Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Toadman wrote:
That photo is from Whistler HeliSki, so it's not reflective of the actual resort. It's probably taken from a spot a few dozen KM inland, and on some peak at 2,500 meters. ....
"Whistler Heli" is owned by the resort. Both they and Powder Mountain (the other heli operator, my mates) have tenures across the valley, towards the coast. Typically Powder Mountain (to the south; Whistler Heli is to the north) gets about 40% more precip than the resort, because the storms hit those ranges first.

As people are pointing out, the real issue is more the freezing level than the amount of stuff they can dig out of a glacier. If the top has been rained on it's "leg breaker". If that happens they will not be riding the snow, even if they fly you up there. You only need the top bit, but it has to be good. This season is looking better than last, but it all depends on what happens...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow to the bottom today (though didn't attempt to ski any of it low down!) Happy
Pretty decent amount of pow - though v.windy so limited lift opening = busy!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler Patrol will have its work cut out for it this week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Toadman wrote:
Whistler Patrol will have its work cut out for it this week.

And this week too snowHead Was pretty wild again up there yesterday
Nearly a 2m base already - that's pretty good going for mid-december
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks to BA releasing some avois seats to vancouver , have bagged a unexpected 8 days early season ski trip Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
out 7th - 15th jan if anyone around for a meet up
snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dabber wrote:
thanks to BA releasing some avois seats to vancouver , have bagged a unexpected 8 days early season ski trip Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
out 7th - 15th jan if anyone around for a meet up
snowHead

Yep, I'll be about snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stuarth, great stuff , just staying up in whistler this time so give me a shout when ur up and we'll get some turns in Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dabber wrote:
snowHead

Lucky you never so lucky here, they are a pain to get some seat. Tried to get one coming back in May and nothing at all for the whole month ! 2 months ago.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jake43, must admit only ever managed a couple of upgrades before , but these are a dream ,top floor both ways Toofy Grin , and free shuttle to and from manchester , along with my edge card discount and the current 2 for 1 exchange rate , its going to be a great trip , not to mention the 3 meters of snow so far Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flight on 23rd feb returning 2nd March are £460 return from gatwick with Canadian affair. Granted its not business or first class but its cheap and makes whistler affordable. Bags and skis/snowboards included.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dabber, "not to mention the 3 metres of snow so far"..........I fell for that one. The first year I went to Whistler they had had 4m by mid Dec when I arrived. But what I got was Spring skiing, with slush. Make sure you are on the first lift after any dumps, otherwise you will find it skied out by mid day (or earlier).

I hope you are lucky with the snow. I gave up after 4 years of disappointment in Whistler, and I'm going to try Japan in Feb.

Congrats on the Avios deal. I always found that with Avios that I would have to pay at least 40% of the ticket price in cash to cover the tax, even when using points.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PowderAdict wrote:
Make sure you are on the first lift after any dumps, otherwise you will find it skied out by mid day (or earlier).

...or know where you are going wink snowHead

Snow really is quite decent at the moment. That's not to say that some Pineapple express wont whip through, followed by a deep freeze and make it unskiable, but after last season, working on the get it whilst it's good principle snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dabber Based on how things are shaping up for the current 7 day forecast, Whistler should be absolutely amazing when you come. It has happened in past El Nino's that December comes in with a roar, and then come January a whimper. But this is not a typical El Nino cycle. There's a HP laying way out in the Pacific, but it is so far off the West Coast that storms aren't splitting when they do arrive and make landfall. Snow levels down to basically village level all week for Whistler. I will be up that way most likely end of January for a quick powder fix but I am really stoked for this next week for all the PNW ski areas are going to get 50CM-100CM's And it's dumping right now in the Cascades and Whistler! Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 17-12-15 23:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderAdict wrote:
@Dabber, "not to mention the 3 metres of snow so far"..........I fell for that one. The first year I went to Whistler they had had 4m by mid Dec when I arrived. But what I got was Spring skiing, with slush. Make sure you are on the first lift after any dumps, otherwise you will find it skied out by mid day (or earlier).

I hope you are lucky with the snow. I gave up after 4 years of disappointment in Whistler, and I'm going to try Japan in Feb.

Congrats on the Avios deal. I always found that with Avios that I would have to pay at least 40% of the ticket price in cash to cover the tax, even when using points.

always on the first lifts Very Happy then on with the skins and away , plenty of fresh tracks every day if you know where to look

enjoy japan , i loved it snowHead as a powder addict you'll get ur fill !!

avois usually only any good for upgrade but this time caught it right and taxes were only 15% of the whole ticket price Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PowderAdict wrote:
...Make sure you are on the first lift after any dumps, otherwise you will find it skied out by mid day (or earlier).....
Actually you need to ride coastal snow in the storm as it sets up quickly.

If you want to ride fresh tracks on piste days after a storm at a resort, then you probably want to go somewhere harder to get to from a major international airport and population centre. Or hook up with someone who knows their way around. If you want easy powder, then "family" places are best.

For the next 4 days the forecast is, in cm of fresh: 6/17/26/12, with respectable temps. So not too shabby.
ski holidays
@philwig, +1
snow report
okay, okay, okay, I've read enough. I want to go now... for this new years, rolling eyes

So if anyone has reasonable accommodation (i.e a house/apartment share, etc,etc ) I would be very, very, super keen to hear from you asap....

I'm tidy, will be skiing all day and know a few people who will be knocking around so you'll hardly know I was there.
looking to go to Whistler from around Dec 26th to Jan 9th.

thanks in advance,
Horgand
latest report
This from my mate, who doesn't ride the resort if there's no powder (and has one of the best sofas I know for surfing, but it's booked already):
"I’ve been riding every day for the last two weeks. 14 days straight. Today will be 15. Legs are tired but getting stronger....It’s snowing like crazy too."
ski holidays
@horgand, http://whistler.craigslist.ca/search/roo

good luck with search

snowHead
snow report
Today's snow report...
snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
three powder alerts in last four days and more to follow , have fun anyone whose out there , and save some for me Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Dabber wrote:
three powder alerts in last four days and more to follow , have fun anyone whose out there , and save some for me Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Tried to ski all the power and leave nothing, but still plenty to go round. wink Was pretty bad vis in the alpine today, so even last run was getting the goods!
Will try again tomorrow to make sure it gets used up snowHead
snow report
@stuarth, lucky "s Very Happy d" forecast look about perfect with snow till wednesday then a nice couple of clear sunny days over the festive period Cool then hopefully return to dumping , ready for my arrival when everone has gone back to work Toofy Grin
snow report
Yep it was pretty much perfect wink snowHead stopped for an early lunch whilst waiting for alpine to Crack. Life is hard! snowHead
ski holidays
Is today the 25th already? Was pretty much an early epic powder Christmas present snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Dabber wrote:
@horgand, http://whistler.craigslist.ca/search/roo

good luck with search

snowHead

Hi Dabber, (& fellow NY Whistlers'!)

I'm booked-- i couldn't let ye ride all that powder without me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for all your great info &links, I'm arriving into Whistler on the 26th, and I'm there til the 10th, I really can't wait now. Please let me buy you a beer for all your help.

Cheers
Horgand
ski holidays
Great news , have fun and will defo meet up on the hill , and in merlins snowHead
ski holidays
hi @horgand, I'm looking at trying to get out there myself sometime in jan, what sort of accommodation did you find? I'll be looking for somewhere for a somewhat aged solo skier
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Despite skiing a lovely fluffy line off flute today and a bunch more powder yesterday, I somehow managed to find a rock, so off to the ski shop for me for some ski base patching and ski tlc!
On that basis I will declare the conditions cr*ppy! wink
(Is also quite busy since the sun came out today)
ski holidays
@stuarth, seems like there's a big change in weather coming in next few days , sun and warmer temps , so will get busy over New Years period , then hopefully storms will return and crowds will get back to school/work , and we can look forward to some more "crappy days" Toofy Grin
snow report
Bah! Wanted the storms and the continual dumps. Now we're going to be there in bright sunshine!!! wink

Will be in Whistler 2nd till 9th. Maybe see you guys around!

I'm hoping there will still be some stashes somewhere but with freezing levels above top lift, probably not...

Oh for another dump whilst we're there.
snow report
Heading out to Whistler on Saturday 16th, how are the conditions currently looking?
ski holidays
It's been a way better start to the season than last season. We've already had over 5 metres of snow mid-mountain and more at the peak. This week we only have a few light top-ups forecast so hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the next big powder day.

Ideally we still need a little more snow to cover up the random stones/branches if you are off-piste (I hit a few recently in the tree runs), but on-piste it's pretty good all the way down to the village. Fingers crossed the season continues the way it has started Happy.
snow conditions
just leaving for airport Very Happy looking forward to a nice sunny weekends skiing then more snow later in the week Toofy Grin hope to catch up with @stuarth , @horgrand , and any oher SH's that are about for the the next 9 days snowHead
snow conditions
Hi all,

We are starting to look in to options of coming out to Whistler for a Ski trip. I was just wondering what the local facilities are like in terms of stocking up on food if we go self catering etc.
ski holidays
@Dabber,
little bit of snow this week to freshen things up after a sunny period and inversions. Should be up Saturday hopefully to check it out.
snow report
@chrisrawles,
Whistlers a proper town, though the supermarkets are smaller and a bit more expensive. If you are driving up you can stop at Save on Foods in Squamish which is cheaper.
Are there actually catered options in Whistler (if you don't count going out to bars/restaurants of which there are many)?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 7-01-16 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@stuarth, will be scouting about on black comb Saturday pm , will pm my mobile , give me a text if you get up snowHead
snow conditions
@stuarth, cool. As we have only just started looking at this I have only looked at the main tour operators to get an idea. It might turn out that we drive in which case stopping off on the way is what we will do.

Basically as long as there are places to stock up for a week or two trip then all good.
ski holidays
@chrisrawles,
Mostly you don't need to drive in Whistler.
The drive to Whistler can be tough - saw at least 3 cars in a ditch last when we were heading to/from whistler a few weeks ago. I drive it at least once a week in the winter and it is tiring; I wouldn't want to do it after a long flight
Also parking if you're in the village can be mega expensive
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy