Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Towards L2 - inconsistency, frustration and a lack of balls

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for a bit of advice and reassurance from those who have gone before really.

How do you become consistent in your skiing performance?

Since passing my L1 last year I have made big improvements in my skiing. And indeed from just last season I am a completely different skier. Feedback from an instructor who knows me well and has skied with me most is encouraging and he feels I have really shifted a gear this season.

However my performance is wildly inconsistent Sad And I am getting really frustrated.

I am skiing faster than I have ever done before. I am going down more things and haven't said 'no' this season. These are two big improvements for me.

When I am skiing at my peak I am skiing at L2 level in all strands apparently (though I disagree with him about bumps). The problem is my really peak days are infrequent and I cannot guarantee to perform well on any given day. And it happens randomly; I can think I'm going to have a good day and it doesn't happen and vice-versa.

So how do you up your game and become more consistently consistent? Laughing

Additionally, I still don't 'feel' that I am a good skier. And I am becoming more and more frustrated as I find myself with people who are far worse skiers but who go and ski tougher stuff and ski faster because they are more gung ho than I am. So also I would like to find more guts, more balls and be braver with my skiing. Any tips for that?

The frustration is that I could be a very nice, very tidy, technical skier but I think it's the psychological element that's really, really holding me back now Confused

Thanks guys for any advice which would be much appreciated Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skingi gates would be one way of developing your ability to rise to a challenge. External focus and no time to think about anything does wonders for your psychological strength.

And ski everything, as much time as you can spare.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, thanks. That's actually very true for me and at the moment I am getting the most benefit from following closely at a decent pace without thinking much and without too much chat. And in fact the other day I was expressly told to stop thinking about where I would turn in the bumps and to just keep the skis constantly turning no matter what was under them. So yes overthinking is my big problem.

Yes and more time too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In BASI speak where would you place yourself in terms of acquisition of skill for L2 tasks? Sounds like you are in the Practice phase, if you had a client in the practice phase of learning what would you prescribe wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Time on snow.

Ski as much nasty snow (or nasty conditions/bad visibility) as possible - as slowly as you like (there's no need to ever ski faster than your comfortable with). Get used to skiing by feel, and skiing instinctively.

When you're comfortable skiing really shitty snow and conditions, and know you can get ski those conditions with solid technique, you'll naturally ski faster and more fluidly the rest of the time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, How good is your fitness ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimottaret, thanks! Yes practice phase. More time on snow and patience is what I would advise someone else! It's the patience bit I'm struggling with now Embarassed

@clarky999, thanks, yes that's hapoening I can see. This season I've been going out in all conditions. Then on good days after a few bad days my skiing's noticeably better. The speed thing is so I can ski with others.

@rjs,thanks it's much improved for me, I lost 3 stone over the past year and been gym training. It could be better still but it's good enough for now.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You sound like my wife, who is very technical but not particularly quick. (She dislocated both knees as a teenager and has never quite got over it.) I used to get frustrated that she didn't fancy x run (which I know she can handle and maybe even skied another day) and we've had everything from pleading (me) to tears (her) to shouting (both of us) until I realised I was being an idiot.

Firstly, I was increasing her stress. Don't worry about it is the main thing IMO. Everyone skis better when they're relaxed, as long as they're not stoned.

Secondly, skiing is not about racing unless you're racing. Who cares if you're a bit slower anyway? Those other people who are not as technical but ski quicker - see how big their grins are when they dislocate their shoulders and bust ribs etc. (Losing weight is good for control and stamina and health, but it will also make you slower - three stones is quite a bit less mass to be acted upon by gravity!)

Thirdly, it will come anyway. As with anything in life people learn and progress at different speeds but we all end up at broadly the same place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

people learn and progress at different speeds but we all end up at broadly the same place.

Unless you mean "dead", no we don't. Especially in skiing. People who have skied far less than I have are better than I will ever be - probably better than I could ever be. Equally I have friends who have skied for years, never took lessons after the first week and ski worse now than they did 20 years ago. I improved gently for a few years, with plenty of lessons and practice, and my aim now is not to deteriorate.

One problem with skiing with people who go faster (not necessarily better) is their waiting "patiently" at the bottom of the hill, or wherever. Patience means staying behind, so that the other skier is not always playing catch up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sarah, Sounds very much like me preparing for my (old style) Grade 3 assement. Things to do -- Ski (a lot) ---- set aside some time for practise, remember to smile whilst skiing. Set aside a lot more time to just enjoy skiing. Ski all the terrain (especially variable) you can --just for the fun of it.

We all ski because we enjoy it. We don't ski to BASI exams.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

people learn and progress at different speeds but we all end up at broadly the same place.

Unless you mean "dead", no we don't. Especially in skiing. People who have skied far less than I have are better than I will ever be - probably better than I could ever be. Equally I have friends who have skied for years, never took lessons after the first week and ski worse now than they did 20 years ago. I improved gently for a few years, with plenty of lessons and practice, and my aim now is not to deteriorate.

One problem with skiing with people who go faster (not necessarily better) is their waiting "patiently" at the bottom of the hill, or wherever. Patience means staying behind, so that the other skier is not always playing catch up.

No, I mean 'broadly'.

I am aware that I will never be as good as Franz Klammer, and you'll never be as good as me, but we can all get down a fairly standard run in the same era.

Actually, I bet you spend most of your time standing by the side of the piste pointing out technical problems to total strangers as they go by, in the manner of an elderly female Duncan Thickett, so maybe you wouldn't.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sarah, I think your doing the right things by moving out there and spending as much time on snow as possible. I'd echo what @clarky999 says, when out, mix up the skiing, find some horrible snow and ski it!! in March if it gets slushy, go out and ski later on..

I can't remember when you went out, but you've still got the whole of March and most of April ahead of you so weeks more practice possible!

And POST SOME VIDEOS Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@northernsoulboy, OK, if by "broadly the same" you mean as similar as you and Herman Maier, I'll buy that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
my aim now is not to deteriorate.

I think I am getting to that stage. Really made me chuckle that.

Very Happy Blush snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@northernsoulboy,
Quote:

I bet you spend most of your time standing by the side of the piste pointing out technical problems to total strangers as they go by, in the manner of an elderly female Duncan Thickett
I can assure you she doesn't - far too busy whizzing elegantly down black runs, in fact. Cool
snow report
.@sarah, Why are you going through the BASI system?

If it is just for the fun and/or personal development then I would say "stick with it, you'll get there" because it sounds as if you are on the right path, making progress and will reach the standard given more time (ie practise) and effort.

If you are doing it because you want to be a working ski instructor then I would suggest that this may not be a realistic decision.
Ask yourself: "Would I want to be taught by me?"
I suggest that the answer is No. You seem to lack the degree of self analysis to identify for yourself (the skier you spend the most amount of time with!) what needs to be done, and how to implement changes that others have suggested.
I'm not BASI, but both my kids are (ISIA and 2) and I know and ski with a lot of ISIAs and BASI Trainers.
Both my kids (and the Trainers I ski with) have said that when on a BASI course if a Trainer tells you to make a change he/she expects you to make it. No asking for further explanation or clarification, no working towards that change, no making the change some of the time. MAKE THE CHANGE, and no change = fail.
If you are not at that stage then perhaps Ski Instructing is not for you....though BASI as a route for personal ski training is a very viable option and in that regard very good value too.

Keep practising!
latest report
I pay an increasing amount of attention to my food and beer intake. I find that I cannot focus properly if I have had a few beers the night before and this manifests in a loss of bottle rather than a direct impact on technical ability. I'm not really talking about being hungover here, more a touch sub par than then has a disproportionate impact on my head game. It is easy when doing seasons to go back to the flat, sink half a case of Bien Vu or whatever death beer is on hand, watch a movie and then flake out for the evening. If you are like me, continually doing this may not be the best thing for your skiing. Not saying this is you. But one to consider.

Otherwise, I'd join the chorus suggesting video. Nothing sophisticated. I'd just be keen to get an objective read on whether a "bad day" is actually a bad day and how far apart in terms of quality the "bad days" and "good days" actually are.
snow report
I'm pretty sure that every skier feels the same way Sarah. I agree that it is to a very large extent psychological. When you feel that you are having an off-day -- in all likelihood your skiing technique/ability is exactly the same as when you feel like you are having a good day. It is just that you are putting more mental emphasis/weight on the worse aspects of your skiing on the bad days. That moment when a bump throws you temporarily off balance is attributed to bad technique on an off-day but ignored/forgotten on a good day. If that makes any sense.

One thing maybe is to try to push yourself. As you are in Chatel go down the Swiss Wall a few times in variable conditions or some other challenging slope, or do an off-piste couloir (if you feel comfortable of course) -- you will feel great afterwards and have slightly moved your horizon each time.
latest report
rungsp wrote:

If you are doing it because you want to be a working ski instructor then I would suggest that this may not be a realistic decision.
I suggest that the answer is No. You seem to lack the degree of self analysis to identify for yourself (the skier you spend the most amount of time with!) what needs to be done, and how to implement changes that others have suggested.
I'm not BASI, but both my kids are (ISIA and 2) and I know and ski with a lot of ISIAs and BASI Trainers.
Both my kids (and the Trainers I ski with) have said that when on a BASI course if a Trainer tells you to make a change he/she expects you to make it. No asking for further explanation or clarification, no working towards that change, no making the change some of the time. MAKE THE CHANGE, and no change = fail.
If you are not at that stage then perhaps Ski Instructing is not for you....though BASI as a route for personal ski training is a very viable option and in that regard very good value too.

Little bit harsh - or at least premature - for a L1 IMO! The actual L2 course should make a big improvement to her skiing alone...
latest report
Agree with @clarky999, that's very negative/pessimistic for someone going for level 2.

At levels 1 & 2 you are expected to ski to a model. Everyone is expected to ski more or less the same way. The level is solid, but not spectacular by any means. It's more about having very good posture and being very centred on your skis than about the highest level of performance.

At level 3 and 4, things are different and it's more as @rungsp describes, but even then I think his attitude is overly negative. Plenty of people have to work very hard to get to the level, but go on to be very good instructors.

sarah - keep grafting! I've been chasing the ISTD exam for 3 years now, over-analysing every turn I make. Things do come together eventually! Keep pushing yourself, ski stuff which is hard for you and focus on trying to ski it smoothly. Ski with people who are better than you and push yourself to match them. Stuff which was once scary will become routine! (Honest!).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 26-02-15 11:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rungsp wrote:

No idea whether Sarah wants to be a ski instructor, but I absolutely would want to be taught by someone who will totally get how I feel all the time when I'm on my skis, who has worked though that process herself, and come out the other side.

So Sarah, expect me to come knocking at your door - we've got friends in Chatel that we're hoping to visit at the end of the season! snowHead
snow report
@sarah, you sound quite similar to me, no idea how many days you have skied this year or how many you normally ski but I agree with everyone saying just get out there as often as possible, the year I felt the biggest change in my skiing was the year I did 50+ days. I think as you get better the changes also become more incremental and so it can feel like you aren't progressing at all. You say your skiing has improved a lot very recently, that's great! Now why would you expect to be able to ski at this new, higher standard every day you go out when you couldn't do it at all last year (or the year before)?

I think we all have a few weaknesses, the stronger a skier you become the less often you will make those same mistakes and you will be skiing at or close to your best in more conditions and on more occasions however even the best have a bad day so it's still going to happen.
latest report
@sarah, For the bravery thing, remember how tough we are in general, it is amazing how much we can take before something breaks. Watch rugby for proof.

You are not lucky if you crash and don't hurt yourself, you are unlucky if you do hurt yourself. (bruises don't count).

Sounds like your approach is great though, only you know where your comfort zone is.
snow report
@sarah, You have had a lot of positive comments here from people who know what they are talking about, so the best I can add is be positive believe in yourself and work hard. Listen to those coaching/instructing you and you will attain L2.

Good Luck and enjoy the experience. snowHead
snow report
Quote:

(Losing weight is good for control and stamina and health, but it will also make you slower - three stones is quite a bit less mass to be acted upon by gravity!)

Heavier objects don't fall (or ski) faster than light ones
ski holidays
@boardiac, they carry momentum a lot better though. Try putting a load of people through the speed traps and the heavier ones consistently make a couple of kph more than the lighter folk. Unless they are falling in a vacuum of course. Try dropping a ball bearing and a feather in the earths atmosphere lol

Interesting discussion here...http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/22080/does-a-ski-racer-with-a-larger-mass-have-an-advantage
latest report
Agree with the above suggestions and also suggest skiing with other instructors including locals as well as with good local skiers. Not for a moment suggesting you stop who you are currently using. To the contrary without knowing them personally they have a very good reputation amongst instructees and their peers. It is just another way of mixing things up which is always good as others have suggested. Sometimes good to ski with people where there isn't any existing preconceptions as e.g. acts as an incentive to ski to your best. Also helpful to have the things done in a different way to help it click such as a different drill or explanation. Enjoy the process rather than the outcome.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
Enjoy the process rather than the outcome.
This! I've always said that doing instructor exams should be a journey not a destination.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Everyone, thanks so much for the very supportive and very helpful (on the whole) comments on the thread, means a great deal to me, thank you Smile

Thanks particularly to @clarky999, @stevomcd and@miranda and for the PMs, as I was a bit rattled by @rungsp's post.

@rungsp, your post was harsh. I was only asking for a bit support in relation to frustration with a lack of progress recently. If you knew me you'd know how far off the mark you were with some of your comments. I actually have a very high level of self awareness, I can identify my own faults, know why they occur, know what I should do to correct...I can't always do the correction all the time yet but that is because I am still in the practice phase. As for the rest I would suggest that yes, actually, I would want to be taught by me especially if I was a small child or an apprehensive beginner because I am great with tots and have empathy in bucketloads. And as for the BASI making changes part of it, I'm fully aware of this thanks, being in the BASI system MYSELF, having skied with many BASI trainers and ISTDs and having had to make changes before, during and since my BASI course.

Sorry to all to be late back to the thread but a good friend had a bad fall whilst we were out skiing on Wednesday, we had to get the wagon, go with him to Drs and he is now in hospital having had surgery for a smashed up femur, and has also broken his collar bone and several ribs. It was a bit of a shock Sad
latest report
Best wishes to your friend - I can imagine it was a horrible shock for him and for his friends. The good thing about this forum is that there is just so much evidence of people having made brilliant recoveries from those nasty injuries.

I actually don't think rungsp's post was harsh - I think it was nonsense. He's never seen you ski, talked to you personally, gone through the BASI system himself or thought about the fact that other people might want different things from their instructors than he does, so I'm not sure why he answered a question that you hadn't even asked.
ski holidays
@miranda, thank you Smile for the good wishes, we were all a bit shaken up afterwards. And you're right it was nonsense!

After Wednesday we thought we'd better get straight back on the horse so to speak and went out yesterday, skied all the strands, couple of new challenges/ new places and I skied well Smile

Thanks all for the support snowHead
snow conditions
@sarah, don't worry, @rungsp's a softie really Little Angel
ski holidays
@sarah, Well done. Very Happy 'nother random thought from me ---- have you tried tele yet ? Joe Beer is not (that) far away in Les Gets. Great way to have some more smiles whilst on skis.........
latest report
sarah wrote:
Just looking for a bit of advice and reassurance from those who have gone before really.

How do you become consistent in your skiing performance?

Since passing my L1 last year I have made big improvements in my skiing. And indeed from just last season I am a completely different skier. Feedback from an instructor who knows me well and has skied with me most is encouraging and he feels I have really shifted a gear this season.

However my performance is wildly inconsistent Sad And I am getting really frustrated.

I am skiing faster than I have ever done before. I am going down more things and haven't said 'no' this season. These are two big improvements for me.

When I am skiing at my peak I am skiing at L2 level in all strands apparently (though I disagree with him about bumps). The problem is my really peak days are infrequent and I cannot guarantee to perform well on any given day. And it happens randomly; I can think I'm going to have a good day and it doesn't happen and vice-versa.

So how do you up your game and become more consistently consistent? Laughing

Additionally, I still don't 'feel' that I am a good skier. And I am becoming more and more frustrated as I find myself with people who are far worse skiers but who go and ski tougher stuff and ski faster because they are more gung ho than I am. So also I would like to find more guts, more balls and be braver with my skiing. Any tips for that?

The frustration is that I could be a very nice, very tidy, technical skier but I think it's the psychological element that's really, really holding me back now Confused

Thanks guys for any advice which would be much appreciated Smile

Hi Sarah
Just so you know, you're not alone Confused
I can relate to what you most of what describe to a greater or lesser extent.
My peak skiing can be measured in hours rather than days. I put it down to my metabolism somewhat and find that mornings are and afternoons can feel completely different.
I think firstly the route to consistency is mileage, but that is what I lack mostly.
Another huge factor in how my ski day pans out is: How I warm up. I found on recent trips that taking time to allow myself time on easy terrain to just wake up properly set me up for a more consistent day.
Following better skiers/instructors down stuff & then revisit it on your own can boost the confidence.
As far as "thinking I'm good or not" the more proficient I become the more aware I am of how crap I am. I think this is quite common and is a bit of a psychological rollercoaster that even flippant comments from someone you respect can impact on you.
Balls and bravery: The best definition of being "Brave" that I ever heard was: Bravery is when You are the only person who realises you are scared. Smile
When skiing gates lots of folk wear armour, and I think it can give you a little boost in the psych.
If all else fails you'd be amazed what glugging a whole can of red bull on the lift up will do to your attitude on the way down wink
Watch some footage of your skiing from a season or so ago to measure your progress. I'm sure you've come far as your Instructors can see.
Ciao
snow conditions
@sarah, ouch...yout friend's injuries sound very difficult and very painful. Nasty combination. Hope he'll be ok.
snow report
@ski, thanks, must give it a go!

@franzClammer, thanks for the kind words Smile

@pam w, thank you, just back from the hospital again now, he's in good spirits.
ski holidays
@sarah, sorry about your friend and wish him a speedy recovery. I hope his accident doesn't have a negative impact on your quest for more bravery.
latest report
sarah, One thing that I think has helped me with confidence is to have something distracting me from thinking too much when I'm skiing. I often need to carry stuff when I'm coaching such as gates, shovel, rake or drill; slipping courses probably helps too. Did you write that you had kids in the local club ? Offering to help out in some way could be good for your own skiing.

There are drills that we give kids to distract them such as getting them to make one turn with their hands on their head followed by a turn with arms doing something else.

When I only did single week trips I always felt that I skied badly on the third day no matter how fit I had tried to get beforehand, have you got a good gym you can use in Chatel ?
snow report
All good advice above. There are many many factors in achieving consistent skiing - after 15 or so seasons I still wouldn't call myself consistent so don't fret about it too much - the main thing is to relax and enjoy yourself. Just remember that the bad days are what makes the good days so GOOD!!! Wink
ski holidays
Sarah, I wonder if the difference between your good and bad performances is as big as you think? I know when I'm feeling a bit off with my skiing, my wife who is also on the instructor treadmill with me can identify things aren't at there best but that they're rarely if ever as bad as I feel they are. Negativity is a tough thing to overcome for some of us. One thing I found really helpful with my outlook was a great little book by Weems Westfeldt called 'Brilliant Skiing Everyday.' He has a fantastic philosophy.

True consistency in performance takes a long time and certainly in our system (CSIA rather than BASI) would be more an expectation of Level 3 rather than 2. Keep working on good foundations, take time to practice every skiing day if you can (warm up runs) and look at the progress you've made, the things you can do rather than those you can't.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy