Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quiver Killer Questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ladies and Gents,

Hoping to pick a few brains as I've recently picked up a great pair of White Dot Ones- However they have been QK'd for a pair of Tyrolia Peak 15's at a bsl of 306.

I have a couple of questions regarding these:

By chance- does the hole pattern in any of the other brands match this binding? Meaning I can put a nice Marker Griffons that i have on them?

My bsl is 326, so this may also be an issue with the size not being big enough? Thoughts?

Obviously this would be to avoid filling/ re-drilling so not a major problem- just less hassle!

Cheers

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0SnAf18fUXAOFBBb29ueTRUUWM/edit?pli=1

if you print this out and then set it up for your bsl
then align it with the centre mount marking on the ski, then u'll be able to work it out

you may be able to reuse some of the holes, (not all)
but i wouldn't want the binding centre point more than 1cm either side of centre marking on the ski

i know it says jester on it but jester and griffon are the same pattern
this video is quite good for showing the uses of the paper template

http://youtube.com/v/GQ-Cp1Wrb_c
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry forgot to say
you will also have to work it so that any new holes drilled are sufficiently spaced from the existing ones, ideally 2cm centre to centre
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tomow92, Thanks mate, I'll give it a go.

The only other option (which I might have just made up) is a plate which suits the original QK inserts but allows a new bindings to be mounted ontop?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BlueBird13 wrote:
@tomow92, Thanks mate, I'll give it a go.

The only other option (which I might have just made up) is a plate which suits the original QK inserts but allows a new bindings to be mounted ontop?

Cheers

Agree this is an option, but be wary that if the top plate is rigid, you may affect (limit) the flex of the ski. There are of course several ways to avoid/overcome this (as implemented by many manufacturers) but just be aware!

PS - I have just QV'd three sets of skis to move my NTN's around and there is no question they are great!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BlueBird13, the Tyrolia/Head mounting footprint only works with their bindings. But you don't need a plate - simply install another set of inserts for your new bindings. And 10mm separation between the inserts on a non metal layer skis like the Ones is fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, Thanks. Certainly sounds like the best way to go. Am i correct it thinking you wouldnt need to fill the originals?

You might also be getting a call to fix me up

Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BlueBird13, yep, just leave the original inserts in/as they are.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, ok so it looks like i need to get a new set of bindings... My brother has made use of the Griffons on his new skis already..!

If I bought a set of tyrolia, head or Fischer bindings (which I believe share the same drill pattern) could I use the original QK inserts and hope that there's 20mm movement for my boots to fit?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BlueBird13 wrote:
.... ok so it looks like i need to get a new set of bindings...

If I bought a set of tyrolia, head or Fischer bindings (which I believe share the same drill pattern) could I use the original QK inserts and hope that there's 20mm movement for my boots to fit?

'Fraid I can't answer that question, but just for reference here's a great resource for binding hole pattern templates http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/153971-Binding-Mount-Paper-Templates?s=2e20f647b309359ea1a1da3415c1171b
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BlueBird13 wrote:
@spyderjon, ok so it looks like i need to get a new set of bindings... My brother has made use of the Griffons on his new skis already..!

Thanks

Those bindings have about 200-25mm of adjustment in the heel however the mounting jig is designed to position the heel in the middle of it's adjustment so if they've been mounted on that basis then there's not going to be 20mm of forward adjustment available.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another quiver killer question; how quick and convenient is to switch bindings between skis, eg if you go out in the morning on fat skis expecting powder only to find wind has scoured the slopes leaving had ice. How quick is it to nip back to the hotel and switch bindings to your skinny stiff skis? Can frequent change overs wear or damage the QK threads? I'm thinking of sharing my Marker F10s between skis
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
10 min job at the most
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It depends how far the hotel is from the slopes Very Happy

To some extent it depends on the binding, and whether you need to adjust the toe/heel piece to remove/insert the bolts, or swap the brakes if you have that option. Make sure you take a Posidrive 2 screwdriver, and ideally a spare bit. Take your time, as you really don't want to strip a bolt head.

You can swap bindings hundreds of times, as it is a steel to steel thread. Just make sure you replace the thread locking compound occasionally.

I used to have Baron's so I know the heel plate will be easy swap, and you won't have an issues with adjusting the binding length. I never took the toe off mine, so can't comment on that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy