Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
And the sun came out in the afternoon!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today was my last ski day in Whistler after 2 weeks. As mentioned there was great powder to be had first thing today (mixed with poor visibility), but since it was Saturday everyone was out and the majority of the powder was skied out by 10:00am, or within an hour of a lift opening. Thursday 19th was probably the best in bounds day of my stay.

I have now totaled 8 weeks in Whistler over 4 seasons, and have experience what I would consider to be one good week of conditions (Dec 2012). Whistler is a great place to be, but it is IMO an all or nothing resort for in bounds off-piste conditions. If there is a great base, low freezing point altitude and you are here when it snows heavily during the week, then perfect. Unfortunately, most of my experience has been the opposite.

Luckily this trip I spent most of my time out of bounds touring, or heli-skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sort of agree (having spent a _lot_ more than 8 weeks skiing whistler) there are other places in BC that I prefer for in-bounds pow/steeps/friendliness/etc
Guess wherever you go can be a bit of a lottery on a 1/2 weeks out of a year basis, however as an all-season, big-mountain, all-rounder Whistler is still hard to beat. It helps a lot if you know exactly when and where to ski (last Sunday was a good example)! - in the week rather than the weekend is definitely an advantage. This year is also something of an anomaly; normally you would not be anything like as restricted to the spots where you found powder today, so it'll get shredded extra super fast - the weekend schrelp train going to work on Whistler when the peak cracks is something to behold! Shocked

Was touring or heli-skiing at the moment all that lucky - thought that all winter spring was applying to more than just inbounds whistler? snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 22-03-15 6:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PowderAdict wrote:
Today was my last ski day in Whistler after 2 weeks. As mentioned there was great powder to be had first thing today (mixed with poor visibility), but since it was Saturday everyone was out and the majority of the powder was skied out by 10:00am, or within an hour of a lift opening. Thursday 19th was probably the best in bounds day of my stay.

I have now totaled 8 weeks in Whistler over 4 seasons, and have experience what I would consider to be one good week of conditions (Dec 2012). Whistler is a great place to be, but it is IMO an all or nothing resort for in bounds off-piste conditions. If there is a great base, low freezing point altitude and you are here when it snows heavily during the week, then perfect. Unfortunately, most of my experience has been the opposite.

Luckily this trip I spent most of my time out of bounds touring, or heli-skiing.

With so many great places to visit, may I ask why you've returned when you haven't had the best conditons?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
local knowledge is the key to whistler , was out this time last year with my son whod just spent twelve weeks there and we were finding fresh tracks all day after a storm, this years high freezing levels have been the problem , certainly no lack of snow in the alpine backcountry, some spots had more then ive seen before , but in bounds has been a challange , whistler as a whole seems to attract loads of critism , but the same can be said of all the big megga resorts around the world , but i think whistler did an amazing job this year of keeping the hill open in pretty hard conditions .
but agree with @mike pow if id had 7 bad weeks out of eight i think id try something new , my experience is the opposite been five times and only had two really bad days in total .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mike Pow, I have to say I am asking myself the same question. I was very close to cancelling this year, but thought I would give Whistler one more chance.

I suspect that my standards/requirements/expectations are too high. When I say "One good week", I mean spectacular knee/waist deep powder, not that the resort was closed, or the pistes were un-skiable.

You also need to factor in that I have extensive airline and hotel points, so I fly at a discount and stay for free in Whistler Very Happy

@Dabber, As you mention is has been the freezing levels that is the main issue, as precipitation levels have been very high, it is just that the majority fell as rain. It has not just been Whistler but the whole of the Western region, with most resorts having 50-60% of average snow fall.

Maybe its time for Alaska or Japan.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PowderAdict, you fly for cheap?
You stay for free?

.....and you are asking if it is maybe time for Japan?

You urgently need to check out the Mike Pow thread in this section!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PowderAdict wrote:
@Mike Pow, I have to say I am asking myself the same question. I was very close to cancelling this year, but thought I would give Whistler one more chance.

I suspect that my standards/requirements/expectations are too high. When I say "One good week", I mean spectacular knee/waist deep powder, not that the resort was closed, or the pistes were un-skiable.

You also need to factor in that I have extensive airline and hotel points, so I fly at a discount and stay for free in Whistler Very Happy

@Dabber, As you mention is has been the freezing levels that is the main issue, as precipitation levels have been very high, it is just that the majority fell as rain. It has not just been Whistler but the whole of the Western region, with most resorts having 50-60% of average snow fall.

Maybe its time for Alaska or Japan.

Can't argue with that Smile

Skied with three Whistlerites earlier this month. The terrain in this part of Hokkaido doesn't compare with that of WB but they were more than happy with the snow conditions - and it was low tide when they were here Wink

http://www.neverstopsnowing.com/blog/skiing-in-japan-the-niseko-area/

A week later it was back to this Smile

http://youtube.com/v/jePlfGa87Vo
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone who's been out there for the winter able to comment on how stable the snowpack is?

From what I've heard the issue this winter has been high temps rather than a lack of precipitation. If (as sometimes happens in late March/early April) they get a big storm blowing in in the next 2-3 weeks, I wonder how long it will take to stabilise.

Given the conditions, I'd assume that the bumps on Blackcomb are in pretty good shape and nice to ski on in the afternoons - I'm thinking under Excelerator, where the Crystal Ridge chair used to be, and under the lower half of 7th Heaven. Any views?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@greg66, the bumps under 7th heaven were good fun in the new snow last week , and as long as the temp stay around freezing should be good , out of bounds avi risk was high on steep slopes with snow on top of weak frozen layer , but plenty of safe mellow aspects to be found snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool. You can expect it to dump like crazy something around the 3rd. We get there on the 4th, so I'm confident it will.

Why?

Because during the Pineapple Express season a few years ago, we turned up the night that winter returned at the end of March. It dumped, and dumped, and dumped - powder on the balcony on the first morning had the kids wild with excitement.

Mark my words - it's comin'!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
greg66 wrote:

Mark my words - it's comin'!

Well it's going to be 18C here this week, so hope there is some sharp weather front temperature difference or something or other somewhere around Squamish! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, yesterday we mainly skied around the Saddle then Whistler Bowl (interesting entrance!). West Bowl was good but heavy at the bottom. Today we skied with the Camp and Acacia and had a great day mostly around Harmony. We worked on mainly on bumps technique. They reckoned we had about 6cm overnight and tonight they're forecasting 12cm. Crossing fingers that the temps stay low! Very tired now!! 😴
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geetee wrote:
Whistler Bowl (interesting entrance!).

More so that normal? Some years the first couple of bumps get so big it's more like skiing down a steep alleyway. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@greg66,true, the main entrance is often like that but there's a more sedate side entrance that isn't so sedate this year. Saying that there was a line somewhere in the middle where I could slide in with not too much angst.
latest report
Recently I've been using the entrance round the side (skier's left from the main entrance) where you drop down a couple of metres off a small cornice but you have to make a turn straight away round a bump at the bottom before you're in.
latest report
I think the western side of North America has been hit by climate change more than most.You only have to look at Tahoe. Whistler was always a risk being so low and so close to the Pacific. Shame as the mountains and lift system are second to none.
snow conditions
I think the western side of North America has been hit by climate change more than most.You only have to look at Tahoe. Whistler was always a risk being so low and so close to the Pacific. Shame as the mountains and lift system are second to none.
snow conditions
How's the latest snow and then following high temps affecting things? Forecast looks great for mid mountain up for the next week or so.
snow conditions
@greg66,

You won't want to ski down the Excelerator liftline: everything below the midstation is very sketchy.

This year, Whistler is suffering: I now know what this place must look like in summer - there was a deer grazing on the snowless trail under the Wizard chair on Blackcomb this morning, and in the village the daffodils are further advanced than mine, back in Yorkshire: I even saw a tulip pushing through today.

@cameronphillips2000,
"Climate change" is the stick used to beat all unseasonably warm weather. This year's conditions are more likely a more localised phenomenon, and can be ascribed to a strong El Nino phenomenon.
latest report
@shoogly,

As usual it's the upper slopes where the better skiing is.
Today the upper alpine lifts were closed (apparently they will also be closed tomorrow) due to avalanche risk.

First thing this morning the snow was slightly soft at the Roundhouse level then got a bit slushy as the day went on. Lower down had very slushy bumps and the ski out to the village is looking much browner than usual so better to download from Olympic-station to save your ski bases.

Looks like tomorrow will be rainy all over the mountain but the following days look much better at least higher up.
ski holidays
Acacia wrote:
"Climate change" is the stick used to beat all unseasonably warm weather. This year's conditions are more likely a more localised phenomenon, and can be ascribed to a strong El Nino phenomenon.

Well, general opinion amongst climate scientists is that what is happing this winter in werstern US is not an incident, but a trend shift.

Read this article on Arc Technica, scientific research finds strong statistic evidence
http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/03/californias-hot-dry-winters-tied-to-climate-change/

And this article from National Geographic, predicting what is going to happen to the southwest of the US
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/02/150212-megadrought-southwest-water-climate-environment/

To summarize
- both dry winters and warm winters have always occurred
- the combination of the 2 is exceptional from a historical perspective, but is now becoming a pattern
- this is not only worrisome for ski areas, but will lead to serious water shortage issues
- the pattern shift is supported by numerous studies
snow conditions
Onnem wrote:
Acacia wrote:

Well, general opinion amongst climate scientists is that what is happing this winter in werstern US is not an incident, but a trend shift.

Read this article on Arc Technica, scientific research finds strong statistic evidence
http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/03/californias-hot-dry-winters-tied-to-climate-change/

And this article from National Geographic, predicting what is going to happen to the southwest of the US
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/02/150212-megadrought-southwest-water-climate-environment/

To summarize
- the combination of the 2 is exceptional from a historical perspective, but is now becoming a pattern
- this is not only worrisome for ski areas, but will lead to serious water shortage issues

Really? Somewhere at home I have snowfall stats for Whistler going back over 30 years. IIRC this year is basically an outlier, whether looked at over the last 5, 10, 20 or 30.

And the locals tell me that this year the problem has been temps, not precipitation.

But in any event, BC is not SoCal or the US SW.
snow report
Acacia wrote:
@greg66,

You won't want to ski down the Excelerator liftline: everything below the midstation is very sketchy.

This year, Whistler is suffering: I now know what this place must look like in summer - there was a deer grazing on the snowless trail under the Wizard chair on Blackcomb this morning, and in the village the daffodils are further advanced than mine, back in Yorkshire: I even saw a tulip pushing through today.

Good info - thanks.

We've been going there for > 20 years now, end of season usually. The only year I can remember when conditions were as you're describing was the first year - 1991, I think. Took a turn off the main run out to Blackcomb and ended up having to take my skis off and walk for a while. Quite a while. Plenty of dl'ing from the mid station on W as well, even on cheap rental skis.

However, soft bumps on Blackcomb in the afternoon made up for it, even if you did hear the occasional "crunch" as you found a rock in the line between them...
ski holidays
Onnem wrote:

To summarize

This winter has not been particularly dry, apart from a few spells earlier in the year, but that is not unusual, it has just been very warm.
Water shortage and increased fire risk are however possible issues here because Metro Vancouver relies on the snowpack of which there isn't a right lot.
snow conditions
Was in Whistler in April 2010 and April 2013 and both years could ski to base for the duration of our holiday and had mounds of fresh powder during the stay. I did notice the scientists mentioning a change from La Nina to El Nino a year or two back meaning a likely change in weather which appears to have been bourne out this year. Similar change in weather in UK over the last year or two.
snow conditions
@stuarth, was in north van a couple of weeks ago when they were on course for the driest march on record , but that changed over a 6 hr period when we saw nearly 50mm of rain , our creek went from a trickle to a raging torrent in no time , but folk are definatly worried about the fire/drought risk this summer already Shocked
snow conditions
This season was a curate's egg for this end of the Americas, let's be honest.

Still, at least my family season passes for next year at Mount Seymour will have a $950 discount, due to the hill only actually being even partially open for about 12 days this year. Every silver lining has a cloud, as they say.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Onnem,

Don't get me wrong: I'm not a climate change denier! - I just think that "climate change" is a sloppy journalistic shorthand all too frequently used to explain anomalously warm weather conditions.

- Like today actually! Warm, sunny and very soft snow. The top lifts on both Blackcomb and Whistler WERE open, though Very Happy

Ironically I keep running into folk from Eastern Canada and New England who tell us how cold it's been (and still is) back home.
ski holidays
Powder at last!
Wahoo! snowHead
snow conditions
Indeed it felt like mid-Winter yesterday when it was snowing all day.Very Happy
Ended up with some fun runs off the Glacier chair in Blackcomb.
snow report
Well yesterday was a day that I'll remember for a long time!! Sometimes you get lucky snowHead The snow was great, the temps stayed lower and we did laps on Harmony. Today was mostly sunny with a couple of laps of Whistler Bowl into Frog Hollow. Also skied Surprise which was surprisingly good.
snow report
Acacia wrote:
@Onnem,

Don't get me wrong: I'm not a climate change denier! - I just think that "climate change" is a sloppy journalistic shorthand all too frequently used to explain anomalously warm weather conditions.

- Like today actually! Warm, sunny and very soft snow. The top lifts on both Blackcomb and Whistler WERE open, though Very Happy

Ironically I keep running into folk from Eastern Canada and New England who tell us how cold it's been (and still is) back home.

Yep, it's an El Nino year and there is a strong statistical correlation between warmer (not necessarily dryer) winters in the Pacific Northwest and El Nino's. Not always, but the chances are higher. The last bad year in that region 10 years ago was a strong El Nino. There was one in 2009-ish but the effects on temps were minimal and hence the most ski areas didn't suffer like this year. And in between, Whistler has had some seriously above average snowfalls.

And there's certainly no sign of global warming in the East this year - I can attest first hand to that. The skiing has been great. I'm sure climate change is happening but one warm winter - seemingly a once a decade event - isn't a particularly strong signal. Hopefully next year will be epic as we're moving to Seattle Wink
ski holidays
@geetee,

Yeah, Tuesday & Wednesday (our last day) were really good, with the freezing level a lot lower. Really deep snow in Harmony, off Kaleidoscope, and on Wednesday some great conditions on Blackcomb, finishing off with some great runs 7th Heaven (Xhiggy's meadow & Lakeside Bowl).

Got back home last night, and found my daffodils nowhere near as advanced as those in Whistler!
latest report
Great first days skiing today. Fresh snow all last night made for a freshies morning on Blackcomb. 7th heaven was brilliant, but best snow we found was off spankys.

Yep, the lower mountain is mud, rocks and grass, but there's a phenomenal amount of terrain up in the alpine with good snow in abundance. Bring on the next 12 days Very Happy
snow conditions
Now two days in. Conditions are like nothing I've ever seen in 20+ years. The alpine is mostly in good shape. There are some patches that are barer than they would be at this stage of the season, but mostly it is like any other year up top.

The lower slopes are gone though. On Blackcomb below Excelerator there looks to be a thin snake of brown snow that will get you to the Excalibur mid station. And that's it. On Whistler it's sketchy over the 200m or so of vertical above the mid station, and unless you're on someone else's skis and you don't like them, that's as far as you want to go.

In between is a curate's egg, although to be fair there's a lot more good than just "in parts".

It really does reflect very well what's happened this winter: precipitation levels are fine, but some joker moved the average freezing level about 800m-1000m up from where it would normally be.
ski holidays
Anyone know of a decent camera sales shop in whistler? Want to buy a nikon aw130 but the only shop i've found doesn't sell much.
ski holidays
Pretty sure you're out of luck so far as shops in Whistler go. Options are drive down to Futureshop in Van, or order via Amazon with rapid delivery to where you're staying.
ski holidays
@shoogly, There are no decent camera stores in Whistler. I usually order electronics on-line.

The nearest place where you could get that camera is London Drugs in Squamish which is still around 35 miles away but closer than going all the way to Vancouver.
http://www.londondrugs.com/Nikon-Coolpix-AW130/M0004243,default,pd.html

Apart from that I guess online is the only other easy way as greg66 suggested.
latest report
@born2ski, thanks for the info. I have a morning off skiing so will take the drive down Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy