Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen info pls

Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible for experienced skiers to ski back down to Mayrhofen? The ski map does not show any pistes/routes to the village and the info that I have read indicates that most skiers use the Penken gondola or alternatively ski down to Finkenberg where I assume ski buses run a service to Mayrhofen.
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidthornton, Not to the bottom of Penken, no. I think you can ski to the bottom of the Ahorn side although I've never done it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidthornton, Wot halfhand said. The run down from the Ahorn is quite a challenging red. Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes you can get the greenline bus from finkenberg but they are not that frequent and could be full with people returning from the Hintertux late in the day. Best way off the Penken is to use the Horberg seated gondola down and then take the 10 min ride on the frequent ski buses back to Mayrhofen. Its also a good way to get up there as well. Avoids any queues you get a seat and it doesn't take that long.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nope only at Ahorn as halfhand & AlastairPink have said. We went the w/c Jan3rd & never queued for long to come down in the Penken but sure it's not always like that! I didn't like not being able to ski back into the village Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The closest run from the Penken side to the bottom is the ski route from the Penken to the bottom of the Horberg lift, then get one of the frequent busses back to the Hof (5 mins), I have done this twice and would never do it again it is a very long run, generally has a lot of sheet ice and is not enjoyable.

The ski route back down to Finkenburg is seldom open but an alternative is to ski to Egam and then bus it back, but generally we get the gondola back up the hill there and ski back to the top of the Penken gondola.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
better to avoid the ski route to Horberg lift as JimbosS said...damned iced...in the German Forum there is somewhere a video which prove it...a little bit funny but...
take the gondola do not take the risk...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We just use the penkenbahn after quick session of apres in the ice bar! Last lifts/queue can be manic as everyone does same.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Finish skiing the Penken early (before 3), then get the gondola back down into town, quick walk over to the A-Horn gondola, up that, couple of beers in the ice lounge / igloo bar at the top (amazing place!), then ski the lovely long red / black back down into Mayrhofen! We did this on 3 days in Jan and loved it!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone, good info there. I thought the Ice Bar was down in Mayrhofen by the Penken base station.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Ice bar" is at the bottom of the Penken - adjoining the Strass hotel.
The Ice bar he's referring to is literally a bar made of ice set up on the Ahorn .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You are right, my mistake. I meant Elchbar up at the first gondola station. Then down to the eisbar (icebar) with the strange polar bear suited guy dancing on tables. Will be there next week to refresh my memory Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Whitty, You can refresh it now....

http://youtube.com/v/sYdEKbCDZJ4

wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haha, cheers. Don't know if the guy who also dances dressed like a school girl is a bit weird though Shock
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is there ski storage at Penken base station? Any recommendations?
Thanks.
snow report
Yes, although we used some up at first lift station near elchbar last time to save queuing with them. They weren't heated though:-( It can be busy early on at penkenbahn base station.
snow report
The Crystal office is right by the Penken lift and they offer ski / boot storage (for a fee). I think it was €15 per person for Crystal guests, slightly more for non guests.
snow conditions
If you want to find some OP have a look here.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2479536#2479536
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@davidthornton, Wot halfhand said. The run down from the Ahorn is quite a challenging red. Smile

Was there in January and the run down from the Ahorn is now marked black.
ski holidays
Impressed by OP opportunities @JimboS, thanks. First visit to Mayrhofen.
snow report
swiftoid wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Was there in January and the run down from the Ahorn is now marked black.

We skied it numerous times in January also, and found it to be a lovely run, no more than a tough red. I think it's only black due to 1 narrow section.
snow report
going mayrhofen 21 mar firsttime in Austria,.any idea of beer prices happy hours etc.
latest report
@leferret, I found beer prices to be reasonable at around 3.5euro for 500ml. Certainly cheaper than France and Switzerland and about what you'd pay in a UK city centre. On the mountain I think we even managed as low as 2.5euro.
snow report
many thanks halfhand that is excellent news especially with the euro dropping like a stone.be nice to be able to buy a round without whincing at the bill 19euro 2 beers val d`sere!!
I have always thought someone should do a site listing beer prices in all resorts and happy hours etc.this year morzine 5.50 euro for pint of peroni.sauze march 2014 4.5-5.00 euro a pint.just to get the ball rolloing
snow report
leferret wrote:
many thanks halfhand that is excellent news especially with the euro dropping like a stone.be nice to be able to buy a round without whincing at the bill 19euro 2 beers val d`sere!!

Shocked Shocked

Seriously??? I know Val d'Isere is expensive compared to other French resorts which in turn are expensive compared to elsewhere but that seems extortionate unless you wandered into some uber de luxe, five star venue.

Think you'll be pleasantly surprised in Mayrhofen, happy hour or not!
ski holidays
not a 5 star hotel one of the pubs cant remember the name.only had the 1 there..liking the sound of mayrhofen already Smile many thanks for info
ski holidays
not a 5 star hotel one of the pubs cant remember the name.only had the 1 there..liking the sound of mayrhofen already Smile many thanks for info
snow report
Mayrhofen is real value for money compared to anywhere I have been in France, you will have a ball, make sure you find the Bruck'n Stadl http://www.brueckenstadl.at/ and have a burger at Mo's http://www.mos-cafe.com/

Admittedly there is queues at the penkenbahn during the morning rush and end of play but having experienced them over 5 different seasons I can tell you they are well exaggerated by some. There is a new Gondala system being built now that will will replace the penkenbahn cable car over the coming summer which will be much more efficient.

But for this season at end of a hard days play you should relax, have a couple of pints at the top of the Penkenbahn and soak up the atmosphere, then when you head down the hill you will be in the party mood for the Ice Bar.

Thats what I will be doing in two weeks Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
many thanks for the info raydar most helpful.we are going 21 mar what date you going/
snow report
In relation to the Gondola queues in the morning. Arrive there before 9.30 and the queues are quite short. Buses come in from surrounding areas around then and you have a period up until approx. 10.15 when the queues can be a tad painful.
Manager at hotel told us this on our first night and it was excellent advice. We came up against fairly long queues on the way down a couple of time during the week but that was solved by a drink in the sun up there. Queue disappeared as the beer did.
latest report
Easiest way to avoid the Penken lift queues up or down is to use the Horberg side and avoid all the crowds. Jump on a bus to Mülbach, take the Horbergbahn up the mountain and you'll be into the system way quicker as well as out of it at the end of the day. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
leferret wrote:
many thanks for the info raydar most helpful.we are going 21 mar what date you going/

14th so I will be heading home on the day you arrive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy