Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best sunglasses for very light sensitive eyes?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've recently had laser eye surgery and have very, very light sensitive eyes. Any glasses recommendations, please? I'm concerned tbh as I struggle on a bright day anyway, even without the glare from the snow!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll still get light coming in from around the frames so just wear goggles. All the top brands have quality lenses with full UV filtering & numerous light level/colour tint transmission options, although personally I don't thick you can beat Oakley lenses for optical quality.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If glare is a problem, try polarised lenses. AFAIK goggle tints are lighter than sunglasses so you could try some wraparound model (I'm using the Nike Expert polarised and like them alot, after years of using OAkleys)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sunglasses have 4 classes, class 4 such as Vuarnet skilynx lenses you're not even supposed to drive with as they're dark enough to obscure traffic lights. And are also a top lens.

So, find something class 4.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at Julbo Bivouak with a Cameleon lense
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You really have to try glasses on - with the headgear you intend to ski in. Category 4 should give you enough protection provided that they fit your head well (no big gaps for sun to get in ...). Recommendations of brands and models are really pretty useless as they may not fit your particular head shape - good luck in finding some!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Polarised.

My eyes are normally sensitive to glare; I have glasses that I only really use for driving at night, they have some anti-glare coating on them.

When I moved to Portugal I decided I could cough up for some super duper sunglasses. Normally I squint a bit in the sun. Found a test that said Oakley were the best, found their chart which says about classes of light filter and how much % light they let through, and went out and bought the most 'blocking'. This was in London as I had a voucher.

Took them to Portugal, went out on a sunny day, and was still squinting behind the glasses. rolling eyes Puzzled

In short, took them back to the shop on my next trip to London and swapped them for Oakley polarised. I don't remember which exactly, but they certainly let through a lot more light on the chart - but now I don't squint any more. As for choosing Oakley, it is stated/asserted that all their lenses and the lenses of most other big fashion brands all come from the same place (owned by one massive conglomerate, Luxottica) so I really couldn't say whether they are better.

Try some decent polarised. They have a slightly odd effect when driving (you'll see patterns in the windscreen and you can't read a digital clock) but they should solve your problem.

I also like those with sprung arms as they are less likely to fall off when moving the head quickly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Noo72, sunglasses are generally darker than goggles and also allow less light in, so when conditions permit I'd suggest padded sunglasses like these to block light from around the edges too. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birdz-Thrasher-Convertible-Padded-Sunglasses/dp/B00C2IK7RE/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1422809732&sr=8-30&keywords=Padded+ski+glasses&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gosh, thanks everyone. such a load of advice! I looked at the thread update when i was in town and on the basis of that advice, bought a pair of class 4 glasses from snow and rock (thanks for that tip, underanewname). they weren't expensive but the assistant said that polarised don't necessarily let in less light so i didn't fork out for those. The (skinner) glasses that I bought enabled me the look directly at the in store lights which were seriously bright! i like the idea of the padded glasses, actually. and they're not too expensive. I'm reluctant to spend a fortune as i might well have the experience orange had! i'd rather have two or 3 cheaper options that i can compare.

i'm also happy to invest in a pair of interchangeable lens goggles in resort if i feel that my current goggle selection is no longer suitable.

thanks all!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Noo72, Padded glasses may not do quite the same job as goggles on a rubbish day, but the padding not only keeps out the light but also stops the cold wind making your eyes stream. Well worth having a pair. No idea if the ones I linked to are any good as they looks suspiciously cheap, but you can certainly get a decent pair in-resort for €40 or so.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about getting some goggles suitable for use with glasses and wear both if you buy goggles with replacement lenses you can have different tints allowing you to change how much light get to your eyes.

Use either normal sungalsses or reactolite sunglasses with the goggles.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vuarnets, love them, especially the yellow-green tints for skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Vuarnet cat 4 lenses for people with very light sensitive eyes!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Something like this maybe

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Could be worth checking out the adidas Tycane Pro Outdoor , with space lens which is adidas's darkest lens (Cat4) great for snow but could be a bit dark else wear, but other lenses are available.

A great wrapped frame, removable headstrap and eyegasket if required.
ski holidays
These are Julbo (some good offers around on them at the moment), but I've got some Bloc that are very similar. The leather patcches are great for sensitive eyes.

latest report
I have incipient cataracts and my opthalmologist has recommended wrap-around polarised Ray-Bans with UV and non-reflective coatings on both sides, to ensure that there are no lateral or internal reflections. This makes the lenses expensive. I recommend you talk to a qualified opthalmologist (not optometrist) about what's best for you. There is the issue that simply reducing light levels will open the iris, which may not be desirable, as it lets in destructive UV etc.
latest report
Oakleys (the street models not the piste/track models) are not necessarily wrap around but they are curved to fit the face, it is true that that way you don't get internal reflections. Also means they don't slip into a flat pocket easily!

I checked: mine are Nanowire 4.0. Got them a few years ago now so they're "old" - ain't we all Smile
http://www.designervillage.com/eyewear-c1/oakley-mens-nanowire-4-0-sunglasses-12-913-p188
snow report
I've got Adidas evil eye, available with the space lens which is very dark! Also not much light come around the sides.
snow conditions
Another vote for vuarnet. But so hard to find them except on line imported from France.

Oakley's are OK and very impact resistant, but to get them dark you have to go iridium coated and polarised, the plastic lenses are easily scratched and that irridium coating is SO easily damaged.

The vuarnets are coated on the inside which is so much better.

Shall look out for skinners.

PS: had six stitches in my face from a ski crash when wearing glasses. Always wear goggles now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy