Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt: Snow-forecast.com predicts 267cm dump [from 15 Feb] ... 238cm [from 13 Mar]

Poster: A snowHead
[EDIT: see new posting below [13 Mar] for latest snowforecast.com prediction]

... for Zermatt. And maybe other places. The forecast went out yesterday Saturday, over a 3-day period up to close of Monday ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1573582266261873/

Here's the live evidence of that 267cm 'dump in progress' ...

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Webcams/Dorf-Zermatt-1/Kirchplatz-Zermatt

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 15-03-15 12:48; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The current forecast (10am Sunday) is 75cm more by close of Monday ...

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt/6day/mid
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks bright and sunny to me!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowdump in progress on the southern flank of Monte Rosa (IT)

Alagna

Macugnaga
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The snow-forecast.com 267cm dump ... captured at Findeln (2050m) above Zermatt ...

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Webcams/Berge-1/Findeln-2-050-m
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow forecast.Com showing 70cm as of now. Interesting. I'm in chamonix this weekend, hopefully we get some too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Lift faffer, meteoblue not showing much fir Cham and Chamonix Meteo refusing to commit. Maybe a little early to get excited.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Karl Marx, do I detect a hint of irony wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
methinks @Karl Marx is trying to make Kapital out of Snow-forecast's weaknesses!! Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll be happy with 27cm snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@luigi, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another massive snow-forecast.com prediction for Zermatt. 238cm this time ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SKI.HUB/permalink/1593952994224800/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Better not take my white trainers then Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ZERMATT DUMP UPDATE

Yesterday the snow-forecast.com prediction was 238cm. At 6am this morning (Saturday) the dump alert had been upgraded to 251cm by close of next Thursday (6-day forecast).

Here's that 6-day forecast: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153141323105761&set=p.10153141323105761&type=1&theater

So that includes 34cm today Saturday, 59cm tomorrow Sunday and 77cm on Monday.

The progress of this snow-blitz can be monitored on the Zermatt-Findeln webcam at 2050m: http://www.zermatt.ch/index.php/Webcams/Berge-1/Findeln-2-050-m

Not to spoil the excitement, the Zermatt tourist office predicts:

Saturday: "mostly dry weather will dominate"

Sunday: "On Sunday late morning it will be widely overcast, but mainly dry. At noon dominates overcast, but mainly dry weather. In the late evening it will become overcast with local snowfall."
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ZERMATT DUMP UPDATE

Snow-forecast.com 6-day prediction at 6am this morning:

Screen-grab: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153143739120761&set=p.10153143739120761&type=1&theater

59cm today Sunday, 71cm tomorrow Monday, 35cm Tuesday (total of 182cm by close of next Friday)

Zermatt.ch 3-day prediction - current forecast of local tourist office

"mainly dry" today Sunday, "mainly dry" tomorrow Monday, "mainly dry" Tuesday
snow report
So that includes 34cm today Saturday, 59cm tomorrow Sunday

Judging by that webcam looks like zermatt.ch is far more accurate than snow-forecast - don't know why you're going on about it so much when so far it's not happened has it rolling eyes

Similar scenario down in this part of the world at the moment Sad
ski holidays
Not sure that I'm "going on about it" - just giving daily updates of the dump-in-progress. Here's the situation at 12 noon Sunday, according to the Findeln webcam (2050m) above Zermatt:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153143804970761&set=p.10153143804970761&type=1&theater
snow report
get the snorkel Wink
snow report
Karl Marx wrote:
- just giving daily updates of the dump-in-progress. Here's the situation at 12 noon Sunday, according to the Findeln webcam (2050m) above Zermatt:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153143804970761&set=p.10153143804970761&type=1&theater

That's what I mean - from what that cam shows no snow has fallen - so it's hardly an update of a dump in progress is it rolling eyes
snow conditions
Both Landi Radar and Meteo Swiss radar projections are showing some serious precipitation possibilities pushing up from the south for the next 36 hours. Cervinia looks like it is going to do very well (story of this winter). How much makes it over to the Swiss side is in the lap of the weather gods. Lots I hope as I am out there for Easter.
ski holidays
That may be, but there ain't much precipitation landing. Meteosuisse currently predict a few millimetres of rain-equivalent.

Snow-forecast.com, however, continue to declare that a major snowstorm is in progress (for the 3rd day). Their 6am forecast this morning was for a 3rd day of heavy snow (67cm) today ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153146794340761&set=p.10153146794340761&type=1&theater

What's on the ground so far - about 0.5cm to 1cm that fell overnight and has mainly melted ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153146794340761&set=p.10153146794340761&type=1&theater
snow report
@Karl Marx, aye Zermatt is not getting much of it. Cervinia is doing alright and looks to have a fair bit more to come. The greedy Italians won't let any of it over the ridge (although it looks like some might make it over later on). I've spent a fair bit of time going over that side this season and can see me doing the same at Easter.
snow report
@Karl Marx, not back tracking on "just giving daily updates of the dump-in-progress" are we rolling eyes
snow report
I'm not sure that I understand your point - the posting at 11.11 was a daily update of the dump-in-progress, which is now in its 3rd day.
The snow-forecast.com forecast of last Friday was that 198cm snow would fall by close of today Monday. Here's what was new on the ground a couple of hours ago:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153146801870761&set=p.10153146801870761&type=1&theater

Note that snow-forecast.com is predicting another dump for next Thursday-Saturday: 106cm total snow.
snow report
But there has not been a dump yet, so how can there be a daily update of a dump in progress, it's simply drivel.

The only thing you've highlighted correctly is how snow-forecast can get things so wrong, or to be fairer, how weather patterns in the mountains can be fickle.

This is more like a dump - mate just sent this to me from Gressony, even then that's only 15cm or so - though in KM's eyes that's probably constitutes a mega dump..............

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 16-03-15 15:09; edited 4 times in total
snow report
Umm. I'm confused. Is there good snow in Zermatt at the moment or not? We're off there next Monday and I'm beginning to worry!
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
But there has not been a dump yet, so how can there be a daily update of a dump in progress

OK - 'dump-in-prediction' then
snow report
@Szymon,

We're off tomorrow for the second time this season, snow would be fine in Zermatt and even better on the Italian side. Webcam above is at Findeln (I think) on the Sunnegga side looking over south-facing slopes. Snow was good in December and it will be good this time.
Resort reporting 2.5M on upper runs. I'll be more disappointed if the sun doesn't make an appearance though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks franga Happy
snow report
@franga, I agree. KM is just having a bit of fun at snow-forecast's rather outlandish predictions. The snow in Zermatt is fine and will be up to and including Easter. After our Easter trip I am back out again two weeks later for Zermatt unplugged and confidently expect the skiing to be good then. The place that is really benefiting is Cervinia. It has had really good snow this year and is continuing to get it - including as I type. Cervinia can be a bit dodgier as March turns to April as it is south facing so can get slushier. But anyone going out now or in the next couple of weeks would be well advised to splash out the extra cash and get an international pass so that they can spend some time over there.
snow conditions
It seems that snow-forecast.com can't predict snowfall on the day of their 6am forecasts. Not even for the 3-6 hours ahead of those forecasts. As regards Zermatt ...

At 6am on Fri 13 Mar they predicted 5cm snow on that day. There was nothing.
At 6am on Sat 14 Mar they predicted 34cm snow on that day. There was nothing.
At 6am on Sun 15 May they predicted 59cm snow on that day. There was about 1cm.
At 6am today Mon 16 May they predicted 67cm snow today. So far there's been nothing.
This organisation provides 9-day snow forecasts to the Ski Club of GB, and maybe other organisations.
What are its meteorological credentials?
ski holidays
These Marxist criticisms of the meteorological prediction system are starting to chafe. I think that the forecasts are written using the very particular form of direct Democracy that only Switzerland is capable of (if the majority of people decide to have snow, there *will* be snow!), and that the differing ideology is your real beef. I respectfully suggest that, if you want a real update of how much snow there is, you tie a couple of planks to your feet and visit the area yourself (sliding down the slopes is a multi-partisan activity). Alternatively, if you want a genuine foretelling of the weather conditions, I suggest moving from politics to religion...
ski holidays
@Szymon, if he actually spent any time out in the mountains on a long term basis he would realise that it's more to do with how the various micro climates throw a spanner in the works of the various models that the many and varied forecast Co's use.

Anyone who knows will look at a number of models and then assess an average over them.

That said look at http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S517~Zermatt;sess=#forecast and http://www.yr.no/place/Switzerland/Valais/Zermatt~2657928/

Currently it's a very complex weather pattern and all is has to do is be 30km out and the results (either way) are staggering.

It's not snow-forecast it's more to do with the complexity this time of fronts tracking through, and his lack of knowledge on this is all too obvious.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@Szymon, if he actually spent any time out in the mountains on a long term basis he would realise that it's more to do with how the various micro climates throw a spanner in the works of the various models that the many and varied forecast Co's use ... his lack of knowledge on this is all too obvious.

@Weathercam, [is it OK if I call you 'Sunshine'?] ... this has nothing to do with how much time I spend on mountains, because I don't claim to be a meteorologist or want to be one - pro or amateur. What is clear is that the more competent local Swiss forecasters understand Zermatt's microclimate a lot better than Snow-forecast.com .

You're making excuses for forecasters who are obviously incompetent. It should be possible for them to predict the snow at 6am for the morning ahead. They clearly can't. For the same company to make 9-day forecasts is preposterous.
ski holidays
@Karl Marx, snow-forecast are taking one computer generated model called the GFS and automating forecasts based upon it. No more, no less. No human intervention, no "local knowledge"

It is (as you've identified) complex and very hard to get right

http://www.snow-forecast.com/pages/faq#model
snow report
@Karl Marx, you clearly do not understand how all these so called forecast Co's work !

They are not forecasters but a series of computers with complex algorithms that will have a series of models based on various resolutions.

Where as maybe the local Swiss "dudes" (actually human) are looking it at in the old fashioned analytical way in much the same way as I do back in the UK when trying to asses the sea breeze potential on the South Coast in the summer.

So basically I do agree with you that these big Co's are a bit of a joke, but it is unfair to dig one out when they all more or less all use the same models.

Like I say, and amusing that you've latched on to the word "micro climate", that's what it's all about.

Tomorrow we're doing a road trip only 45mins to a place where a guide mate was today with a group and he told me on the phone just now, almost too much fresh today, where as here we've had zero.

This was posted four hours ago

latest report
It was snowing in Zermatt steadily for last few days, while most of Valais received only some clouds. If only these snow could be moved to lower Valais! Looks like a road trip on Saturday morning is in order. 3-5 cm of dust forecast for Verbier is not worth getting out of bed for.
snow report
never summer wrote:
It was snowing in Zermatt steadily for last few days

Are you sure about that? The live webcam at Findeln (2050cm) showed a dusting of about 1cm on Sunday, which then melted. Apart from that there's been nothing -the 251cm predicted by snow-forecast.com (with continuing snowfall of 26cm forecast for today, according to their 6am report) simply hasn't materialised at all.

Screen grab here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153149592575761&set=p.10153149592575761&type=1&theater

The same forecasters are predicting a fall of 126cm between Thursday and Sunday ("heavy snow" on Friday and Saturday) but Zermatt.ch reckon that Friday and Saturday will be dry ... according to this page: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Weather-forecast . In fact, their prediction is that all those days will be dry.

Let's see what pans out this time.
latest report
Karl Marx wrote:
never summer wrote:
It was snowing in Zermatt steadily for last few days

Are you sure about that? The live webcam at Findeln (2050cm) showed a dusting of about 1cm on Sunday, which then melted. Apart from that there's been nothing

Findeln is south facing. The whole of that bit of the mountain has been large patches of green for most of the winter. That is not that unusual. It always amazes me they manage to keep the learner slopes down from Sunnegga through Findeln in such good condition all season given how the rest of that bit of the mountain tends to look.

All the snow these last few days has been coming from the south/south-west. I tend to look at the radar projections on Landi and Meteo. They only go out 33 hours max (sensibly). But they have consistently been showing the clouds getting as far as the Italy-Swiss ridge and not much creeping over even at the “low” point of Plateau Rosa at three and a half thousand metres. That has of course meant good stuff for Cervinia. Having said that some creeps over – it is currently snowing from Klein Matterhorn down to Trockener Stag with some making it over to Gornergrat. However, it is not making it as far north and low as Zermatt itself or Findeln.

I understand what those who have more knowledge about these things than me are saying about the run snow-forecast are picking up. But I share your surprise that that run has kept predicting a whole load of the good stuff making it over even on the day in question when the radars are showing it getting stuck.
snow report
@JohnMo, you've made very interesting points and anyone who's skied Zermatt over the years (I first went there in about 1966) knows that it's in the 'snow shadow' of Cervinia in many storms.

With all its years of experience one would think that snow-forecast.com would understand the significance of this 'shadow' ... bearing in mind that for many people Zermatt is the world's most significant ski resort!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy