Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski boot for size 26.5 12 year old - junior or mens?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Biggest son (12 year old - 5ft 2" - 7st 10lb) has rapidly grown over the last month & needs new ski boots
We've been to 2 shops today - both said he needs a size 26.5
One said he should stick to a junior boot - junior last - 65 flex
The other said he should buy a mens boot - medium last - 70 flex
The mens seem heavy to me especially for a 12 year old - while the junior seems narrow
Anybody had the same problem?
I don't get much feedback from him so some advice please on the best way forward
(NB he's been skiing since he was 5 & can get around most of the mountain)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Has he always had his own boots? Most kids I know hire until their feet stop growing. CEM at Solutions4Feet will know the answer tho.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My son had head raptor 70 boots last year in 26.5 and was 14. Spoke to head rep in ski show a few weeks after buying and said junior need junior boots to suit calf size and calf length. He's now had to have adult boots in 28.5. He really liked the head raptors and had used them a few weeks last year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Waffle wrote:
Most kids I know hire until their feet stop growing. =

That is a bit of a sweeping statement. My 7 year old has been skiing for 2 years and has had his own boots since just after his first lesson. He skis frequently at our local dry slope and also at Braehead. I've done quite well buying and selling on ebay. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gaza, Just the kids I know Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember having that problem with my son. Having seen kids trying to make adult gear work, I'd stick to a kid's boot. Your son is still considerably smaller than a man, and won't have the mass or leg length of a man, so putting him in a man's boot is going to make life hard for him. By the time he's big enough for the kid's boot to be too soft his feet will have grown too, so they won't fit him any more anyway! And that'll probably be next year wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a backwards way of answering the question, CEM has recently fitted me with some "youth" boots. Suffice it to say that I do not fit the usual definition of youth wink
So I suppose that suitability must be around weight etc, not just what the manufacturers call the boot. They're much stiffer than 60 or 70 too; 110 if I remember correctly, so 60 is certainly not the stiffness limit for junior boots.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My 7 year old - 137cm (4' 6") and 5st 5lb) - has started doing some basic race training so we got him fitted with a decent pair of boots this year rather than acquiring a pair from ebay. We tried a number of different boots but he felt most comfortable in these:-

http://www.rossignol.com/GB/GB/hero-jr-65--2014--RBD9090--product--alpine-boys-boots.html

Going from a 3 clip to a 4 clip seemed to make a big difference to him.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely go for junior boot as the adult boots are very likely to be heavier, harder to flex and not fit a junior foot/leg correctly. 'Too much boot' is the technical description...

You will get different fits for different makes - my son has Head boots and average width feet. My daughter has Lange which fit her narrower feet much better. Choose the fit, not the manufacturer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy