Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2016 Half term flight booking BS

Poster: A snowHead
So for 2016 my wife is insistent we don't go during school time, so I'be been working my way to the pain of a half term trip. So having read around I thought I'd get in early on the flight booking action, so I'm spamming refresh on BA at midnight tonight so pretty much got in as soon as the Sat 13th Feb date opened up, thinking Id at least get a vaguely reasonably priced flight by booking first. But no. Straight off, 20 seconds past midnight, LON-GVA flights 438 one way. Even LYS was almost 200 one way, Venice, Verona, Milan and Turin all similar and above.

I simply refuse to pay 400-800 for a 1 hour return chav class flight.

Anyone else have any luck with anything half sensible. There must be one way or other of getting a reasonable priced flight ???

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-02-15 10:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can pay #360 and fly at the front of the plane with BA... or is that actually what you meant by "chav class"

Alternatively, use your avios and fly for #17.50
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Business is already showing as almost 500 for both GVA and LYS. Just not worth it on an hours fight, especially with kids in tow.

Hmm interesting you are right - there are some avios reward savers available - Must admit I didn't expect that to be the case. Having said that I'm not sure I want to risk an avios fare out now, only to find theres non available for the return leg when they release those seats next week, and get stung a £400 pp cash fare for the return leg, as that would just irritate.

I maybe foolishly thought booking bang on the dot I'd pick up a return for maybe 200 pp cash.

I maybe forced to look at driving.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flights Heathrow to Milan don't look that high. Lufthansa flights to Munich for that date seem very good value at the moment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting Lufthansa to Munich, hadn't considered that. Thanks!
Looks like, per BA, you can take a ski or snowboard bag as your main free luggage too.

Will look into cross border car hire options into Austria and have a search to find out what suitable resorts are within striking distance, unless you have any suggestions?

We've spent the last 7 years spoilt for choice of runs in La Tania/Courchevel on3v passes. So looking for somehwere with good amount of terrain - though I realise it won't be 3v kms! And somewhere with a nice ski school for a then 5 year old and 8 year old. Ideally where its possible to get accomodation on a short walk from the piste/ski school. In Austria I've only ever been to Kaprun and Mayrhofen/Hintertux (both for summer skiing) many years ago, so Im not so familiar with Austria and open to any recommendations.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flights booked with avios are fully refundable so if you can't get the return leg you just cancel the outward flight. I think there might be a small charge if you have to call them up to do this but I've never had to do this as the only time I did this I got the return leg without a problem.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied the Gastein area from Munich. I think the Skiwelt resorts are easily accessible. There are loads of resorts within 3hrs by car.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ischgl would be a good bet. 250km of piste on its own + nearby resorts of Kappl and Galtur on the same lift ticket add another 80km.
Then you have St Anton one valley away then Serfaus a valley away on the other side for more choice if required (probably not). Approx 3hrs from Munich. I believe a good ski school and certainly from experience a fun place to go.

Other ones for yourselves that I would look at would be Mayrhofen (Zillertal), Serfaus (212km), Saalbach-Hinterglemm especially as it will have an extension to Fieberbrunn (approx 250km of pistes) for next season and also the Ski Welt resorts (280km of pistes), Westendorf, Ellmau or Soll.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anybody know if the flights were released with a higher price tag or if truly other got in first?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The BA Geneva flights were released with a high price tag. Just over £400 economy one way, and £360 club (yes, cheaper!) one way were the cheapest prices at midnight + a few seconds when I checked. If its any consolation, nobody beat you to it, there were no cheap seats. Sad

As I posted on my Avios thread, rather bizarrely you can buy Avios for 1.1p/point, and book the same flights with Avios for 4,500 points + £17.50. I.e. £67.50 one way.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are some ridiculous prices on BA.com....I have been looking to book Dec 15 ski trip as well. The Salzburg flights are showing close to £600! We have previously paid less than £150 (once for CHristmas week and once for pre-CHristmas week).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes BA just released everything at high end price brackets it seems, particularly GVA which as @snowdave mentioned was 400+, no low end prices were released. That said by 2am seats to Turin I noticed had dropped to around 130 one way, I'm sure it was up near 150-200 when I first looked just gone midnight.

Alas I didn't know you could cancel Avios fares - thanks for the tip for the future @olderscot. By the time I'd seen your post today though it was too late there was only one time slot left out to GVA arriving at gone midnight so in resort by gone 12-1am. Decided against it with a 4 year old who'd need to be up a 7 for lessons the next day Toofy Grin

Thanks for the tip off on Munich @sugarmoma666. Big thumbs up to Lufty. Interesting Lufthansa will let you book the return fare today, so no faff with booking one way today, and the return next week. I've just booked all 4 of us LHR - Munich return at pretty civilsied flight times for 117 pp ! I looked up car hire last night and a mid size is around £250 and I've seen some apartments for under 1k, so the main trip cost will be 2k. ANother 1k for passes and kids lessons I guess. I'm quite surprised, I was expecting much worse, especially when I saw the BA prices last night. Oddly, with lift passes and a restaurant meal for the 4 of us every night I think that comes in cheaper than our catered chalet holiday in La Tania in January this year . Very happy Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will look at the resorts recommended. Thanks for the suggestions. Suppose it depends where I can find accommodation that is a short enough walk to the lift ski school. Ski Welt looks interesting.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gazzza wrote:
Having said that I'm not sure I want to risk an avios fare out now, only to find theres non available for the return leg when they release those seats next week, and get stung a £400 pp cash fare for the return leg, as that would just irritate.

I think Avios flights are refundable so not sure what the risk is, unless there is an admin fee?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't see any Lufthansa flights available past 31st Jan 2016, how did you see costs for Feb 2016 @sugarmoma666???
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
I can't see any Lufthansa flights available past 31st Jan 2016, how did you see costs for Feb 2016 @sugarmoma666???

I just searched for the dates.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, their website doesn't let me choose any dates in feb 2016
latest report
kitenski wrote:

How odd, it does let me. It's got dates up to 20th February 2016 I think.
snow report
Arno wrote:
I think Avios flights are refundable so not sure what the risk is, unless there is an admin fee?

Yes - that's what I hadn't realised until read olderscot's post later the following day - by which time they'd gone.

Actually having looked into it since, I gather the Avios part is refundable - but any cash you pay isn't. ie. the Taxes/fees part. So if you pay 4,500 Avios + 17.50 cash for taxes/fees, and you cancel that leg you can get back your 4,500 Avios but you won't get back the 17.50.
ski holidays
@Gazzza, not sure that's right - I thought you always got the taxes and fees back even if you are cancelling a non-refundable ticket?
Might be a question for the nerds on flyertalk
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
kitenski wrote:

How odd, it does let me. It's got dates up to 20th February 2016 I think.

Yes, it is odd. Yesterday morning at 7am, it would let me select the outbound and return dates for pricing purposes but when I tried to book it gave me an error message about dates. I figured it was because it didn't like my return date of 20/2 so I left it and was going to try next day (as it let me book if I selected 19/2). For some reason around lunch time I decided to try again and at that point it would't even let me select February for pricing purposes has Kitenski experienced (clicking past January just shut down the calendar pop up). I think I simply bombed out the browser and relaunched it, (or maybe I switched browser), following which it would then show the February dates again, and on that occasion it let me go through and book both the outbound and return.
ski holidays
@Arno, @Gazzza, If you cancel within 24 hrs, there's no charges. After that, there is an admin charge of up to £35/person. If your cash fees/taxes have been <£35 then you're only charged those (i.e. you don't have to pay more), but if they were much more then you get them all back, minus £35/person.
latest report
@Arno, just googled again - might have been an old link I read. Looks like you can cancel but pay a £35 fee (effectively wiping out the cash element for taxes/fees of a Europen economy flight anyway) EDIT - crossed over with Snowdave's post
snow report
Booked Lufthansa LHR - Munich for 13th Feb to 20th Feb 2016 last night (direct on Lufthansa . com )
snow report
I'm a new poster - but a previous regular reader. Thanks for the all the conversations I've read and enjoyed!
We're planning to go to Les Arcs next Feb half term - can anyone guess how much I should expect to eventually pay for 4 return tickets to Lyon/GVA from Feb 13 to 20th? I'm guessing Easyjet is the cheapest option, but don't know if it's going to end up costing £750 or £1500!
latest report
Best to worst:
1) If Easyjet flexi fare loophole remains open next year, then £160/person return all in (inc baggage etc.) - this year (2015) it would have cost £150 using this route.
2) Use Avios (and buy the Avios) £200 per person return all in (a few seats left if you're quick)
3) Current one-way BA prices GVA £400, Grenoble 175 (GVA price looks extortionate)
4) Likely cheapest return on easyjet all in £250 assuming you will take antisocial flight times

Swiss flights are released in a few days' time and might have some initially sensible prices.

Edited to turn Lyon into Grenoble.
snow report
Thanks very much. We did a package last week that involved Chambery. And I never, ever want to go there again.
snow conditions
That just reminded me why we drive. Blimey, can anyone afford those prices?

Simone
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a new direct train to Lyon operating as of may. It takes 4 1/2 hours from St Pancras.

Might work out cheaper.
ski holidays
dking2001 wrote:
Booked Lufthansa LHR - Munich for 13th Feb to 20th Feb 2016 last night (direct on Lufthansa . com )

Just booked mine, £560 for 4 of us. Kids want to go back to the Hochfilzer in Ellmau - apparently junior's harem go there every year wink
snow report
musher wrote:
dking2001 wrote:

Just booked mine, £560 for 4 of us. Kids want to go back to the Hochfilzer in Ellmau - apparently junior's harem go there every year wink

Good to hear the Lufthansa to Munich option is working out for people. It looked like there was a good selection of flight times.
Personally I think as well as price it has the added benefit of accessing Austria rather than France.
snow report
@Gazzza, Congratulations on getting the Munich flight booked. I travel quite often with Lufthansa to Munich as they offer good value flights and free ski carriage (which incidentally is additional to your normal hold bag allowance), see this thread. However note that (if you haven't already done so) you have to telephone Lufthansa (0871 945 9747) to tell them you are taking skis and they then put a note on their system.

As regards car hire from Munich airport on a recent trip I recently booked a rental car from Enterprise through auto-europe. When I arrived at the Enterprise desk they gave me a free upgrade to a Ford S-Max and I found it ideal for the 3 of us with our skis and snowboard, so I think it would be very suitable for you too. I see that for your dates in 2016 they are currently doing the S-Max for a weekly rate of £108.81. Madeye-Smiley Note that the rate includes winter tyres (some more unscrupulous renters may charge extra even though it's a legal requirement in Winter), but they do charge a small extra fee for taking the car across the border into Austria. Also you will need to buy a 10 day vignette (which costs 8.70 Euros) if you wish to use the motorways in Austria. You can buy these at German motorway stops before you reach the Austrian border, or if you prefer to get one beforehand you can have one delivered to your UK home from here

Plenty of Austrian resorts you could visit from Munich, but I particularly like the Zillertal valley. Although Mayrhofen is the best know resort in the valley, there is also excellent skiing at Zell am Ziller (Arena) and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen (Hochzillertal). As you'll have a car I'd definitely recommend checking out these areas too. The Zillertal tourist office website can provide plenty of accommodation information.
snow report
Quote:
you have to telephone Lufthansa (0871 945 9747) to tell them you are taking skis and they then put a note on their system.

You really don't.
ski holidays
I think our half term trip this year came in at around £330 per person headline figure, or around £600 including food, ski pass, kids lessons, beer etc. We flew MAN-FRA with the Germans and hired a car. The intention was that if we found anything better last minute then we could cancel the flights and get an [almost] full refund. The flights were only about £95 each and about £84 of that was taxes, which they need to refund you if cancel.

Is anyone managing to get Feb dates on LH.com just now? I can't gettem.
snow conditions
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:
you have to telephone Lufthansa (0871 945 9747) to tell them you are taking skis and they then put a note on their system.

You really don't.

It's what Lufthansa recommend you should do on their website.
Quote "Please register your ski baggage without fail no later than 23 hours before departure with the Lufthansa Service Centre. This is only necessary so that Lufthansa can ensure that your ski baggage is carried."

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

It's what Lufthansa recommend you should do on their website.

That's slightly different. We've flown with them loads and rarely, if ever, told them we have skis. We took 4 pairs of skis with them last week and certainly didn't tell them in advance.

"Hi, I'm phoning to tell you I'm bringing skis on our flight to Germany in the depths of winter at half term"
"Selbstverstandlich, warum wurde man nach Deutschland im Winter fliegen ohne Schie zu bringen"
snow report
Happy days thanks to this thread I have just booked Lufthansa flights for half term 2016 family of four total £480. Well happy with that and will make a nice change for the family to ski Austria rather than France. Got a year now to plan where to go, excited already. Very Happy
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
musher wrote:
dking2001 wrote:

Good to hear the Lufthansa to Munich option is working out for people. It looked like there was a good selection of flight times.
Personally I think as well as price it has the added benefit of accessing Austria rather than France.

I haven't skied in France for about 20 years now and I'm not missing it.
latest report
Quote:

about £84 of that was taxes, which they need to refund you if cancel.

I'll bet there's some small print about administration charges which mean you wouldn't get that £84 back if you cancelled.
snow conditions
Our half term trip last year (our last ever - yay!) was based around the trains: late afternoon Friday Eurostar, dinner in Paris and the overnight sleeper to Bourg. Picked up by our chalet hosts at 7.30 and skiing by 9.0am on Saturday.

Return was even better: full day skiing on Saturday followed by dinner in Bourg and breakfast in the Parisian sunshine. Perfect.

Scarcely cheaper than flying, but so much more civilised. 8 full days skiing was a decent bonus, too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy