Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heli skiing in Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name, Yes, I'm slipping into jargon. A second try: "they don't have better terrain which they can actually use, perhaps because of snow condition, avalanche risk, or other factors I don't understand".

I'm sure they'd not go to those places if they had a choice. One reason I mostly use a very large operator is that they have a very large "tenure" - more places to go. You can fly for an hour if you're going to the extremity of the tenure, although they'll not do that if they can avoid it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dashed and Jbob, thanks for the update, certainly doesn't sound like my dream day out in Virgin powder! I'm out in Bansko at the minute and have been skiing the steepest and deepest snow I have ever done-makes me wonder if a heli drop is necessary if you know where the powder is, as in with a guide!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rikster, no, a heli is not at all required.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@philwig, that 's more or less what I thought you meant.

It would be interesting to consider how many habitations were overflown by a 1 hour flight radius from Cervinia, say. snowHead
latest report
 Robert85
Robert85
Rob, great picture
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Robert85, it was a great day
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AVOID VAL HELISKI - you will spend a lot to get very disappointed.

I recently did a heli trip with Val Heliski who operate out of Val d'Isere..and Southampton (so not really very close to the action). The plan was to do 2 long runs or perhaps a long and a short to be followed by keeping the guide to do a bit more off piste as we would have him for the day.

Sadly this is not what we got: first the guy meant to take us to the Heli was late, then we had to wait for the heli with lots of chat that we might be able to do 3 drops.

We eventually get picked up by heli but as soon as we are on the mountain get told there would be only one drop. We skied a short/half run...wait some more...then get told by the guide it was too dangerous to ski out, something he should have know before we had set off. This meant heli out...but not up the mountain for another run as we had hoped. Instead our group of 4 was split with a random extra joining our heli that dropped us on the edge of a piste. This mean waiting longer for the last member of our group to be picked up. Reunited our guide faffed around and waited for a third group to be collected before finally leading us in a much enlarged group to a restaurant.

More waiting and wasted time.

Finally we are collected and ski back on piste....by now it was late and skiing for the day was pretty much done. Throughout this the communication from the guide was poor/non-exisitent. All in all it was a very unsatisfactory day that was oversold and under delivered.

We obviously complained to Val Heliski who merely whacked the maximum charge on one of our credit cards with little apology (though claimed to be furious with the mountain guide). In response to texts trying to resolve the issue we were told to 'stop harassing'.

AVOID VAL HELISKI - you will spend a lot to get very disappointed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is really an issue with the guide (assuming your skiing was all up to standard). Can you say who the guide was and if he was IFGMA?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The guide was engaged via Val HeliSki, for the 'premium' (aka overpriced) service they offer, so I can't say for sure. I had expected Val HeliSki to have made the appropriate checks and plans in place as these are the services they were reselling, this appears not to have been the case. It ws for Val Helsinki to follow up with the guide and attempt to make good the disastrous day.

The service from and interactions with Val HeliSki have left a lot to be desired. Perhaps we should have known better than to book with someone based in the UK rather than in the mountains.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cahooner,

I don't know Val Heliski so I cannot comment however I have been Helisking in Italy either the Petit Gd Bernard Pass or Valgrishance operation from Ste Foy at least once or twice a season for the last ten years in fact I hope to be next week , weather permitting , I fully recommend that if you wish to go again you contact Tarentaise Tours . It is run by the director of the Guides office in Ste Foy and it has a very close relationship with these Heli operations if not the guides office .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rob Mackly,
Many thanks, I will definitely go for Tarentaise Tours instead of Val Heliski next time. They sund much better!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have used Tarentaise Tours (albeit a few years ago) and Val Heliski and would recommend TT any day. Val Heliski are only interested in the money and do not provide a good service. In contrast, I had a great day with Tarentaise Tours.

I would recommend Tarentaise Tours and book with Val Heliski at your peril.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val Heliski are officially BAD, with an even worse reputation I've since found out!! Sounds like you got the thick end of it.

You are better off using either a company with a presence in La Rosiere who will have guides in resort on hand - or if you're running out of Val D'isere/Tignes/Killy for pick up only, arrange with evo2, oxygene, snoworks or even poss esf. Avoid Val Heliski, keep hold of your cash and you'll avoid dissapointment. If you need a back up just ask any ski shop for a reference on Val Heliski - its highly unlikely to be positive.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My dealings with Valheliski have only been positive just did a sick day from Val Thorens yesterday best ski experience to date
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting thread. I'm going to Alagna next month with James Orr Heliski (www.heliski.co.uk). Right now, I will put my hand up and declare that I'm working for him. It's mainly digital marketing, but I suggested the idea of a hosted trip with Graham Bell and it's gone very well. The group will be in Alagna for four days (3 days backcountry, 1 day heli with two drops). Obviously the weather will be a big factor, but I'll report back when I get back. Right now it's clear that they have excellent snow and that the Freeride Paradise ski area looks HUGE!
ski holidays
Graham Bell the well known UIAGM High Mountain Guide? Long term off-piste and mountaineering experience since his youth in Chamonix?
snow report
Been to ski Montrose quite a few times and would say the middle (stafal/gressoney) is best for access for on and off piste. I'm sure there's heli skiing available locally. Check out Hotel Ellex which we loved when we stayed about 4 years ago. Has sauna etc but can't remember what it offers by way of spa treatments
latest report
I just had a great Experience with Val Heliski too. The conditions are insane at the moment. We did a direct heli transfer from Val d'Isere and ended up doing 4 drops instead of 2, since the conditions were just so good. Definitely the best snow I have skied so far!
snow report
@BenTisdall, surely the point of heli is you can stay where you like? Mascognaz for example.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Graham Bell the well known UIAGM High Mountain Guide? Long term off-piste and mountaineering experience since his youth in Chamonix?

Sarcy pants. Fair point.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy