Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes/ Val at Easter 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone

I'm planning an Easter break for my son and I during the holidays. I'm flexible about location and method of transport, but am cost conscious (yeah yeah rolling eyes ) snowHead

Can you advise me how best to put it together please? So far, I was thinking about flying Easy Jet to Geneva, then using a transfer service to Val D'isere/ Tignes, where we would stay in a small apartment/ chalet. Can anyone advise of this rough plan, especially the transfer bit, as I've never done DIY? Any recommendations for accomodation?

My assumptions;

* Val/ Tignes is good for us confident intermediates. Other location recommendations welcome
* We will be able to stay a bit longer than the usual 6 days that package deals offer
* We won't have to queue TOO much for lifts
* That we can do it for under 2 grand, all in

Other thoughts;

* Am ok with going by train, if it's workable
* Is it worth buying ski passes in advance? Is it cheaper, or might we risk them reaching capacity if we try to do it when we get there?
* Is one of the two Easter weeks better than the other for crowds, cost, etc?

Really appreciate any and all feedback. Many thanks, Nick.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should be able to achieve this. You suggest you may do longer than a week. If you avoid normal flight days SAT/SUN then flights will be cheaper. However, splitting accommodation weeks may reduce your accommodation options as chalet/apartment owners are prefer to book sat to sat or sun to sun.

Chambery is a shorter transfer and should be less risky for cancelations due to poor weather at that time of year. Geneva is better for DIY as more flights in and out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@faithsdaddy, My son and I are going to Tignes this Easter, staying half-board at the Chalet Chardons in Les Brevieres. I believe they are quite flexible on arrival/departure dates. They offer their own transfer service from Geneva, but I think that is only Saturdays. Would still be well within your budget, factoring in flights and transfers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lockkeeper- do you have a link for your chalet please snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also, can I get your opinions on Eurostar from London to Bourg & transfer to Val Vs flight from Gatwick to Geneva/ Chambery then transfer?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Other recommendations: Paradiski

DIY is really just piecing together the elements of the holiday individually, the two common and critical ones being travel (drive, flight, train, transfer) and accommodation. There are then the optional ones of tuition and equipment hire. The more specific you want on these the sooner you will want to book. Lift passes you can either buy online beforehand if the facility is available or at the lift pass office on arrival. Sometimes you can get cheaper in advance but I would say more often than not it makes no odds.

Train is certainly workable and lots of people enjoy going this way. Critical for cost conscious individuals such as yourself is to know the exaxt date tickets go on sale so that you get the best price.

It's not busy at Easter. The first week will be marginally busier.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Entirely do-able. Altibus or bensbus for DIY transfers from Geneva. Altibus for transfers from Bourg. Can't see any advantages to train personally but maybe you do. You'd regret buying a pass in advance if the weather on day 1 is dire. I've never succeeded in renting in Val d'Isere anything except full weeks and I have tried. Not sure I'd want to stay in Les Brevieres as it's very much on the fringe of Espace Killy but each to their own.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dogwatch- I must admit, I'm finding it quite hard to sort out anything other than a week,which is a shame, because it doesn't seem that much more for 8 or 9 days than 6.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've done the Eurostar to Bourg and then a taxi transfer to Tignes half a dozen times. The Saturday daytime Eurostar is a lovely, relaxed way to get to the mountains. Take a picnic with beer/wine and just settle in for the trip.

Taxi transfer worked for us because we share one between 6 but Altibus might be better for two people. We stayed in Tignes Val Claret which we found to be a bit cheaper than ValD but also a lot quieter in the evenings.

We used Ski Republic for ski hire (2 for 1 deal).

Ski schools - we used Marmottons ski nursery when the boys were starting and then Evolution 2 after that. Evolution 2 wew very good indeed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can ski 8 days if you get an overnight train.

Or, if you can get a cheap deal for 2 weeks consecutive accomodation, you could just turn up and leave when you want.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've heading back to Tignes in a couple of weeks, heading out on Eurostar from St Pancras to Bourg, short hop on Altibus to Tignes Les Brev and staying at Chalet Chardons' Chalet Boubou. I've been a couple of times to Tignes this way and staying in different Chalet Chardons places. Happy to recommend it.

With regards to the train: the reason we choose it is I can leave my office and be at the station within 30 minutes. Then after a few hours attempts at a kip (albeit it in upright seats) and a short (45 minute, 8 euro) bus journey, you can be in resort by 8am on the Saturday. With the train leaving the following Saturday night it gives you 8 days skiing. Chalet Chardons (and many other chalte folk) are used to this and allow you to store bags, provide changing space, and a bit of brekkie on arrival. With the extra day and no need to visit an airport departure lounge for an unspecified number of hours, I think it works out quite well. (OK so the tunnel is bound to be closed in 2 weeks time now I have said that.)

Les Brevs is quieter in the evenings, though it has some good restaurants (for non catered night) and a couple of good bars. Downside - it is not on the Tignes bus route, but if you miss the last lifts down you can always get a bus to Les Boisses and then ski back down.

Ski hire we use is Intersport, and never had any problems to date.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@faithsdaddy, Its not my chalet (wish it was though Very Happy ) link here: http://www.chaletchardons.com/
Its cheap and cheerful. Excellent service and food.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have done it many time by train. I have a preference for the sleeper train departing Austerlitz late (Saturday) night over the Eurostar which has the advantage of being straight shot and allows you to relax properly. You arrive early morning in Bourg St Maurice, right in time to hop on the shuttle service up to the resort.the itme for you to dump the bag and change and you are on the pistes by mid morning. If I leave on week days then Eurostar + TGV (Lyon or Chambery Challes les Eaux) + TER which is longer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did a long weekend in ValD a couple of years ago and used this place:-

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187271-d314088-Reviews-Hotel_le_Kern-Val_d_Isere_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html

Very much a cheap, clean, warm and friendly place rather than luxury BUT they were v relaxed about us needing flexible arrangements rather than Sat to Sat. Might be worth a try for 8 or 9 days?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lockkeeper, What's it like getting around, especially to Val? In the 'Where to ski and Snowboard' book, it says the local ski bus doesn't take in Breviers. Also, what did you make of the rooms? It seems to suggest the rooms would be shared- don't really fancy sharing with strangers.
latest report
@faithsdaddy, They have a variety of rooms and a variety of chalets in Brev - you get what you pay for, From Brev La Daille is a bubble, a chair, and another bubble, for the centre of Val add one more chair. Its easy -and a lot more difficult to get stranded when compared with the 3V. The free buses do not take in Brev but they do take in Boisses from where you can ski to Brev (at your own risk after lift closure)
snow report
So I could catch a ski lift out of Brevieres to Boisses, where I could catch a ski bus around Val & Tignes?

Also, any idea what sort of cost I would be looking at for a Sat-Sat at Easter? I had a look for this year on Easy Jet and it's rather eye watering. Can't seem to look at dates as far ahead as Easter 2016, but was wondering how much cheaper it would be if I booked early?
snow conditions
That's Gatwick to Geneva flights, BTW snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

I must admit, I'm finding it quite hard to sort out anything other than a week

are you booking now for Easter 2016? Most French agencies and owners don't seem to work that far in advance. But yes, most of them won't look at anything other than whole weeks. Hotels might be more flexible.

As suggested above, 2 weeks of a cheap studio needn't cost a lot, then you could fly Tuesday/Thursday, which would save money. But with just two of you, and trying to keep costs down, I think I'd be tempted to do a last minute TO package, being open-minded about where to go. If you decided to go down that route you wouldn't need to think about it for at least 13 months. Little Angel

Easter 2016 is early - there should be plenty of places with decent snow.
snow report
@faithsdaddy, No you get on the second lift to Tignes Le Lac and the third to Val. 45 mins for a decent red run skier. The only buses that run between Val and Tignes are pay buses that run bus station to bus station. They are really only useful if you end up in a bar too long and miss the last lift. The whole E-K lift system is that good you don't need a bus.
snow conditions
hi there, we are doing 9 nights with meava in one of their studio apartments in tignes le lac this easter, it isnt luxurious but is more than adequate and they are willing to do the longer stay.
Also, if you buy your lift pass through them you got a child lift pass free. we are flying easyjet to geneva and have hired a car, all in with flights, car hire, lift passes, accom and 5 days school for my daughter is costing £1800 for me, my ife and daughter. the only extra thing apart from drinks and food is car parking in the underground car park which is about £50
ski holidays
faithsdaddy wrote:
So I could catch a ski lift out of Brevieres to Boisses, where I could catch a ski bus around Val & Tignes?

In Val'Isere there are free buses between La Daille and Fornet, frequent during the day, less so in the evening. Also free buses in Tignes but I don't know the details of those. The two don't link up, not by several miles.

It's easy enough to ski between Brevieres, Tignes and Val d'Isere although the 45 minutes someone suggested Brevieres to Val d'Isere seems pretty optimistic to me, I think the lifts alone will take longer than that. But in the evening I think you'd need a taxi, which afailk don't come cheap. Or use the scheduled transfer bus but that runs only a few times a day and I'm not sure how far into the evening. Or stay in Brevieres, which is a sleepy little place compared to the main parts of the Espace Killy.

I don't mind sleepy. The main problem to me in staying at Brevieres would be that you are right at one end of Espace Killy and you've got a long commute to get to central Val d'Isere ski areas or even to Val Claret. Even if it's quite a nice commute.
snow report
If you do go for more than a week, regarding the transfers, when I went to Les Arcs/Tignes for 10 days a couple of years ago I found that the shared transfer companies such as Bens Bus only did weekend transfers. However, I was able to get a mid-week transfer from Geneva airport with the French bus company Altibus. I think this was pretty much the only option mid-week. I don't think their service stops at Les Brevieres though.

For the extra mid-week nights I stayed at the excellent Loft Hostel in Bourg, from where it's a quick ride up the funicular to Les Arcs. May not be your 'scene' though...
snow report
CathS wrote:
Altibus..... I don't think their service stops at Les Brevieres though.

Some of the services definitely do. Most I think.
latest report
@dogwatch, yes you are right!
ski holidays
For flexible accom in Tignes you could try asking the following (but no guarantees):-
tignes.co.uk
dragonlodge.com
thetigneschaletcompany.com
mountainsunltd.com

They'd probably be able to help with transfers, too.
snow report
Hi everyone, thank you all so much for your replies. I've bookmarked this thread as I'm sure I'll refer to it again.

I've booked a tiny apartment in Tignes Val Claret (is that pronounced clarit or claray?) from 29th March to 8th April 2016 for £524 off of Tripadvisor. Really wanted the Chalet Chardons option, but they were a bit shaky about the mid week arrangement. Was shocked at how few people replied when I asked about rentals- about 5 replies from over 20 enquiries.

Next set of q's....Puzzled

* Is Altibus reliable and easy to find when at the airport? Any issues with Altibus at all?
* @London_Falcon, Couldn't get the 241 offer to work on their website. Is Intersport any good?
* Out of sheer curiosity, what's Geneva airport like and is it an ok place to spend a few hours (can see a time lag between arriving and leaving on the bus)?
* Is 2 hours enough time between plane arriving and bus leaving (and the same in reverse on the way home)?
* Are there toilets on the Altibus bus? Says 4.5 hour transfer and my pea sized bladder may have issues with that rolling eyes

Once again, thank you ever so much for answering my neurotic questions Smile
snow report
@faithsdaddy,

1. Reliable & easy to find.
2. Intersport ok
3. Big, soulless, expensive!
3. 2hrs should be ok
4. Bus makes plenty of stops so good chance of jumping off for a quick 'P'
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@faithsdaddy, don't worry about booking rental stuff until at least September time.... You will get more options to choose from. Try AlpinResorts and SnowBrainer as well.
ski holidays
Is it reaally 4.5 hours from the airport to Tignes?I thought it was 3.
snow report
faithsdaddy wrote:
Out of sheer curiosity, what's Geneva airport like and is it an ok place to spend a few hours (can see a time lag between arriving and leaving on the bus)?

There's free WiFi for (I think) an hour which passes some time for me. If you want to while away the time buying a £10,000 watch, there's plenty of choice.

The only reasonably priced restaurant does oriental food which I like but my travelling partner does not. We therefore check in then exit the airport and walk (10 mins) to the mall by the station which has restaurants of less eye-watering prices than the posh one in the airport.

Quote:
Are there toilets on the Altibus bus?

No. For the toilets at station stops you will need change if attendants are in attendance. Altibus is 100% reliable IME. One time the clutch on our coach seemed to be about to explode but they transferred us to another with only a short delay.
ski holidays
FullyTucked wrote:
Is it reaally 4.5 hours from the airport to Tignes?I thought it was 3.

Depends on the traffic, which can be horrendous.
ski holidays
Quote:

Was shocked at how few people replied when I asked about rentals- about 5 replies from over 20 enquiries.

Most French agencies won't be thinking about 2016 till the summer.
snow conditions
I've just been reading about food options in Tignes/ Val. Is eating out and the supermarket really THAT expensive? Are we talking twice the price of back in the UK or something?
latest report
@faithsdaddy, when we have DIYed in the past the two things we found cost far more than we were expecting was food to cook in resort and the transfer
snow report
Don't know about Tignes but as far as Val d'Isere goes, I'd say €25 per head for dinner is cheap, €40 is average and you can spend much more. Supermarket prices, 50-100% more than the UK. Not really sure there is anything you'd really call a supermarket, more like large convenience stores.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 14-02-15 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Are we talking twice the price of back in the UK or something?

probably yes, until recently, but the current weakness of the euro is helping a bit. The Espace Killy is very expensive - you could get a nice two bedroom apartment with a decent kitchen for less than that in quieter areas. A last minute catered chalet deal, with food provided, could end up no more expensive and less work. And more sociable, with just the two of you.
ski holidays
Quick follow up. Since you are in Val Claret I'd say it's worth giving Daffys a go for a meal out. It's an American diner type thing with ok options for all the family and not massively expensive.

Completely agree with Stewart's answers above to your questions, especially re Geneva airport.

You can self cater without breaking the bank but you'll need to plan accordingly.

If you are going for the week I'd take a look at both train and lanes options for getting there. The train is a REALLY nice option for avoiding the chaos of airports!
latest report
faithsdaddy wrote:
Also, can I get your opinions on Eurostar from London to Bourg & transfer to Val Vs flight from Gatwick to Geneva/ Chambery then transfer?

Have done it and really like it the best of all the options. You can either do an overnight or a day trip. The return trip is the same(overnight or day). Easy transfer from Bourg to val by taxi. Only issue is there is no wifi on the train.

That being said, we have found the most cost effective of way to do Val (March will be our 7th trip) as a package with one of the tour operators. Chamberey is the closest airport(less than two hours) and Crystal and many others run packages including transfers from there.
snow conditions
faithsdaddy wrote:

* Are there toilets on the Altibus bus? Says 4.5 hour transfer and my pea sized bladder may have issues with that rolling eyes

No, but there is a loo stop on the journey (I think at Moutiers when I took the bus from Geneva to Tignes).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy