Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another 'ski boot/foot pain' question - help & advice needed & appreciated :-)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm 43 and started skiing at 5 and have only ever missed 3 seasons in all those years ....... In recent years I've been getting incredibly sore feet early in the day . I've gone through three pairs on boots trying to remedy this - and now realise it's clearly not the boots ( currently using 2014 Salomon Quest ).

.......... The problem is the outer edge of both feet - running from front to back - from my little toe on the outside edge back along the towards my heel . In the morning it's cripplingly sore when first starting out - properly sore - feels very cramp like . So painful in fact that I need to stop & remove the boots for a foot rub.

Although it's not the boots I've had them widened by 2-3mm just for good measure . I cannot replicate the scenario while siting with the boots on in the house - it's only happens when on the piste .

I'd appreciate any help / advice / input with this , I'm drawing a blank - ITS RUINING THE SPORT I LOVE SO MUCH Sad

Solve this and I'll by you a beer Happy

Regards
Barry ( Glasgow )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
are you using footbeds that have been molded to your feet?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used moulded in soles for the last boots and this didn't seem to fix the issues Sad

Thanks for your input Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your best bet is to visit a decent boot fitter and get them to take a look.

It could be that you have high arches that could benefit from moulded insoles in order to spread the load. The problem can be that if your feet have a tendency to pronate then your current insoles might not have moulded correctly and you still end up with too much weight being taken on the outside edge of the foot.

Go and see a proper boot fitter. There's a good chance they'll know from experience what's happening and will also be able to confirm it from looking at your feet and they way you stand.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was there not a similar symptom described in another thread a while back, where it was suggested it might not be a boot question but perhaps tight calf muscles or lack of ankle flex or something similar. Might be worth a search through the other boot fitting threads to see. (I could be barking up the wrong tree completely)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 5-02-15 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rogg is right.
Insoles may not be the main issue but certainly part of a wider group of issues that require analysis from a bootfitter only a very good one will do.

If its happening in the mornings its probably your lower legs ie calfs are not stretched out (yes its physically simple) also this lack of flexion is possibly causing the foot too twist in the boot or contort as described by CEM giving the impression of needing wider boots.

So its possibly physical and stretching can easily be addressed and tested too see if its part of it .

One of the benefits of footbeds is they help hold the foot still in the boot under load or the forces of speed etc.
They can also help stop the foot spreading in length and width so imo are nearly always needed to obtain a longer term bootfit .

You can easily try superfeet but they must be sized to your heel width, arch length and needed arch height ...not by shoe size.

When doing the stretching you want long hold the stretch... not repetition or stretching that may strengthen ... but only at first!

Once further range of motion is obtained you could look at strengthening and also lifting the toe by strengthening the anterior tiblialis on the front of the leg in conjunction with stretching the calf on the rear .

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 5-02-15 22:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Superfeet reds are £25/£29 shipped on sportpursuit with march delivery now
Really these need to match the foot as well as possible in a few areas then cut down which is tough over the net .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
as has been said, so many things which could be causing the problem, flexibility is a key one, and possibly the forward lean of the boot/ramp angle of the binding putting you into a position which your body is fighting, worth chatting with your boot fitter and possibly seeing a good physio to see if there is anything locked up in the lower leg, i recently had a client who had this pain but much worse as soon as she put a boot on, a physio friend took a look did a quick adjustment and the pain has gone, the client now sees the physio the week before she goes skiing and suffers no pain...our bodies were never designed to do many of the things we do, and compensation for the position you sit in at work all day or how you do a sport can cause pain
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Barry,
It may be a non skiing problem eg metatarlsalgia. If it is the boots, try hiring for a day or two the latest Atomic Live Fit in a good size. They have great volume at the front, ie extra width, and height. They also have soft side panels at the side of the feet which allows further room for expansion.

My wife has suffered boot agony for many years. After much research on the web, I decided we would both try these, ie by hiring them in the first instance. They are just so comfortable. In the end she bought a pair (the shop refunded part of the rental) My boots are fine, but next year I shall probably switch over to these. Try them for a couple of days - you have nothing to lose.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never know - may be a "pinching" prob caused by the pressure from the outer shell - I've had mine stretched to create more volume - which has helped me no end

Whatever - REALLY hope u get it sorted
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had similar, and oddly enough I've got Salomon Quest too (2013 Max 100), though I've always had boot pain of some sort all my ski life (and been skiing since 17, now 42) with a variety of boots. Though usually tolerable, just never perfectly comfortable. These ones do get a bit painful at times though rather than just an ache, or on the other hand I also wonder if it's me.

Myself though it's not starting out but half way through the day. Sometimes a sort of arch pain and taking pressure off the foot helps, sometimes it's binding on the top of the foot. I know the guy in the shop when I bought the boots did say some people find them tight across the top and reviews say similar, but of course in shop they felt comfortable. Came from Snow & Rock and I got their custom footbed and the liner is the included heat moulded one but obviously not the same as a true custom liner.

I'm constantly adjusting the boot through the day and often end up tightening it a bit to secure the whole boot more which sometimes helps, but do up that tight at the start and way too tight. Though eventually if I'm being fairly aggressive I get past the aches and it settles in. Then next day, repeat.

Anyway, would be interested in a proper fit, custom liner etc. Not sure on the best place though. Surefoot means a trip into London. My ski club give me a discount, but it's negated by the cost of getting there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@deadkenny, profeet in Fulham. the train ticket is a small price to pay
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
. . .go to blistergearreview.com . . .check out the boot fitting 101/201 articles and leave a message with Charlie Bradley. He may take a couple of days to reply, but is pretty much bang on in terms of his analysis.

I bought some new boots from Snow & Rock and I was still getting circulation problems after trialling at the snowdome. I ended up going back several times to ensure they were perfect . . .sidas custom insoles, heat moulded shells and liners with pads at the pressure points . . .until I eventually had 5mm heel lifts fitted - with great results.

I'm also 43 - I used to 'ski through' boot pain with après ski alchohol and wear it like a badge . . .not anymore!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
deadkenny wrote:
Anyway, would be interested in a proper fit, custom liner etc. Not sure on the best place though. Surefoot means a trip into London. My ski club give me a discount, but it's negated by the cost of getting there.
Or another way of looking at it:
Quote:
Anyway, would be interested in a proper fit, custom liner etc. Not sure on the best place though. Surefoot means a trip into London. My ski club give me a discount, which negates the cost of getting there.

I would never have boots that weren't fitted properly now.
I'd say that was probably one of the first, best things I learned from snowHeads.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Who said that Ski Boots were supposed to be comfortable?

If they are comfortable they obviously don't fit, bang a couple of 4" nails through then then you'll start the pain at the start of the day, rather than waiting.

And ... you will enjoy even more the double barreled orgasm at the end of the day when you take them off.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy