Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for BASI L1 & L2

Poster: A snowHead
I am booked onto a BASI Level 1 course at Tamworth in May and, after looking through the BASI website, I’m thinking I need skis appropriate for L1, teaching afterwards (hopefully) and then, maybe, moving onto L2.

My ski locker currently holds new Whitedot CL Rangers (awesome, but a freeride/touring set up), Scott Missions (Telemark bindings) and a geriatric pair of Salomon Xscreams (too long at 192cm), so none of these really fit the bill and, of course, it’s a given that you can never have too many skis.

I’ve been looking at 174cm Atomic Nomad Blackeye Ti and 170cm Salomon Xdrive 80 Ti as possibles, but what do those with some BASI experience recommend?

Both of these are just over the £300 mark on Sport Conrad, which is way cheaper than UK stores. Or would I be better off just using Tamworth’s rental skis and buying something through BASI later on? Btw, I am 77kg and 178cm tall and been skiing for 30+ years.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not in the BASI system but have trained through the CSIA (just done my Level 3 training) I used the Blackeye Tis and would definitely recommend them. They're a cracking ski, very responsive and versatile and with enough in them to carve high speed turns without a problem. They're perfectly capable in powder as well as long as the technique is there. We skied after a huge dump of fairly heavy and often wind affected snow. I haven't taught on them yet but would think they'll be a really good teaching ski. Mine are 174s; I'm 6ft and about 12 1/2 stone.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
be interested in what others think but I'd look at something slightly narrower perhaps around 75mm underfoot??

There is/was an article by Lee Townend on what skis to get in one of the BASI PDF news but just had a quick scan and can't find it anywhere
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
duncan wrote:
Or would I be better off just using Tamworth’s rental skis

Not this.

For your L1 a decently serviced piste ski should be fine. Where are you in relation to Tamworth ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndAnotherThing... I tend to agree ... I am not really looking forward to using a tired old rental ski with no edges and a worn out base ... hence the search for something newer

I'm near Ashbourne, about 35 minutes drive time N of Tamworth
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
duncan wrote:

My ski locker currently holds new Whitedot CL Rangers (awesome, but a freeride/touring set up), Scott Missions (Telemark bindings) and a geriatric pair of Salomon Xscreams (too long at 192cm), so none of these really fit the bill

Would you teach on any of these skis?
Hopefully not wink

So get yourself a decent pair of piste skis Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stewart woodward, I know I need piste skis ... I was asking for recommendations. As you can see from the skis I already own, I've not been on any for years and don't know what's good or bad.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Head i series magnum, rally or titan are great teaching skis and would do fine for your tech exams at L1 and 2
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 - or something similar - Snoworks I think are currently recommending 72mm Salomon 24s. All pro instructors normally have a deal with a particular manufacturer. Magnums are something of an L2 classic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you pass level 1 and all the other bits you will get access to the pro deals.... I got salomon xrace for doing basi 2 as suggested by the instructors
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Something you are comfortable sliding around on; I use Xwing Tornado for my L1 and some Slalom skis (because that is what I had) for L2.

Find something YOU like that is suitable for skiing on piste (mostly) for you L2; A mainly piste ski you like would be fine; The Head's mentioned abouve would be fine!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@duncan, ah ok, a bit of a trek from me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love my titans, brilliant on piste skis Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the good advice, guys. Looks like I'd better go find a pair of Magnums.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are after an L2 ski think a little wider for variables... whats your height weight?
latest report
skimottaret, I'm 77kg 178cm
snow report
I usually suggest Titans as good all rounders but magnums probably a good bet then given you already have some wider skis... I did my 3 tech on magnums and they were great. the Rallys are a touch softer than the magnums
ski holidays
Given all the advice to go narrower, I had concluded that the Titans were probably a touch too wide at 80mm.
I had also been trying to find out the differences between the Rally and Magnum, so maybe a slightly softer ski with a few extra mm under foot might not be such a bad idea - thanks!
Hmm ... more thought requried.
ski holidays
@duncan, personally i would go stiffer, the magnums are wide enough for the slowish variables you will have to do on L2...
latest report
See if you can get some 2nd hand or previous year titans as they were narrower... Mine are 74 or 76mm underfoot I think.

I may sell mine after Easter if my stiffer longer gs skis are ok....
snow report
Just as a matter of curiosity, what would be the equivalent skis in the female specific lines? I would like to try a slightly more piste orientated ski ( I have BBR's which I love 90% of the time, but feel like there may be a better alternative when skiing hardpack all day.). I look to the female specific lines as I need a shorter length.
snow conditions
I see a good few ladies on Mags and Titans. @lynnecha
latest report
rossignol Experience 80. Spent an afternoon on some recently. Immensely flattering, do everything well, reasonably priced and frankly perfect for consistent, smooth skiing.

Great skis for training.
ski holidays
@lynnecha, as a matter of interest why do you
Quote:

need a shorter length

Is this because you're linking it to your height? If so, I'd encourage you to forget that, however that does depend on your ability. Once you're at late intermediate / advanced, you should be skiing a ski based on weight, waist (the skis not yours wink ), and stiffness. If you think about it, the world cup skiers don't vary the length of their ski to how tall they are. This is much more of a "punter" metric. Apologies if you are a "punter"!

A
latest report
@lynnecha, My daughter did her level 1 when she was very light and only just 16. We had a job getting piste skis for her which were short enough and stiff enough. She tried some out and got some Blizzard Viva Ultrasonics in 153cm. They really helped her skiing a lot. I'm not sure what the latest incarnation is though.
snow report
@abd, interesting comment. I have been thinking about trying a longer length piste ski- I am 5ft 1in (60kg) and my Soloman BBR's are 149cm but I just feel they are a bit 'twitchy' at speed and a slightly longer length may address that. I have linked them to my height up to now, but probably have the confidence (and speed) to be a bit more adventurous now.

@Claude B, I have seen some Blizzards which are very well reviewed and so they have caught my attention of late.

Thank you both for the input, very helpful. I am going to have a trawl of the hire shops and see what I can find for a trial.
snow conditions
@lynnecha, I'd recommend trying something like a 165cm. Are you going away to the mountains soon? I have a pair of 163cm Head Titans that I used for my L2, you'd be welcome to give them a go at Castleford (I'm only in Harrogate, so you could pop by and pick them up. Alternatively I teach at Cas as well, so can always take them there). Let me know if you'd like to give them ago.
snow conditions
Thank you @abd, that is really generous. I am in Canada but will pm you when I get back - do you do private lessons at Castleford? I could come down and have a session with them. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm starting my BASI 2 exam on Monday in Meribel and am on the Head Magnums and they are perfect for BASI.
Some others are using the Head iSpeeds and they all seem happy with them!
latest report
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I went for 170cm Magnums and toook them to Nendaz last weekend. They are so fast edge to edge it's as if that chip on the back of the ski reads your mind so the ski turns by thought control - very impressive. I am very pleased with my choice.
latest report
@duncan, Cool Cool Cool when you dong your BASI?
snow conditions
@skimottaret, I'm boooked onto the course at Tamworth at the end of May. Do you have any suggestions on what prep I should do?
snow report
we run a prep course at Hemel but over the summer so no good for you.. hard to say without having seen you ski to be honest snowHead
ski holidays
Not too much to add, but I would suggest you use a pair of skis you have used quite a lot if you can.
ski holidays
@lynnecha, my wife has moved from 150cm BBR Skylites to 156cm Volkl Allura. The Volkls are much better piste skis, great grip on hard pack and a lot more stable at speed.
snow conditions
@duncan, Hope the course goes well, I'm thinking about doing L1 at some point in Tamworth. Would be good to know how it goes.
latest report
I passed BASI 1 at Tamworth last Friday. 35 hours shadowing then onwards to BASI 2. The Head Magnums were perfect - looking forward to getting much more use out of them.
latest report
@duncan, congratulations Happy
snow report
Well done @duncan, you'll soon find the courses are surprisingly addictive, and there's always just one more you could do...
ski holidays
Well done Duncan Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy