Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar

Poster: A snowHead
My experience was pretty good, I can see why its a popular option but its not without pitfalls though.

I was fortunate to live in a town served by the East Coast line so it took 2 and a half hours to get to Kings Cross and it was not even 10 minutes from getting off the train that I entered St Pancras station. I have to admit I was a bit like a deer in headlights as St Pancras is an amazing sight to see the first time you ever been there! I felt like a complete tourist taking pictures of the place and the kissing couple statue is huge! Shocked

I did arrive over 2 hours early and when your on your own carrying luggage and a pair of skis, I was conscious of making myself a target, so I left my skis and case at left luggage, this cost £12. If I was in a group or with someone I would not have bothered to do this. If I was to use the Eurostar again I would consider renting skis rather bringing my own and I would aim to arrive to St Pancras for 6pm.

The train ride itself both times went well (Apart from the possibility that the way back might not have happened due to the fire scare) but as many have said don't expect to get much sleep on the outward journey, I think excitement plays a part but unfortunately 3 lads on my coach decided to drink all the way into the early hours, they were loud and one of them was sick close by to where the luggage was stored, thankfully not on top of any cases or ski bags!! The way back was more subdued and I did manage to get enough sleep that I wasn't nodding off on my train back home from Kings Cross.

Would I do it again? Certainly, in fact if I lived in the South I would use it every time due to it being only 30 minutes to an hour to get to the resorts from the French Alp stations, however, due to living in the North it has to be said flights are much more convenient for most.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RichardB, where did you go to - Bourg? What time Eurostar train did you get and (where) did you change? I've been tempted to do it for a few years but never actually done it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@doorman_tom, i think from his post, @RichardB took the overnight straight-through eurostar that goes all the way to Bourg, so his only change was at Kings Cross/St Pancras. Not sure if he went all the way to Bourg.

There are other far more comfortable (and often cheaper) ways of getting to the alps by train.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I'm definitely going to be packing earplugs when I go (mid March), although not sure how effective they'll be against a bunch of drunks right next to you!! It's a shame it can't be better "policed" (or whatever people on trains do) or at least have dedicated quiet carriages so passengers can feel more justified in turning en-masse onto people being annoying!

Thanks for the review! I'm definitely going to rent - can't stand the thought of dragging the skis all the way there and back just to save a day's rental and you've just confirmed my decision even more!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sparklies, I just politely asked the students partying next to us to take it to the bar once it got past midnight. They sheepishly sloped off and all was quiet Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cool! That's reassuring to hear it works with at least some people anyway.. and that's a good point that there is a bar. No excuse for it really.

I'm going to be going with my 8 year old daughter (mother-daughter adventure!) so if nothing else her being there might add a bit of weight to the whole make them feel guilty thing too! She can sleep through anything though, it's me with the problem!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonpim, I wasn't aware that you could go all the way through to Bourg on Eurostar, but I haven't actually looked into it.

Do you mean the snow train? I've heard that the couchettes are less comfortable than sitting upright in the seats.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@doorman_tom, I don't think the snow train runs anymore (though I'd be happy to be corrected). That was a french sleeper that ran direct from Gare du Nord, and was mainly full of brits. The alternative is to jump on the metro down to Gare d'Austerlitz and get on the regular french sleeper services. Having tried the euro* and the sleeper, I'd never even look at the euro* all the way - it was noisy and uncomfortable, and I'd much rather get 8 hours lying down. Horses for courses though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ChrisWo, @doorman_tom, it may not be the snow train but I've just booked are the overnight couchette trains which run from Paris Gare d'Austerlitz to Moutiers. Reviews suggest it is much, much better than the Eurostar all the way down because you have a bed, albeit not the most comfortable one, for the seven-hour journey down. It lands you in resort for 7 a.m. having had a night's sleep.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Moutiers as I was staying in La Tania and l was on the direct overnight Eurostar, I would have considered the couchette option if it wasn't for the fact that I have never done the train until now and I was on my own.

My reasons for using it was the extra 2 days skiing, which was appreciated, and simply wanting to try something new. I enjoyed it, it had a few small issues but which form of travel doesn't?

The 3 lads in question were on the same coach as I was on the way back and they did apologise for their behaviour.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Astraeus, @ChrisWo, we have done daytime Eurostar a number of times and also the overnight from st Pancras in the only slightly reclining seats. In general we prefer it over flying. I'm interested in what you booked as it has to be said the sleep quality is variable when using the regular seats.

have you actually experienced the French sleeper trains yet? I was wondering what'the luggage storage space is like on the overnight sleepers? is there enough and where is it in relation to your "cabin"? Also did you go in a 4 or 6 berth cabin?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andy1234, the line through Moutiers down to Bourg, despite being single track between stations, is a busy line. Much like the line up to Aviemore after Perth.
There are over 20 trains a day from various places. From Paris there are about 6 trains during the week, most involving a change at Chambery. At weekends there are a couple more direct trains.
If you book early there is not much difference in price between first class and second class (unlike the Eurostar). I usually take the day train out of Gare Lyon and use the time on the train to work - have computer, can do work.
The night train out of Austerlitz is bearable second class (6 berths in each compartment), while first class is quite pleasant: much more comfortable and quiet. When i came out 10 days ago there were only 3 of us in the compartment, and as the train drew out of Austerlitz we turned to each other and agreed the lights should go out. I was soon asleep, and the next thing i knew we were at Albertville and it was 6.30am.

I tried the overnight Eurostar once some years ago. Never again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm sat on Eurostar right now having travelled overnight from Bourg to Paris in a couchette. I'd recommend it especially if travelling alone or just a couple (as a family we find it cheaper to drive).
Skied all day in Val D'isere yesterday, down to Bourg for some supper then onto 8.25 train. Sleep is a bit intermittent but at least you are lying down and it's dark. The change is pretty easy in Paris as its one Metro line direct.
Living in the south I'd certainly do it again when on my own. It does seem a pity that they never extended the Eurostar further north.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philipb wrote:
It does seem a pity that they never extended the Eurostar further north.

If I recall correctly it was suppose to start in Edinburgh? & use the East coats line directly into Europe Puzzled But it was just a Politicians talk so didn't happen wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It isn't too difficult even coming down from the north. Sheffield to St Pancras is done in a little over two hours and the change at St Pancras is a doddle, making the entire trip relatively pain-free.
snow report
I got such a good deal on the Eurostar (£179 each) for premier seats for my daughter and me otherwise I'd definitely have looked at the change-in-Paris option. Now of course you'll all tell me that it's even cheaper and I'll cry!!

We have to take the Eurostar at New Year for the whole family (four young children) on our way to Tignes as a) it's part of the Crystal package although admittedly we could have arranged our own transport and b) With all our luggage and children it's far easier to not have any changes. It's going to be horrendous I am quite sure, but we do get eight days skiing so..
latest report
@sparklies, I don't know that my own experience is that it is much less expensive.

The whole journey of Sheffield to London, London to Paris, Paris metro, Paris to Moutiers has cost us £210 per person. This was booked with the cheapest tickets going on all legs but included a 10% premium as booked through an agent.
snow report
@Astraeus, £210? Was that return?
Cheapest Eurostar ticket is £35 (second class), and first class to Bourg on night train in couchette is £54 - sometimes less (day train is always less). Would be less still second class all the way.
ski holidays
Ok - so I am going to out myself as a train geek now. There was indeed a plan for regional Eurostars, direct trains to the continent from Leeds, Manchester and Scotland. Unfortunately after years of development the project was quietly shelved. Trains were actually built (basically shortened Eurostars) and for many years GNER ran them from Yorkshire to London. Unfortunately there were technical teething issues (compatibility with signalling etc - the trains have to run on ex-BR, HS1, Eurotunnel, SNCF and Belgium railways which makes them rather complex). These could have been overcome but the political will wasn't there. I suspect the low cost fight revolution happend about the same time so reducing demand.

The real white elephant was the planned sleeper service from the West Country, Wales and Scotland to Europe. Locos and trains were built and scrapped without ever being used.
So there's no reason why you couldn't get a through train from, say, Manchester to Bourg except the political will wasn't there.
latest report
@Jonpim, yes return. Sheffield to London was £34, London to Paris was £69, Paris metro was €4, Paris to Moutiers was €85. There is then the 10% surcharge. And I'd forgotten to mention my original calculation also included €12 for the bus up to Meribel from Moutiers.
latest report
@Jonpim, is that the return price? Pretty impressive if so!

I think Lastminute still do the regular seats for £109 return on the Eurostar.
snow report
Never done the Friday overnight Eurostar but done the Saturday day train - all very civilised with people sipping wine and enjoying picknicks. Sure you don't get to ski on the Saturday but that's no different to flying so not really loosing out vs flying.

Only thing to note is that a glass of wine will NOT stay on the little table when you get to the twisty bits... Thankfully that appartment had a washing machine.
ski holidays
Yep, I wouldn't mind the day train without children at all.. it would be bliss in fact! Read a nice book, look at the scenery, have wine and nibbles! The only reason we're not doing it is the horrific thought of trying to keep all four young children happy and not disturbing others for that amount of time in an enclosed space and nowhere to jump up and down. I'd need a week to recover from the stress!!

Having them zonked out in their seats for at least half of it if not more, seems far more civilised wink
ski holidays
I think Eurostar were one of the recent bidders for the GNER franchise, and it would have been interesting to see if that would have resulted in some services starting further north, but it was awarded to the Virgin group instead so we'll never know.
snow conditions
@sparklies, If you go in school holidays the train is full of families anyway. My children love it and have never got bored at all. The eldest is now 12 and first went on the daytime Eurostar when he was 10 months. We used to take puzzle books, stickers etc now they are glued to the their gadgets, or sometimes chat to other children or friends if we are travelling with other families. You could book a table of four for your kids and they would be fine. Last time I enjoyed wine and food and read the entire Saturday Times which I rarely have time to do. I even managed a couple of Sudokus and of course you can put your Ipod on and enjoy your favourite music whilst enjoying the scenery.

Should any of your children need to fidget there are spare fold up seats at the end of the carriage they can fidget on without bothering anyone else.

The only thing that has ever annoyed me on a Eurostar was some very drunk people in the bar but this was on a Lille to London Eurostar not the ski train.
snow conditions
We are going on the Eurostar again at the end of the month. I loved it at Xmas. It takes some time to get settled and sleep was minimal but we arrived totally stress free knowing that within an hour of arriving at the train station we would be in resort getting ready to hit the slopes.

We have requested a price to upgrade to premier standard seats so we get power sockets which means we can watch some films on our laptops.
latest report
@chrisrawles, Some of the standard carriages have plug sockets but not all. But if travelling overnight I would only do standard premier.
snow report
Quote:

@chrisrawles, Some of the standard carriages have plug sockets but not all.

It's the ones next to the bars: coaches 5 and 14. From this summer they are upgrading the rolling stock and putting sockets in all the carriages.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plug sockets in standard carriages number 05 and 14 only.
snow report
Yes I know some of the standard ones have them as well, but at this stage in my booking I can't be guaranteed seats next to them.
snow conditions
sparklies wrote:
@Jonpim, is that the return price?
No: single fare prices.
I reckon train beats plane on price if you have to pay airport parking and transfers. It doesn't take much longer, there is no baggage allowance*, less hassle at "security", and a lot more comfortable.

*Actually, there is a "Luggage Allowance", but i have never noticed anyone taking any notice.
ski holidays
@@chrisrawles, you can log into a eurostar account fi you booked online and chose your seats I did for march to make sure we are round a table in carriage 5 or if you booked via phone you can phone them and request certain seats - they have changed them for me before to the power socket carriage
snow report
@snowymum, I wish it could work out like that! Three of the four would probably be as you describe with a bit of luck (although no guarantees with the baby!) especially the older two girls who would probably be very well behaved if it were just them. But one of them, who will be four when we travel, I'm less convinced about. When he gets bored - which doesn't take much - he tends to enjoy provoking the other three and then all hell breaks loose! It's why we're not flying - too much waiting around, changes of transport etc and needing to be paying attention to other things (i.e. not him!) whereas with the night train once we're on we can focus on keeping him happy until he passes out. Rather than focus on him for the whole journey and go quietly mad Shocked He was bad enough on a just over an hour train trip to Birmingham last year!

We did the Eurostar to Disney when he was tiny (and therefore not difficult) and the older girls were perfectly behaved in the way you describe. It's just him Little Angel He's going to be such a troll on forums when he's older!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy