Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FatMap App - any reviews?

Poster: A snowHead
Saw this http://www.fatmap.com/ advertised at the weekend and now waiting for the android launch before I can consider it. I wondered if anyone has taken the plunge and what they think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting. Theoretically it might have been more useflu than the not very good paper map we were using in the Dolomotes last week. But I cannot imagine I'd be able to read it easily on my phone in bright sunlight. However, I'd be interested to read of actual experience of it,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didn't work properly on my iphone 4s (old, I know) so won't be looking at it until that gets upgraded... Also was a massive battery drain on my already crappy battery life...

Fiddling with bits that did load did show:

- You subscribe to individual ski areas, rather than a the app itself, but it only had Chamonix, Verbier and Zermatt available to test / buy so far.

- Apparently there is an offer where subscribing to an area during first 48hrs of their launch would give you access to that area / all their updates to it for life, rather than just a year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've not used that, but have used SkiMaps which is basically an electronic version of a paper map but it shows you up on the paper map with a pulsing blue dot. Useful if you're not entirely sure where you are and there are no lift names in sight.

Although I liked the 'where am I' function, it is easier to see the whole piste map on paper, and easier to get a paper map out with gloves on than a phone. Also in extreme cold phones are liable to switch off anyway.

If they could do something like fatmap to be viewed through a HUD in goggles or something, I would be interested in that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your resort has the big maps with green/red LEDs then take a photo

If it doesn't the download a JPEG of the map to your phone before going

Who needs an app?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We used the Via Lattea augmented reality (or something like that) app a couple of weeks ago. Scarily good. In a total whiteout fired up the app and the screen using the camera showed the piste we were on, the edge of the piste and where the lifts and adjacent pistes were.

We actually ended up following the direction of the corduroy lines as looking at the screen was too much of a faff. Couldn't see one marker pole from the next. Love it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bertie bassett, it's not a piste map.. It's a 3d topographical map to help aid you making decisions in the backcountry. It's pointless if you just ski groomers. The application looks very good, but haven't tried it in the field so can't attest to how useful it is in practise.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've used the Verbier version on the £16 for life deal. An annual subscription is a bit steep. It's very impressive, has pretty much all the expected off piste lines on it - is useful as an addendum/alternative to the Freeride Verbier book.

It does seem to eat battery and I wouldn't rely on it to undertake any of those runs first time, preferring to do them with someone who has previously been there. And if you have to use it real time on the hill, you probably shouldn't be where you are.

Some dubious name assignment for some runs - Grande Couloir = Ocean Drive?

Also some stuff is missing, which is good!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saw this over on SCUK News
FatMap Application is coming to Android this weekend and is doing a special offer of lifetime subscription to resort maps for the price of a 1-year subscription available for 48 hours.
More details here...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you get a lifetime subscription to the mapping of one resort is it really that useful?

Even I would get the hang of the pistes after a couple of years Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just downloaded this to my iPhone 6. I also downloaded the free trial of Grand Montets which I know very well. Obviously not used it in anger but I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far. The rendering is beautiful, and all but my secret stashes seem to be plotted. Looking forward to trying it out on the hill. It's not just the pistes, all the standard off piste routes are marked, with a short discription and profile, plus you can overlay a gradient map. I guess battery life will be an issue.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@musher, You're right - I did this for Verbier which I know very well. It's a clever piece of kit and I now act as an unpaid marketing man for them showing my mates this amazing app, which shows us the places we already know.

If you didn't know somewhere it looks really good, but whilst it makes perfect sense if you're familiar with the terrain I can see if you were new to a place it could be overwhelming.

Best role maybe to help people to explore areas they already know a bit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've now bought a subscription for Chamonix. The hi-res 3D mapping is very good. I'm looking forward to trying it out properly on the hill.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What is the cost? It is not clear from the website.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ringingmaster, it was £7.99, much less without the free ride lines. If you download the app which is free you get Grand Montets including the free ride lines free, so you can have a good look at it without paying anything.
The£7.99 is an annual fee. I know Chamonix extremely well and I can hardly fault it, it's even given me some ideas. Fortunately none of my secret stashes are shown 🤐

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 31-10-15 0:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
That is very reasonable @jbob,
snow report
@achilles, ø

The old Tabbacco map for a part of the dolomites was so nice. My 2 maps are quite used now. I heard from Tabbacco 2 years ago, that they have no capacity to update it.
App-maps do not work for me when I ski. Cool
latest report
They made a new Sella ronda map in 2010, but the area is just to limited. Crying or Very sad
latest report
@jbob, one thing you should watch out for is the app recording the location of your secret stashes and sending it back to HQ for inclusion. Would be worth checking the permission model you have to accept.
snow conditions
Anyone else noticed how that have been jigging about their first up maps ? Having said that they seem to have world domination in thier sights.

Give this a listen

http://lowpressurepodcast.com/45-fatmap-reinventing-mobile-3d-ski-maps-misha-gopaul/
ski holidays
anyone know when the other resorts will be available to download within the fatmap app. at the moment it is very limited? it does say on the resorts that they will be available fro 15/16 ski season???? Confused
latest report
All the US resorts say Dec or Jan. The European ones you rightly say "season" I'll ask on their Facebook site.
I'll post a review when I have tried it out on the hill, something I'm really keen to do.
snow report
Really nothing to review Europe wise as it seems to be June skiing at the moment
snow conditions
FYI, looks like more areas available now (according to the promotional email I recieved earlier)
Quote:
All the world’s leading resorts in North America and Europe are now available on FATMAP!
Les Trois Vallees, Jackson Hole, Whistler, St. Anton, Aspen and many more… You can find the full list on our website.
And with the new version of FATMAP you can now download all areas for FREE with premium subscription plans available for additional features.
ski holidays
Interestingly an upgrade to the current version didn't reveal the new maps, but an uninstall / install did. Although still by no means the full list - about 18.
snow report
I also had an email, the full current list is;
"Areas now available for download:
Europe:
Chamonix
Grand Massif
Paradiski (Les Arcs & La Plagne)
Tignes & Val D'Isere
Verbier
Vorarlberg
Zermatt

North America :
Aspen/ Snowmass
Crystal Mountain
Keystone
Mammoth Mountain
Mount Bachelor
Powder Mountain
Steamboat
Taos
Vail"
They have also changed the pricing, not 100% sure but looks like the basic map is now free, then you subscribe to the free ride stuff.

Winter Park
snow report
@achilles, @Hyst,

DolomitiSuperski have an 'app'...... 3D

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/service/app

Not used it tho'...
snow conditions
Hi guys,

FATMAP now have 25 resorts across Europe and North America.

Launch video released today http://fatmap.com/launch/

There is a free version with unlimited map downloads then for pro you get:
- a higher level of imagery
- access to terrain intelligence features (gradient, aspect, crevasse zones etc)
- off piste / backcountry lines
- unlimited maps

Pricing also avail on the website launch page.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is the Portes du Soleil map still expected to be available later this month?
latest report
Think the app looks excellent, going by the free version. Look forward to the Portes du Soleil map. Be interested to test its offline capacity (if any) on the slopes.
snow conditions
@fatmapski, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead That app looks rather cool Cool
latest report
@fatmapski, welcome to Snowheads Very Happy

Would you be able to clarify a point for me. Does the fatmap app harvest details of lines I ski off-piste and feed it back into the app?
snow report
@fatmapski, I can't find anywhere that tells me what region is actually covered by the maps. The only info I can find are the map titles. So there is Chamonix piste, Chamonix Freeride and Chamonix upgrade. I need to know what they actually cover. So, for example, do they cover all the way to the head of the Argentier and Tour glaciers? I need to know the actual boundaries before I commit to something like this.
snow conditions

MMM I have the Chamonix map I'll post the photos of the coverage. Where it's light coloured it's covered.
The coverage is more than the pisted ski area. The whole of the VB is covered plus the Toule glacier. It goes a little way up the Argentiere glacier which covers all the Freeride routes from GM plus the col de passion which is not marked. At Le Tour it covers everything incl the back bowls and the runs down to Trient. At Brevent Flegere all the Freeride is covered plus the Berard valley but no touring routes marked.
latest report
@fatmapski thanks for the great app! Used it in Val Thorens and it was very cool.

I did have some issues with it regularly checking where I was on the mountain. The tracking would sometimes make it look like I missed whole runs and jumped around the resort. Is it using a lot of 3g data when tracking or just GPS?

Thanks!
snow conditions
jbob wrote:

MMM I have the Chamonix map I'll post the photos of the coverage. Where it's light coloured it's covered.
The coverage is more than the pisted ski area. The whole of the VB is covered plus the Toule glacier. It goes a little way up the Argentiere glacier which covers all the Freeride routes from GM plus the col de passion which is not marked. At Le Tour it covers everything incl the back bowls and the runs down to Trient. At Brevent Flegere all the Freeride is covered plus the Berard valley but no touring routes marked.

Thanks for the description but the picture is just showing a big brownish grey box. However it does sound like it covers all the essentials but I guess not touring routes like "Les Trois Cols" and also stuff from places like Valais and Vallee d'Aoste. Also I assume Les Contamines is not covered.

I guess I'm just wondering whether it's worth it against guide books + having all the IGN 25k maps on my phone.
ski holidays
Sorry re photos my wifi is playing up and I'm doing this on my phone. I'll try later.
snow report

Map1
snow conditions

Map2
ski holidays

Map3 MMM it's great forfreeride and pistes, if you are touring then routes aren't marked so paper map
And compass would be needed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy