Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowblading or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I'm an upper-intermediate skier, i could say. I can come down most black slopes (of resorts such as 7 Laux, 2 Alpes, Alpe d'Huez) albeit not in a pretty way. Smile This weekend, my skier friends decided on trying snowboarding for a change. I was never interested in snowboarding and i thought it could be a chance for me to try something different as well.

Snowscooting or monoskis seemed very difficult? So, i thought snowblading could be an option? (I understand that I just opened myself to mockery Blush ) I already searched the forum for skiboarding, snowblading, skating etc. and could not find much info. (Perhaps i wasn't using correct terms??)

Is snowblading something one could simply give it a try or would you advise not to start it at all without an instructor? Would i be using my regular ski boots and be only renting the blades? And are there some tutorial videos that you would suggest for a beginner?

Thanks a lot!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@themothandthestar, If you're a reasonable skier then you should get to grips with snowblading fairly quickly. You use your normal alpine boots so renting blades would be the best option for a weekend.

Snowblading in my opinion is a bit of fun on piste for a day or two, and is actually a good check that you have your weight central when skiing, if you ski with your weight too far back you'll find that the front of the snowblades tend to chatter. No substitute for proper skis though! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used them for a couple of weeks when I couldn't seem to progess with skis. You can try them, they're much easier to turn, but more tiring than skis. As was said something for a day or so but no substitute for skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
themothandthestar wrote:
I already searched the forum for skiboarding, snowblading, skating etc. and could not find much info. (Perhaps i wasn't using correct terms??)

Nope, you were just looking on the wrong website (snowHeads is for real skiers and boarders) wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Snowblading in my opinion is a bit of fun on piste for a day or two, and is actually a good check that you have your weight central when skiing, if you ski with your weight too far back you'll find that the front of the snowblades tend to chatter.

Agree (and unlike many of the people who pour scorn on snowblades I've used them, inside and outside lessons). If your weight isn't right you'll fall over backwards - which is a very useful correction to the way some people ski.

It also helps wean beginnerish skiers off their terminal addiction to poles (so would skiing without poles of course, but people seem to be most unwilling to try that, whereas blading WITH poles just looks ridiculous).

They are definitely harder on the knees than skis.

They chatter badly unless you have them on their edges - which, again, can be useful to help skiers who are too prone to just skid around on flat skis.

You don't need an instructor - just rent a pair of snowblades. But be aware that there are two different things - some manufacturers, including Atomic, make short skis which are not the same as snowblade and much more like skis to use.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You will need a thick skin...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for all the advice!!

I did try them and did think that they were fun for a day.

When you want to rent them online, they only have an option of "mini skis". And when you go to the store and if it is not crowded, it is possible to discuss and get blades instead of purely short skis i think...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you have to ask............. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy