishy bags plus ski bag, no hard suitcases, and definitely no coffin bags (only way I succeeded with one of those is with it folded in half, and board laying loose on top, and repack at airport).

might be worth looking at train? or some in a car and some on the train? or at least a mondeo, or even bigger still (galaxy type thing).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
get a station wagon / Estate.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many times have we put 5 people in an intermediate wagon out of Chambery. In this case it was in a Renault Grand Scenic:

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the thoughts...seems like the golf won't be enough. Has anyone used the rental ski racks? Any reviews/thoughts?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@altis, Any fear of scratching the roof with the handirack? Do you just leave your skis and gear in the bag and strap it down, rather than the skis on their own?

Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've never had a problem with a scratched roof but we do take a spare cloth to wipe it down before we fit the rack. Skis stay in their boxes or bags.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@altis, Cheers for that. think that is the winning option at the moment
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Top Tip: there are two tubes on two racks - four in all. Inflate three of them hard but leave the second one back from the front slightly soft. The skis will sit better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
why not just book transfers?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I imagine for 5 people a rented car would be cheaper and maybe gives you options during the week, too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@enfilade, we are not all going back on the same flight. The train works well for those going back early but not so well for getting there. Transfers are much more expensive
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@altis, Thanks for the info on the handirack. It worked perfectly and great option to have for upcoming trips. I took your tip as well to leave te second from te front slightly deflated and that worked well (although I've nothing to compare it to.) Happily we also got an upgrade, so ended up with a Mazda 6 estate. Good result, as I had forgotten how much some people pack!
snow conditions
Glad to be of service.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy