Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Guys,

I'm looking to get into the odd bit of backcountry skiing, but at the same time I will be bombing it around occasional with family and friends.

So ... What are peoples experience with using Touring Boots for every day skiing?
Are they any good or would if be beneficial to have two sets of boots for different skis?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are 'touring' boots and, err, Touring boots. The issue with pure Touring boots is that they are not as substantial and, crucially, their soles do not fit in alpine (DIN) bindings, making hiring skis a bit tricky, for example. They are also pretty expensive. Sounds like you need some 'freeride' boots: downhill competent but lighter and with a walk mode. You can use these for the odd tour or 'hike and ride' days, but you'd probably want a proper lightweight touring set-up for multi-day tours. There are loads of freeride boots around these days and there used to be a few models with interchangable soles: I've been using a pair of Garmont Endorphins for a good few years and they've been brilliant, but Garmont sold out to Scott and I'm not sure they still have this sort of thing in their range. I'll be pensioning mine off and converting to AT bindings after my next trip. Not a cheap option, though!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I need to state that I am not an experienced tourer and have only done a few day trips

But I have recently bought a pair of K2 Pinnacles which are compatable to both bindings

http://k2skis.com/ski-boots/pinnacle-110

I've had a week skiing in them and they seem to perform well downhill and are a lot softer than my previous solomons

I am planning to do some touring with them soon (possibly next week) not sure if this helps at all snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dynafit Mercury boots are my everyday boots and I'm very happy with them. They have a booster tongue that provides a whole lot of stiffness for downhill and is very easily slipped out for uphill. The boots can also be used with some alpine bindings (I used them with Marker Squires) as well as tech bindings.

There's no faffing around with levers or switches to change from ski to walk mode and back, it's just a matter of undoing or doing up the top buckle. Simples. Means you don't accidentally ski in walk mode, like I often used to do with my Garmonts, wondering in vain why I couldn't get propely forward Embarassed

My whole set up is geared toward the 'hike and ride' end of the touring spectrum. Short skins to get to good snow away from the crowds, because I'm all about the downhill!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Stevo,

Cheers Stevo, I do remember hearing something vaguely on the subject of them not fitting in DIN bindings.
Basically I was looking at a pair of Tecnica Cochise 110 from last season and wasn't really sure on it all.
Still not sure if they would fit my fat feet, but just wanted to see if they could cope with it all.

I ll have a look into freeride boots.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I use a pair of Technica Cochise Pro Lights for everything, and am very happy with them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Zero_G, @Johnor,

Thanks, guys.
Love the tongue idea, never even heard of them before. Ill have a look into them, just need to find some boot at a reasonable price now.
Why does skiing cost so much rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999,

What's the fit like? Ive heard they are quite narrow around the calf which may be a problem for my muscular legs Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for Dynafit Mercury. Excellent boot, good on the up and the down. And compatible with quite a few other bindings.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes you can use touring boots for everything. They've come on massively over the last couple of years. Loads of choice now to find the best set of compromises for you and get something that won't kill your feet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rishie wrote:
Another vote for Dynafit Mercury. Excellent boot, good on the up and the down. And compatible with quite a few other bindings.

Dynafit claims they are compatible with all tech bindings but I'm not sure if that's just marketing hype. I was more impressed that I was able to ski an entire season with them in alpine bindings without any problems whatsoever.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dzmarc wrote:
@clarky999,

What's the fit like? Ive heard they are quite narrow around the calf which may be a problem for my muscular legs Laughing

I don't know tbh. I think fairly wide. I need ankle wraps on the liners to take up some volume. I wouldn't say I have particularly muscular calves (sorry Shimmy) but I don't have chicken legs either, and have had no problems. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone having problems with calves either.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
I don't have chicken legs either

Pictorial proof required (for Shimmy).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero_G wrote:
Rishie wrote:

Dynafit claims they are compatible with all tech bindings but I'm not sure if that's just marketing hype. I was more impressed that I was able to ski an entire season with them in alpine bindings without any problems whatsoever.

Don't really mind to be honest. I'm on Beasts which, as you know, are fine. Happy What has surprised me is that the Mercury/ Beast combination feels no different to any other alpine setup in the down. In fact, I can honestly say I completely forget I'm on them until I have to click out, Erm sorry, wrestle out!

Like you I also clicked into various Markers and they were ok as they were with Fritschis. And some (read: can't remember the name) rental bindings on my mates Rossi Sin 7s.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers.

This is going to make me sound ridiculous now, but its only a stop gap.

Simply if I was to go with something like a Scarpa, Tecnica, Dynafit boot how likely would they be to fit the current bindings I have (movement freeski - rental set up, don't ask).
In time these will go but just curious as to if it will work as a stop gap?
snow report
Rishie wrote:
What has surprised me is that the Mercury/ Beast combination feels no different to any other alpine setup in the down.
I know, it's amazing, I was expecting the setup to feel different.

Rishie wrote:
I can honestly say I completely forget I'm on them until I have to click out, Erm sorry, wrestle out!
Laughing Laughing Oh how I wrestled with them the first day. But I found a neat vid online showing just how easy and smooth clicking out can be (as long as the toe pieces haven't iced up).
snow conditions
Hey Dzmarc, some great suggestions made already I am sure and probably by more experienced skiers than me but, like you, I am a 'larger' chap, 5'10" and 15 stone but more rugby player shape than dounut. Point being by legs and calf's need some room and I am a wider fit foot. I have just done my 7th week in a new pair of touring boots that I bought off season last year having done my first six weeks in Salomon piste boots.

The new ones are Atomic Waymaker 110 Tours, came with touring blocks which I did ski on once in a snow dome in standard bindings but swapped for a set of piste blocks that I bought for he trip. They are super light, loads of adjustability and space for the fuller foot. I haven't made the leap yet to big time off piste so used them in anger on piste with very satisfactory results and am confident they will meet my needs for many seasons to come. Might want to check em out? wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Simply if I was to go with something like a Scarpa, Tecnica, Dynafit boot how likely would they be to fit the current bindings I have (movement freeski - rental set up, don't ask).

Some (not all) touring boots have interchangable soles --- so you can have an alpine sole -- compatible with your current bindings, or a rockered vibram sole better for walking which will only be compatible with touring bindings (Marker Tour, Baron, Fritschi, Dynafit etc)..

So you can get boots to fit youor bindings -- but if it was me, I'd go for boots that fit first and worry about bindings later.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy