Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another day in Paradise (warning, very long)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Monday , April 12th, 2004
At first I wanted to title this thread “You don’t know how it feels to be left outside alone”
but on second thought, it was a bit on the negative side, while the day was everything but negative.
Well, alone I was, my mom had a recrudescence of her neck arthritis- consequence of a car accident when seatbelts were not even installed in cars and orthopaedic collars were unknown in hospitals- her “younger” brother had a last minute appointment, and the third (the little one, go figure, he’s 59 y.o.) doesn’t move if his two older brothers don’t say so.
Other friends were already in “let’s go to the seaside” mode.

I woke up at 06.00 with a jolt, before I remembered that Easter Monday is still an
Holyday and I was supposed to go skiing. First thing on the balcony to check the mountains in the distance, mmmh clear skies o’er there, it could be a nice day.
I had explored a couple of options, the day before, to go skiing with an old friend in Valle
D’Aosta, or go totally alone. Since I couldn’t get in touch with him the previous evening, and did not want to arrive at his doorstep unannounced, I opted for a “solo flight”.
That decided, at 07.00 turned the car ignition key and departed, destination Madesimo, some 100 km away.
One hour and 15 minutes later, I was in a bar, at the bottom of the mountain, breaking the fast with other early risers, lift personnel and a couple of instructors.
A clear blue sky announced a very nice day, even if at first somewhat cold.
The first run was not something to be remembered. The snow was not snow, it was ice, and without edges and with cold muscles it required a bit of an effort to keep my dignity intact.
So I decided to look for better “pastures” while waiting for the sun to warm the snow a bit…hence I headed toward the medium height part of the resort, and surprise surprise, traces off piste revealed that a snowfall has occurred in the past two-three days…
Nevertheless I decided to stay on the groomed, I was tempted to ski in the trees, snow inside looked still relatively untouched and nice, but maneuverability in close quarters is not a strongpoint of my old 198cm planks, took another couple of runs here and there, before venturing in the top part of the resorts, the Val di Lei, 3000 mt a.s.l. , a long queue was there, it took 45 minutes to enter the cable car and reach the top, but once there…While queuing I overhear a guy loudly proclaim to his pard ” I don’t care how long I have to wait, today I want to ski off-piste” . The couple of guys looked interesting, a skier and a boarder, acting relaxed, probably locals.
While waiting for the cable car I was eyeing a long run , known as the Canalone, with its off piste variants, the “Camosci” and the “Cavallino” which offered a spectacular view (the two variants names I learned later on). The Canalone, being the most skied down, was full of bumps, of the type to make Pierre’s mouth water (mine was, anyhow) the other two, even if full of track still showed promises of powder, mmmm powder! Ok, not the Champagne powder that westerners are used to, still some serious off piste could be had.
Once reached the top I decided to ski a couple of groomed there, did not want to ski down the “Canalone” immediately and then to have to queue for another 45 minutes…
Well, the runs there are served by a two seats chairlift. From it I was able to observe
the “in-bound” off-piste fields (right under and beside the chairlift) complete with small
Cliffs. I was so tempted that upon reaching the top, I launched myself down the
off-piste fields, instead of limiting myself to the groomed runs.
From then on, it was a whole bonanza of (heavy) powder, jumps from small cliffs
( very, very small, not the sizes you superhuman heroes are used to)
During my third down, and while approaching my favorite jump I suddenly realized
that my approach path to the take off point was not the intended one, so tried to
correct the it, lost balance and one ski and proceed to an Epic face plant, one of those
your back arches itself and you spread on the ground. With only inches to spare before
the take off point, I stopped. All in one piece, had to collect items for a bit, waited
Five minutes to rest and then launched myself again.
Reaching the bottom station of the chairlift, noticed the guy I was queuing with at the cable car. He looked me for a while and then commented :”nice face plant, when I saw you approaching that jump at that speed I thought you must have been crazy, was all that speed intentional?” My answer was, indeed, positive, I did not like the direction, but the
speed was intentional.
We chatted a little bit and decided to ski off-piste together.
Paolo, is his name, is a local, so knows the place.
He was looking for his boarder mate Garga, and once we regrouped, and met with other two
friends, Francesca and Gionni, we skied once again the Val di Lei open slopes, then decided to ski down what is known as the “camosci” off piste variant. I was elated, I wanted an orgy of powder. As it happened, I had my orgy of faceplants and assorted falls, in the powder, every time Paolo an his friend commented :”are you still alive and in one piece?” My only answer was to stand up and grin.
But I couldn’t care less, I had waited for such an occasion, nearly 9 years, 4 of those, the last, spent skiing at a snail pace.
You, people of the west, don’t know what it means to be disallowed to ski powder,
To have to limit one skiing to the groomed only. Not that I do not like that. But I like to vary my menu. What a ride. I was smiling and smiling and laughing, and falling.
Then my new friend Paolo told me we were going down a couloir (called the “witches”) and the speed I was keeping in the open field was something to avoid there, so I had to calm down. Nevertheless I felt elated. I had satisfied my thirst for off-piste once again. Now I could go back to be my normal quiet self, not that I had the choice, I was exhausted, literally. We ate, and then took the compulsory 45 minutes queue to reach the top again. Sadly I was too tired for a second run down the “camosci” so we parted. Still I had found new friends and skied like when I was fit, what could I ask more?
There was still the “canalone” with its inviting bumps, but first, a couple of
groomed to catch my breath.
Down to the chairlift, and there while queuing I chat with two girls, from villages near mine I discover, who were a bit unsure whether to ski down the “canalone” or take the cable car back to the valley…well, I don’t know how it happened but they decided to ski down with me, probably because I told them that the run was white, not black Wink … I don’t know why people is so concerned, nearly obsessed, by runs colours.
I had a blast in the bumps, and again was smiling like a madman.
But the day was nearing its end. Once again I had to part with these new friends, and
headed to my car for the journey home.
Tuesday morning, as I drive to work, I have a sore butt and thighs, thanks to the bumps, a sore lower back and- funnily- a painful left hand index finger and left shoulder, thanks to all the epic explosions (a.k.a. tumbles) I took.
It is now Tuesday night, and the soreness in my thigh and butt has increased and
spread to the inside of the legs. My index finger is still in a bit of pain, but nothing serious. My back, well, it’s improving. It hasn’t helped that I’ve spent 5 hours sitting
in my car today.
Was it worth? Yes, I think so.
I would do it again.
If I close my eyes, I see those open fields again, the culoir, the bumps
I see the lines we skied, the rocks, the Sun, I smell the fresh air, the snow itself…
These memories will keep me company during the long summer ahead.
Another day in Paradise.
Ride on my friends, ride on.

P.S.
-a mid fat would seem now in order, if I ever plan to do something like that again,
let’s say Salomon Hot or Head monster i.m. 75 or a Rossi Bandit B2.
-It’s so nice to chat to people, in fact I had forgotten how nice it is and
what positive responses few smiles can earn.
-I now have six more friends, I probably will never see them again,
but for one day, we enjoyed the reciprocal company and shared a passion.
-I used the words “powder” and “cliffs” for lack of better words.
Probably “powder” would translate into “heavy slush” and “cliffs”
into “terrain undulations” to someone used to the Rockies.
-Madesimo internet site: www.madesimo.com
-A map of the ski area can be found here:
http://www.splugadomani.it/prima.php?lingua=en
-A bigger version here
http://www.splugadomani.it/mappe/planimetria1250.jpg
(the runs I skied are the black/orange number 1 and 2 and the red ones in Val di Lei)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 14-04-04 12:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice story Matteo, thanks! I now feel inspired to take a trip up to Les Arcs tomorrow, so no more armchair skiing from me for 24 hours!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Happy that you liked it.
I wrote it to live again that day, yesterday night while liyng awake in bed, waiting for sleep which did not want come, then I thought to post it...

Make some turns for me too, then!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here you go Matteo, this is just for you:
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jwaz_skibunny/detail?.dir=/278e&.dnm=5832.jpg

It's Val di Lei taken from the cafe at the bottom on Christmas day last year. You can just see the 2 man chair running up the middle. I love those pistes, I'm very envious of you
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Ski Bunny!
The day conditions were very similar to those of your picture, clear blue sky, Sun, very good snow. My first face plant happened more or less where the last pilons in you picture can be seen.
Hey, next time you head there, send me a message Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great story Matteo, makes me really jealous. Perhaps I'll go to the peak district and pretend that it's snowing.

I can really recommend Bandit B2s, a little less specialized than Head Monsters, but pretty special across all conditions rather than outstanding in one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, my friend whom skis in Valle d'Aosta is eyeing a pair of B2 since january, waiting for the selling price to go down a bit more...maybe he'll have to buy two pairs..ehe
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Funny I had a great day at the beach on Sunday (even if the sea was flat and there was no surf at all). Had almost resigned myself to switching to my summer sports but your report has inspired me that there is still some snow to be skied on this year!
Found a friend on Tuesday night who is going away this weekend and by yesterday I was booked - can't wait, to be in the mountains on a sunny day, and all the anticipation of new adventures and new people to meet... No wonder we're all addicted!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ehe, then you've done well, booking quckly, season at the "normal" resorts in Italy
is nearing its end (Madesimo is said to close on april 25th). From then on, it will be glaciers only till November.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy