Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Great day today. 7th under the lift was beautiful after lunch; just perfect. Tomorrow the snow comes...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The snow came yesterday and hasn't stopped since. It's snowing to village level now. I'm going to guesstimate 30cm ish from mid mountain up and more in drifts. Hurry up and open lifts! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah a great powdery start to the day today Madeye-Smiley
Bring on more snow...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's very wintert up top today!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keeps snowing, still skiing... snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stuarth, great end to a trying season for the resort. Despite the doom and gloom mid season, we had a blast... The skiing was phenomenal, as was the standard of skiing on show from the locals. Will try and post a few pics tomorrow. If this was how good whistler was in a bad year, i can't wait to return and ski it in a good year!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im going out for a season from November. This will be the 2nd time iv'e gone out in a El Nino year FFS

Fingers crossed for a better than predicted season
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcome to snowHead @Ex_ollie and fingers are crossed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NOAA's prediction is not looking good. http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/07/noaas-winter-weather-forecast-2016-strong-el-nino

Thanks @geetee. No matter where I go the poor snow year follows me. Looks like I'll be driving down to Cali quite a bit!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry for being completely dumb here but what does El Nino mean and what bearing will this have on Whislter?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dave_wick, its a band of warm water in the pacific ocean which has a big effect on the weather. I think El nino is the warming phase while La Nina is the cooling phase.

With the strong El Nino many forecasters are predicting a warmer than average and dryer than average winter for West Canada (where Whistler is). Although I did read a number of quotes from various websites suggesting that Whistler usually does alright in El Nino years due to its altitude.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's all I needed to hear having booked a trip Whiatler for Febuary.

Could my luck get any worse.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Russeh wrote:
@dave_wick, its a band of warm water in the pacific ocean which has a big effect on the weather. I think El nino is the warming phase while La Nina is the cooling phase.

With the strong El Nino many forecasters are predicting a warmer than average and dryer than average winter for West Canada (where Whistler is). Although I did read a number of quotes from various websites suggesting that Whistler usually does alright in El Nino years due to its altitude.

Whistler has a variable snow record, particularly at resort level. It's low and is relatively near the ocean.

The higher bowls are pretty snowsure though, particularly in February.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yeah I hear it gets a lot of rain at resort level due to its proximity to the ocean. I was all set to go next year but I've decided to stick to Europe this season
latest report
dave_wick wrote:

Dave - don't panic about it. They've had good and bad years with El Nino. Oh, and Whistler itself is potentially the best place on earth - even if you can't ski, you'll have an epic time and I'm envious!
snow report
@dave_wick, I would be seriously excited to be heading to Whistler (and I write this from Innsbruck). The conditions like anywhere else will be anything from poor to epic. Get excited!
snow conditions
Yep - Cheer up Dave.

Whistler is the best resort in the world.
snow report
Apart from Vail, of course..............

and Beaver Creek................

and Keystone.........

and the 3V///////// Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Too soon to fret about a ski vacation some 5 months off. El Nino's can be finicky thing here in the PNW. Last year was abysmal, and I believe it was just a weak El Nino season. Currently it is forecast to be the Godzilla of all El Nino's, so who knows what Godzilla's got in store for Whistler, North America this winter. Time will tell.
snow conditions
When should we see snow arriving?
snow report
dave_wick wrote:
When should we see snow arriving?

First snow in the Alpine usually start to come around very end of October first week of November. Some years Whistler opens up the Blackcomb glacier the last week of November.
snow conditions
Some snow forecast for my home mtn up coming this weekend. Won't stick around for long though with rising freezing levels for later in the week.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=46.93150988336929&lon=-121.48269653320312&site=sew&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en#.VjOPELerQdV

Whistler will get some too. Fluctuating freezing levels from 1,500 meters to 2,300 meters. But some nice wet, sticky snow for base building.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain-info/snow-report

Edit to add: In past El Nino's the tendency seems to be for early snow fall up until late December, and then the pipeline of cool moist air gets shut down, and the warm, dry, or warm and moist seems to be the norm. But, the caveat always has to be that no one can ever really forecast months in advance what the trend will be. One local mtn weather forecaster out here, Larry Schick seems to think that big blob of warm air is getting broken down that will remove the high pressure blocking trends that crushed the PNW last season, and gave us lots of dry and warm weather.
latest report
Already snow in Revelstoke Happy (guess where I'm going in Feb) snowHead

http://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/uploads/webcams/gnome.jpg
latest report
Just sent me an email that they are expecting 48" in the next few days. We will see.
latest report
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain-info/snow-report?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_content=opening-early&utm_term=11_12_2015&utm_campaign=wb-edge-fall-2015&spMailingID=23979108&spUserID=ODE2MzcyOTYxMzkS1&spJobID=681192820&spReportId=NjgxMTkyODIwS0#hours-operation
snow report
Nice, looking forward to it Smile
Just keeping an eye on the changing freezing levels to see if it will be snow or rain at mid-mountain when we open.
snow report
It's been dumping big time on highway 5 from Kamloops northwards. They're getting pounded.

Soon, people will be fretting about how to drive through it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:
It's been dumping big time on highway 5 from Kamloops northwards. They're getting pounded.

Soon, people will be fretting about how to drive through it.

Will just have to change my hire car plans for my early season drive to Revelstoke 😎
snow conditions
How guaranteed is early November snow to last the season in North America? We have enough recent experience in Europe of early snow either completely melting, or, worse, turning into faceted crystal and leading to major problems well into the real Winter
latest report
Got the usual email from Whistler. They are managing to open early on limited terrain but full opening 26th as plan due to the huge dump they have had and the colder temperatures.
ski holidays
The weather map is looking excellent today.

I'd not take a lot of notice of Whistler resort's PR machine. They can open pretty much any-time they like with all those canon, so long as it's cold enough high enough. Look at independent weather, ask people who are there, or look at the highway cameras. Their problem is the freezing level as someone pointed out. So compare (say) Garibaldi (just south of Whistler) with Blue River (north of Kamloops):
http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/index.html

... which may explain why although Whistler is good, other places may be better.

As far as snow pack... a little bit north and it tends to just build up, as it's cold enough. Whistler is coastal so it's a different deal, but most years anywhere high enough there it just piles up, although it consolidates much more than where it's lighter and drier, if you see what I mean. So Whistler snow you want to ride as it falls or soon after, before it's been rained on or had the top bit melted a bit (which makes it "upside down" snow - the top bit it heavier than the bottom bit).[/img]
ski holidays
Well, it looks like Whistler avoided most of the higher freezing level, or it was very short lived. The high winds, are another matter. But it looks like the forecast is calling for dry and cold temps next week. The Jet Stream is forecast to stay a bit further South, which means it is looking pretty d-a-m-n sweet for the WA Cascade range if the forecasted precip and cold temps hold going into the weekedn, and early next week.

The forecasted precip is somewhere in the neighborhood of a foot of water equivalent to fall from this past Wednesday into Sunday! Shocked
So above 7,000' that should all fall as snow, which depending on temps could be as much as 4 meters of snow! Sadly no ski area in WA has that kind of elevation.

As long as the cool moist air continues, things should be looking good for a nice Whistler opening in a few weeks. Might pull the trigger on a last minute deal if Whistler ends up getting hit again with a nice storm before Nov.26th.
snow conditions
A question for all those here more familiar with Whistler than me (i.e. not at all for me Smile ) – do late booking deals exist as such in Whistler, or am I better off booking now?

I'm looking at 2 weeks from the 20th March, and have found plenty of early booking offers finishing this weekend – would I miss out on any major savings if I went ahead and booked now rather than last minute?

Edit: just checked Easter dates, and I'm going for the 2 weeks with Easter in the middle, so I'm guessing that would constrain any late minute deals...?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 13-11-15 17:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:

The forecasted precip is somewhere in the neighborhood of a foot of water equivalent to fall from this past Wednesday into Sunday! Shocked

Felt like we got all of that foot (or 30cm as its known here wink ) last night! And its its still coming down!
snow report
fixx wrote:
A question for all those here more familiar with Whistler than me (i.e. not at all for me Smile ) – do late booking deals exist as such in Whistler, or am I better off booking now?

I'm looking at 2 weeks from the 20th March, and have found plenty of early booking offers finishing this weekend – would I miss out on any major savings if I went ahead and booked now rather than last minute?

Yes.
The last 2 Christmas's we've gone to whistler having booked only a few days before. Just check the Canadian and us spring break dates, as these are the busy times in march
snow conditions
@stuarth, thanks - just edited my first post as I looked at the Easter dates while you were typing I think Smile

I will be there over Easter (that's not why I'm going then, just an unfortunate coincidence) so I'm guessing that could make late deals a little tougher to find?
Edit: and I seem to be arriving as Spring break finishes - which is good!
snow conditions
fixxWe have been at Easter regularly over the years and found that it is not that busy then, as it is not a huge thing for that market as most of the people going are coming from USA. Unless it is US Spring break as Stuarth says above. Canadian schools are off when we are there, but even that is not that bad in the past. We are coming back as you are going! Obviously they do get a load of people coming up at the weekend - especially if the snow is good.

You do not say if you are doing it DIY. Because we want it sorting out we always do the early booking deals (i.e. now) they run out very soon can't remember exactly when in Nov. So if you push the TO's now you will get a good deal and a cheap lift pass. Then it is all sorted and you can look forward to it.

If you are diy then I would get the fights now and hold off for a late booking. You will always get something and it could be cheaper. But maybe not in a prime spot. If you are wanting a good "close to lifts" place then do it now. Allura is good for an apartment if that is what you have in mind, they also will do a cheaper deal on the lift pass too through them.

CAD Dollar is really cheap at the moment too so maybe just worth doing it and then you can just look forward to it without worrying.
ski holidays
Quote:

Might pull the trigger on a last minute deal if Whistler ends up getting hit again with a nice storm before Nov.26th.

Whistler is opening on Nov 19th now due to the early snow.

Quote:

Because we want it sorting out we always do the early booking deals (i.e. now) they run out very soon can't remember exactly when in Nov.

That finishes in 2 days on Nov 15th so better be quick.
latest report
@Jake43, ooops! Yes, DIY, as it's a solo trip.

And yep, a lot of early deals end this Sunday. There are quite a few offering discounted lift passes when booked with accomodation, so that's pretty tempting.

Either way I'll book the flights tomorrow - i can be flexible by a couple of days on those, but not much more.

I'll look again tomorrow at the accom options (yep, i found Allura mentioned on other threads here Smile ) and if I find something I like I might just go ahead and book now - gives me something to really look forward to and get excited about! Plus it's more important for me to be in the right location than save a bit of money - as long as it's not too much of a difference in the end Skullie

And good shout on the dollar - always a bonus!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy