Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
chrisrawles wrote:
Hi all,

We are starting to look in to options of coming out to Whistler for a Ski trip. I was just wondering what the local facilities are like in terms of stocking up on food if we go self catering etc.

The local market(s) are ok and a lot easier than shopping in Squarmish. Get a transfer and just pay the small amount extra in town. Note it is 2 or 3am our time when you set off from the Airport. As Stuarth says it is not an easy drive and loads of crashes with silly people using it. 2.5 hrs drive too from Airport, and expensive parking. Get a transfer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
+1 @Jake43

When geetee jr was very small, we used to arrive at Vancouver and check into a hotel. Then we'd hire a car and drive up the next day (in daylight) after we'd had some sleep. That worked OK. Nowadays, we just go straight to Whistler on a Ridebookers shuttle. You really don't need a car if you're in Whistler village. And with the exchange rate at $2 to the £1, food shopping has just got cheaper anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jake43, @geetee, Thanks for the heads up. As this is likely to be one of those trips you don't do all the time I think we are leaning towards a package deal that includes the transfers. Llittle stress on our part then. Also sleep on the coach as well.

Thanks for the info guys
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisrawles wrote:
@Jake43, @geetee, Thanks for the heads up. As this is likely to be one of those trips you don't do all the time I think we are leaning towards a package deal that includes the transfers. Llittle stress on our part then. Also sleep on the coach as well.

Thanks for the info guys
We have always done a package as it is easier and unless you are going for a long time as cheap. I have checked Allura but never been able to get the prices to be better. Large component of the cost is the flight which the TO's get cheaper than we can get them if you book early enough. I do think this is one place that booking early is better - ideally before middle of Nov (opps missed that!) for discounts on spikes & rooms etc. Generally only go for 7days or 10 occasionally so TO have been ok. Do play them off against each other as they do like to beat each others prices if they can.
Also we prefer Air Canada flights because they get in earlier, used to be by many hours but it is not so much nowadays. Also don't forget to get a ski pass for the last day as you can ski for 4 hours or 5 if you get Freshtracks. The TO's do not offer this automatically; and you will be twiddling your thumbs in a ski resort for those missed hours.

We stop at the Delta and take a suite which has a full kitchen in it hence do breakfasts our selves. There are a lot of hotels in Whistler that are more like apartments though they call them hotels.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chrisrawles,

If there are a number of you, then getting a taxi from the airport to your accommodation in Whistler can be as (if not more) cost-effective than shuttle transfer:

I've used Whistler Taxi in the past, and they've been happy to accommodate a stop in Squamish on the way up to buy groceries. But like stuarth says,
Whistler is pretty civilised and there are no problems with getting supplies.

- I've never fancied driving up the Sea-to-Sky late at night after a nine-and-a-half hour flight, either.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
after the weekend skiing perfect groomers in the sun , the winter has returned to whistler , woke up this morning to 4" fresh snow across the whole mountain , just enough to soften the bumps and make the tree runs fun Very Happy expecting another 4-6" overnight , just perfect for my first outing with extremely canadian on a steep clinics , so hopefully the landings will be soft Toofy Grin then a lull before another storm due to come in at the weekend snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are several large supermarkets the one at market place is huge will have what you can possibly want
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dabber,
I'm envious reading that, last week when I was there, we were skiing on old butat least cold snow, dustings on Tuesday &Wednesday, with bumps around nearly every corner by Friday. A good week but not a great week. Whistler is a nice resort.
Enjoy!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are two flights into YVR each day from LHR and either of them gets you in a hire car to Whistler by midnight, and generally faster than the transfer buses. I like the earlier (AC) one because the beer's better and BA's call centre is in India which drives me nuts. That said, tourists don't need cars in Whistler and may even end up paying to park them.

The highway is just a highway, 95% of the time it's not an issue - you can check the highway cams and take a look yourself. You may be delayed following the plough or waiting for it to be cleared - these things are normal in the mountains in winter and affect transfer buses too (which I've seen in the ditch more than once, so do up your seatbelt..). Vancouver taxi drivers did not used to have winter wheels on their taxis, so you may want to be clear about that (they changed the law a couple of seasons back, so you can't drive that highway without M&S tyres now). The last taxi driver I had, had never been to Whistler before and apparently had never driven on snow.

chrisrawles wrote:
... Also sleep on the coach as well.

You will, but you'd be better off staying awake until it's time to crash out. Active jet lag management is the way to go, in my humble opinion. If you do use the transfer service then you need to book it in advance - you can buy tickets in the airport but sometimes it fills up.

Supermarket wise, well if you don't have a car then you're probably going to be using the place in the main village. These days they're all owned by the resort anyway. I would never bother stopping in Squamish to shop, although there's a great place for breakfast (waffles) there (can't remember the name).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig, Thanks for the info. Lots to consider so time to get the thinking cap on.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The last taxi driver I had, had never been to Whistler before and apparently had never driven on snow.

That's why I've used Whistler Taxi and not a Vancouver-based company.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dabber, fortunate enough to be arriving to whistler on 23 Jan. Any top tips for best runs, areas to concentrate on? Staying nearer to blackcomb lifts. Can't believe last lifts 15:00! Assume we need to get as high (altitude) as possible for then.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Should be good. Snow is coming in and should see hopefully a pattern of storm cycles the next two weeks.

@Snowsarte - Explore both mountains. Ski Harmony Bowl, Ski the Glacier and Peak Chairs. Drinks at the Dublinher (sp?) and Dusty's.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre,don't worry about lifts closing early , access from blackcomb is great and every day this week I've been skiing by 8.30 , i grab a coffee about 11.00 then I'm toast by 3.30PM then eat well at night , and repeat Happy

as @toadman says have a good look around both hills , the peak to peak gondola makes changing sides very easy , whistler locals offer tours every day to show folk around , but just depends on you level of ski/board as to whats best . had one of my best days on skis today , getting almost heli ski quality snow first tracks on some amazing steep runs , the temps have been perfect for dry cold snow , not quite "blower pow" but pretty good for lift accessed skiing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowsartre wrote:
@Dabber,Can't believe last lifts 15:00! Assume we need to get as high (altitude) as possible for then.

Big mountain to clear and it gets dark. That is why it is cheaper this time of year. Note there are some lifts that shut before that and there is no ski out from the bowls. There are large signs at the lifts.
snow report
@Jake43, the only bowl you can't ski out from is Symphony but you can ski out from Harmony Bowl (where the Horseshoes are), Whistler Bowl, West Bowl and Bagel Bowl. Very Happy

Of course, you can't ski out from Flute either as you're reliant on the Symphony chair to get you out.
latest report
@Dabber, sounds awesome!

@geetee, thanks for the advice.

Will also be colourful as pride stars next w/end wink
ski holidays
"Will also be colourful as pride stars next w/end wink"

@snowsartre , fake fur is the order of the day for the pride !!!!!!

back home now , but finished with a great afternoons skiing , still loads of nice cold fresh snow to be found in the shaded glade runs , snowing all the way down to brittinia bay on the way back to airport so next week should be amazing Happy
snow report
Whats Whistler doing snow wise?

We head out there in little over a month Very Happy
latest report
dave_wick wrote:
Whats Whistler doing snow wise?

We head out there in little over a month Very Happy

It's doing well snow wise. One look at their website will indicate that.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain-info/snow-report
snow conditions
Last two days have seen rain with a bit of snow higher up, skied some wet powder yesterday, nice snow on the tops today but vis none existent, rain at Village level now, but turning to snow later, if freezing point drops should be a great day tomorrow.

First time in Whistler and have to say it's pretty decent. Being guided around by my soon who is doing his second season here, he said today on the tops was the worst he's ever skied in!
snow report
Our friends are on their way there. Anyone have any reports of conditions? I undertook to enquire and report back......
latest report
Was pretty awesome last Saturday (except for a few lift hitches and huge line ups). But this week has been super toasty so no idea what it's like now.
snow conditions
I have a Skype session booked with Daughter in an hour(ish) I will get an update.
snow conditions
Ok so last Sat was superb deep powder as Stuarth said, but it got warmer during the week and some rain. However it has got colder and they are expecting snow every day next week too. Fingers crossed it still has freezing levels low enough down the hill.@lynnecha, Hope you friends have a great time few weeks before we set off yet.
ski holidays
@Jake43, @stuarth, thanks so much. I will pass it on. We have been in Whistler when it has been raining at the top, freezing solid, dropping 1mtr of snow and then bluebird skies, all in one fortnight!

Hope it doesn't get too warm and everyone has a great time.
ski holidays
We go most years and have never had rain on the mountain, though I have seen many reports of it on here. Just luck I guess. At least they have plenty of snow this year.
ski holidays
It’s now only 4 weeks until I'm on the Whistler slopes, woohoo!

Do people have any recommendations on the best/most useful weather sites for the area that I can keep an eye on? The tourist office reports seem to be a little more biased towards marketing that real facts Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fixx, there's a page on Facebook called something like Whistlers Unofficial Snow Report. I found that very useful last year. Snow-Forecast seems to me like it forecasts inaccurately compared to some European resorts. It always predicts big dumps then scales it back or moves the dump back. Whistler's own site also seemed to do this (marketing?).

You'll have a great time no matter what though.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
It’s now only 4 weeks until I'm on the Whistler slopes, woohoo!

Do people have any recommendations on the best/most useful weather sites for the area that I can keep an eye on? The tourist office reports seem to be a little more biased towards marketing that real facts Smile

bbc.co.uk/weather is very good.... strangely Shocked
http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/whistler/v0n/weather-forecast/53264
And their website is handy too, I do not find they lie, as it discusses the weather in the Alpine not just what is down in the village. Now they may fib about how much snow actually falls but that will be no surprise to anyone.
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain-info/snow-report

https://www.facebook.com/WhistlerSnowReport/

As shoofly said wsbr used to post an unofficial Whistler website as he was their but can't find it on a quick look so maybe they are not there anymore.

Sounds like we come back (18th) just as you are going so I can tell you what was under my feet as I leave if that helps.
ski holidays
@shoogly, @Jake43, thanks both!

I found the FB group – looks really good, with plenty of photos and videos (some really really stunning photos, why am I not there yet?!), and regular updates. Under “Whistler’s Unofficial Snow Report”. And I’ll keep an eye on those other sites too.

@Jake43, yes please, let me know what it’s actually like Smile

And yes, I’ll have a great holiday whatever happens – I can’t wait! Why is it still so far away, aaargh!!! Very Happy Fortunately I've got the Offpiste bash just before to keep me calm, but I'm way more excited about Whistler (don’t tell admin Wink ) snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
@fixx,

You'll be there at the same time as me, then. Where are you staying?

It's got to be better than last year!
ski holidays
@Acacia, excellent - let me know if you want to meet up for a sH ski.

I'm staying in a condo in Marketplace Lodge. Not the most central, but good enough for me Smile

Snow is still looking very good out there...
ski holidays
@fixx,

We're staying in the Glacier Lodge, at the base of Blackcomb. Very handy for direct access to the mountain.

A few turns sounds like a good idea: When do you arrive? Our first day will be Friday 18th March. If you're going to be online, then I can PM you when we get there. If you've not been before, I can show you around a bit.
snow conditions
Hi, group of 10 going to whistler 10 march, does anyone know how much more it costs to buy lift pass in resort rather than online. we have a couple who are unsure how long the want to ski for. Thanks.
snow report
@Acacia, I arrive on the 20th, so first ski day on Monday 21st. I'm thinking of the First Tracks pass that day while I'm still jetlagged Toofy Grin

I will be online while I'm there, and any showing around when you're free would be gratefully received!
ski holidays
@abuckingham, I think the price is the same. There are however ways of getting them discounted. Who are you staying with as they can sometimes get a discount (i.e. Allura) We always get ours before the price goes up in November, way ahead. Note they do ski 3 in 4 - i.e. ski any 3 of the 4 days.

I did see somewhere that you can buy them discounted at a Store in Sqarmish (town half way up the hill from the airport) but can't remember which as I was not interested. A search on the many Whistler topics on here may help you with that - it was recent (i.e. 2016)

You could buy the bulk of the tickets you want on-line then get the "unknowns" when you are up there. Peg the exchange rate as it does seem to be going south at the mo 6% down and counting from 2 weeks ago. Mind they may make their collective minds that we are going to stay in EU and it could come back again.
ski holidays
@abuckingham, I found this site, after a quick Google search, that could be worth looking at https://www.liftopia.com/product?product_id=5847&start_date=2016-03-10

Also this info pinched from a info website - its the 7-11 at Squarmish. "Buy in advance: Get a discount if you buy lift tickets in advance and as part of a hotel/lift package through Whistler-Blackcomb, Tourism Whistler or vacation-rental companies.

Ski a half-day: Ski from 12:30 p.m., and the standard adult price is $70.98, plus tax. The afternoon rate drops to $40.89 after Whistler closes.

Last minute tickets: Buy discounted tickets at the 7-Eleven convenience store in Squamish and get about $17 off a daily ticket. (Squamish is midway between Vancouver and Whistler.)"

We are there at the same time - maybe see you around. Snowheads sticker on my helmet.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info Jake43, i will do some research. i've spoken to the transfer company and theyve said we can stop in squamish on the way through.
i'll keep an eye out for you, where are you staying, we're in the Aava hotel.
snow conditions
@abuckingham, They normally do as a loo and coffee break if you want it. We are in the Delta.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy