Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - Massive Snowfall - Will I actually be able to snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

My first post, I was planning on going to Chamonix earlier in the month but there was no snow so I delayed. Conditions started to look good so I've booked to go this Wednesday to Saturday with a flight home on Saturday evening.

Problem is there is 2 metres worth of snowing coming Thurs, Fri and Saturday. Will I actually be able to get any snowboarding done and get out of there?

Thanks,
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happy)) I asked the same question on another thread.

Not sure if that 2m will actually fall. I know very little about weather but can see 70cm to 2m predicted on various weather forecast sites.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well the winds are looking light, so that will help.

We are out in Grand Massif on Saturday to Monday, and keeping fingers crossed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hard to say but I have been there when all the lifts in the valley has been shut so it does happen
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the response guys, I'm really looking forward to going as we have a baby on he way in two months so it's the last time I will be going for a while ;0((
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you get 2m in one day then you're going to find it difficult to penetrate forward unless you're on a very steep slope. Which you won't be on as it's going to be a slide risk if there's that much fresh, whatever it's on. I've ridden places where we've had 75cm each night for days, that gets deep, so you end up riding slower which can be a challenge.

They'll control the pistes and then bash some of them, so you'll be fine. If you need a powder board, rent one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you get 2m I reckon there'll be very little skiing or boarding being done, lifts closed all over the place and massive avalanche risk. However, I bet you won't get 2m. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sw1000, do you have your own transport? if so you can take a look at what is opening in the area and head there. eg, one day we ended up at Les Contamines which was the nearest place which had anything open at all

if Les Houches is the only place open in the Chamonix valley, it is likely to be a s###show so you might be better off heading somewhere like St Gervais
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No car so I will be stuck in central Chamonix but thanks for your advice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sw1000, well, the circumstances were a bit different for the storm which shut me out - one big wave of cold snow, then temps rose so it rained high up the mountain and made the snowpack very unstable, then more cold snow on top
so don't give up hope just yet!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sw1000, there are busses, which you might well need to use.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if you are staying in Argentiere and all the lifts in the valley are closed due to avi risk except a few in Les Houches, but you cant get to Les Houches because the road is blocked you still won't get a refund on your Unlimited Lift Pass
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think it is more like 1m now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it's not an issue...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think it is more like 1m now.

Laughing Laughing well, what a surprise!!
snow conditions
Thanks guys, I will be bussing around so hopefully all will be good
latest report
2m? Not sure which forecast you're looking at; the ones I normally use are forecasting a total of about 60cm over the course of four days, starting Wed night. Since it won't be one massive overnight dump, that hopefully means CdMB will be able to stay on top of it and keep the lifts and mountains open, despite the very fragile snowpack. On Friday, the lifts may open later than usual.
snow report
If Chamonix is closed you can take a bus to Courmayeur. I think there is one just before 9 and again at ten. They leave form the train station and tickets can be bought on the day.I can't recall the precise cost but it was not expensive. Returns are in late afternoon.
snow report
Please can we all extend a warm welcome to The Chamonix Touriste Board Laughing
ski holidays
Currently empty pistes and blue skys, BUT everyone talking about the ensuing storm.
Most likely 50-60cm's over next 2 days. CMB will be very slow at opening the major stuff, upper stuff won't open, roads will be a poo-poo show.
Les Houches will open on time, only reliable access is by train, Viaduct St Marie stop and a 15 min (French 10 min) walk gets you to the Prarion, possible to ride most of the way back to the station at the end of the day.
Megeve et al will have no opening dificulties, outside the valley the roads will be slow but otherwise no problem.
ski holidays
Will you be able to snowboard?
That depends on the following:-
What the weather actually does - anyone who has spent time in a ski resort knows that the forecast is often only accurate upto 48hrs in advance.
What is actually open in the resort.
Your ability.

The first two you'll find out whilst out there, the third only you can answer. Razz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy