Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season work in Japan for 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads! Very Happy First thread!

I'm in my last year of university and was thinking of spending a ski season in Japan for the 15/16 season. I would ideally like to stay in either Niseko or Hakuba as they both are a well-known English speaking resort. I would like to work as bar staff as it would give me a chance to get as much skiing done, I've looked and researched into the threads that already exists but I'm in a rather different situation. I'm a British born Japanese and fluent in both languages but the problem is the passport. I have both Japanese and British passports at the moment, but when I turn 22 this summer (June) I have to choose between which passports to keep due to the Japanese law not accepting to have two different passports.

I would like to start looking and applying for work soon but due to this passport situation I'm a little stuck.

This would be my first season and wanted to ask a couple questions... Puzzled
.Other than a bar staff, what would get me maximum skiing done or a job that requires fluent Englsih + Japanese?
.Will most Job vacancies provide a place to stay?

Appreciate any feedback and info etc!

Thanks! -Junpei
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ask the japanese authoroties nicely - I know 4 people with dual nationality - 2 of them have only one passport (the non japanese one) but have no problem in terms of working/living in Japan. 2 are American, one is British and the other is Dutch, all born aborad to Japanese parents. So it is possible just a bit of a paper trail.

If I were you I would look at how hard it is to get a UK passport having inotialy given it up, or just getting permenent UK residancy on the Japanese passport, probably the easer of the 2 ways to play.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A job at one of the more premium hotels would cry out for someone with those language skills. I worked at the Niseko Village Ski School and we were based next to the Niseko Hilton. They'd bite your hand off (as would the ski school for counter/booking staff), and they do provide accommodation, too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Soda, Sorry for hijacking, @Idris, @thedrewski, Thanks for the tips. Know the problem. Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Idris wrote:
Ask the japanese authoroties nicely - I know 4 people with dual nationality - 2 of them have only one passport (the non japanese one) but have no problem in terms of working/living in Japan. 2 are American, one is British and the other is Dutch, all born aborad to Japanese parents. So it is possible just a bit of a paper trail.

If I were you I would look at how hard it is to get a UK passport having inotialy given it up, or just getting permenent UK residancy on the Japanese passport, probably the easer of the 2 ways to play.

Does sound like a bit of hassle, I'll look into those and see what I can do. I was thinking of trying to keep my Japanese passport for as long as I can while keeping my british passport, I know of many people that does even after 22 but things can get out of hand once the Japanese government finds out! Worst comes the worse I'll keep my british passport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 to thedrewski.

The higher the role the higher the pay. But also less time to play.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Soda, your problem does not actually exist.

You cannot give up British Citizenship...no process exists! It also cannot be taken away unless you are convicted for Treason (and that would be too big an ask by the Japanese).
You can not have a British Passport issued in your name, but at any time you could simply apply and get one.
Have a proper conversation with the Japanese authorities and you will find that this is something they are well aware of. Perhaps let your British passport expire and then you can truthfully say that you do not have a British passport and that will probably be enough.
They may not like it, but they will lump it.

The British couldn't care less how many other nationalities you have!

Do make sure that you always enter/leave Japan on your Japanese passport.

My son is dual US and UK, under US law you have to chose...except you don't if it is dual US/UK because of the UK thing. The Americans just have to put up with it, and so they do.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike Pow exactly, need to get out there and get as much skiing done!

@rungsp Yeah, I figured that out after posting the thread Confused Probably going to end up using my Japanese passport, just going to have to do some paper work after I move into Japan for the season rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality/overview Puzzled

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/279405/Guide_RS1_January_2014.pdf

It is a bit more complicated.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 31-01-15 0:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hyst wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality/overview Puzzled
I'm not getting rid of British nationality!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Soda, Just reacted to @rungsp, statement.

Are both your parents japanese by nationality?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plenty of jobs with many operators depending on what you fancy. as people have said with the language skills you'll find no problems. Get in touch with ht holidays, nisade or ski Japan as they're the biggest in Niseko. Most of the big companies will provide accommodation.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is Japan likely to ask you for proof that you've given up your UK citizenship? Because if not, I'd just keep schtum and leave the UK passport at home.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hyst, Yup, they are both Japanese

@glp9, Awesome! I've already looked through skiJapan but not ht holidays or nisade, will have a look!

@Lizzard, They wouldn't know so that's what I'm most likely going to do.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hyst, that's interesting! I wonder if that is a new process?

When my son enquired he was told (at the time) that there was no process under UK Law to give up British citizenship.
It must have changed...

Still my overall advice would be to keep shtum and wing it!
snow report
Soda wrote:
exactly, need to get out there and get as much skiing done!

That's the trick though. If you want a job you'll actually have to...work! Unless you're an instructor you're not going to be on the snow as much as you'd like.

If you want to just ski, then just ski. But if you want a job, then you'll have to accept that you're going to sacrifice some ski time.
latest report
@rungsp, The japanese authorities usually know if somebody has dual nationality. In my country just this december was past a law witch accepts dual nationality. So until 22 years there is no problem for us.

Just a little funny thing in todays security society - my daughter leaves my country with her this country passport with her this country name and disapears in the air, just to land in Japan with her japaneses passport with a different name. So much for flying security.

@Soda, There is always the Fujimori case, as both your parents are japanese nationals, there is the a good chance always to become japanese nationality again (even if you have been president in an other country).

Don't think Japan will go for dual nationality for many many years to come. Sad
snow report
@thedrewski, Yes I understand, but I just simply can't afford to spend a whole season and not work, plus it has some advantages of accommodation etc, would be much cheaper too. I just want to experience what this 'doing a ski season' is all about!

@Hyst, The Fujimori case is a little different though, he did run a country and most likely had some connections to the Japanese government so he just carried on having both nationalities. Only if i ran a country... rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Soda, Madeye-Smiley Your time will come! New PM?
ski holidays
@Soda, I meant PM=Prime Minister Laughing Laughing Laughing Not PM = Personal Mail!
snow conditions
@Hyst, You better be clear about that next time, I had a think and thought..... personal message Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Niseko has incredible night skiing so depending on shift patterns you should be able to ski at some point everyday if you are motivated to.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy