Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi new member looking where to go 28th March.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just joined and looking for some help.

We've left it late to sort out this year! We normally go to livigno but can't get in anywhere. So basically looking for someone to recomend somewhere with decent snow for us. A range of abilities as my mother in law is an experienced skier while myself and eldest daughter are decent intermediates. My wife is still a beginner and my youngest will be starting proper for the first time at 4 yrs old after starting out in Andora last year.

We've seen a holiday in kitzbuhel for a decent price but I'm concerned on the snow at this time of year.

So over to you guys, hope you can help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitzbuhel is a delightful place with some nice skiing, but late March could be chancy. You might get fresh powder every night or you might get cows.

Either way, welcome to a great forum and club.

Should be some bargains around at that time. I would wait to book.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, this is what scares me about Kitzbuhel. After spending a lot of money I don't want to be worrying about if there will be snow or not!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have enjoyed Mayrhofen in the first week of April and Saalbach too, about that time, but all the snow was on top. You would be safer at a high French resort. I got a chalet week at La Plagne for £395(including flights and transfers) last year in late March. Top quality too (skiing wise, anyway.)

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Evesdad, leave it a bit longer. Good deals will keep coming as Easter generally isn't too busy. We went to Kitzbuhel a week later than you're planning, a few years ago. We had warm days, we had freezing days and a snow day. We left it til later to book though (I think at the end of Feb) when we were fairly confident that there should be a reasonable amount of snow still about.

We could ski the streif, but either side of the run was grass down low.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers guys, going with my in laws so will tell them to hang fire a bit longer. Really fancy the three valleys but still a bit pricey at the moment, looking to spend about £700 pp.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Evesdad wrote:
Cheers guys, going with my in laws so will tell them to hang fire a bit longer. Really fancy the three valleys but still a bit pricey at the moment, looking to spend about £700 pp.

EoSB works out less than that PP on the 18th April wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think you'll find any last minute bargains through a British tour operator for one of the Easter holiday weeks but if you are prepared to DIY you should find something reasonable.
That week is low season in France so you could wait and see how the snow is and book some cheap accommodation last minute.
Flights out of the UK will no doubt be expensive if you leave it too late, you could either book flights now to somewhere like Geneva or maybe even drive down.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can ski anywhere for 700pp if you book it all yourself.Book an apartment and you are sorted.I'm going to Tignes in 4 weeks and it will cost 600 for flights,apartment,ski hire,lift pass,transfers and insurance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skichampcouk, depends what you class as a bargain. We've been away last 5-6 Easters (granted a week later) at least and never paid more than £1,500 plus lift passes (some DIY, some TO) for three of us flights, transfers, HB/catered chalet. Not particularly last minute and a bit risky but we've got Saalbach this Easter for £1,300 for three of us with a TO.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are (in all likelihood) taking a chance on Val Cenis this year, possibly the snow will be shite but well, I'm a gambling lady Smile

It looks like a very good-value resort but if you are set on good snow then it might be too risky for you. Also it's fairly small compared to the mega resorts if that bothers you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ours will cost about £1400 excluding equipment hire and food, but including everything else, BTW. That's for two adults and two children, private lessons for them , lift passes, transport, the lot.

There are loads and loads of cheaper resorts out there, so I've come to realise. The slight danger with leaving things really late is that if your youngest child needs a particular lesson arrangement it might be difficult to book at the very last minute. That's been the major sticking block for me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hammerite, @robertsnerys, That seems a lot of money to spend if you turn up and there is no snow. Why commit yourself to a resort so far in advance when you don't need to?
The snow hasn't been plentiful so far this season so why not wait and see how the season develops before booking somewhere for Easter.

At New Year and February half term a good proportion of Europe is on holiday at the same time so accommodation is scarce and lessons are likely to be booked up.
On the 28th March only Britain, some of Germany, Spain and Denmark will be on holiday so there is far less demand for accommodation, equipment and lessons so you will have no problem finding something nearer the time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are more the TO bookers as I just don't have the time or inclination to dedicate to it! Oh and lazy! Only my youngest and wife will need lessons so that's not too drastic. Ideally I'd like somewhere half board so the kids at least eat some sensible and healthy food! So where would you all recomend?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also we are tied to this date as we both work in a school and have children in school.
ski holidays
In italy...

maybe Cervinia if you don't mind ugly resorts and your MIL is ok with going over to Zermatt for more interesting skiing.

France... Les Arcs, Flaine, La Plagne, again if you don't mind purpose-built?

Nowt wrong with being a TO person. There is something to be said for being lazy Wink

Skichamp, we have quite specific lesson and accom needs so booking really late is tricky. Plus I get altitude effects sleeping any higher than 1600 m
rolling eyes . So we are banking a booking now and may swap later terms and conditions allowing.
latest report
robertsnerys wrote:
In italy...

maybe Cervinia if you don't mind ugly resorts and your MIL is ok with going over to Zermatt for more interesting skiing.

France... Les Arcs, Flaine, La Plagne, again if you don't mind purpose-built?

Nowt wrong with being a TO person. There is something to be said for being lazy Wink

Skichamp, we have quite specific lesson and accom needs so booking really late is tricky. Plus I get altitude effects sleeping any higher than 1600 m
rolling eyes . So we are banking a booking now and may swap later terms and conditions allowing.

I think Cervinia is a good shout. The town's not too pretty but the scenery is beautiful and the main problems there - wind blowing all the snow off the piste and freezing you half to death - will have abated.
snow report
Evesdad wrote:
Also we are tied to this date as we both work in a school and have children in school.
Know that pain. Wallet opens and TO's take what they can. Smile The only issue you may face with leaving it late is getting the right choice of accommodation. Especially if travelling as a group. Hope you find something on budget.
ski holidays
While I'm thinking about it any TO anyone would recommend using?
ski holidays
@skichampcouk, I understand that there is no need to book so early. We're taking a risk, but, so far we've had pretty good conditions every Easter school hols we've been away. My original advice was to leave it til later anyway, I was just making a point that there will be plenty of chances to get good last minute deals at Easter. Sometimes we leave it very late - last year we booked a week before to go to Serre Chevalier and got a good deal through Inghams.
latest report
Found a couple of decent deals for cervinia and Tignes. What would people say are the pros and cons of each and which would you recommend.
ski holidays
Well....

Cervinia, depending on where you're staying, can involve some uphill walks to the base lifts IIRC. The summit (if you are intending to cross over into Switzerland) is very very high, around 3800m IIRC. I had some serious altitude effects and nearly passed out in the tunnel Shocked but that doesn't affect everyone in the same way. And there would be no need for your wife and child to go that high as there are good beginner slopes at near resort-level.

On the plus side, you can go into Switzerland and see Zermatt, the snow is usually fab, the wind which can make the upper slopes unpleasant should have dropped by Easter (but no guarantees), Italian ski resort food is generally superior (and cheaper) than french mega-resort food.

Tignes I've not been to so I can't advise.
snow report
Oh and Cervinia rates really highly for beginners. It's got lots of easy cruising and good nursery slopes.
snow conditions
Thanks for the quick reply, I was probably siding more to cervinia as we live Italy! But liked the look of tignes, both deals were about the same so not a lot in it.
ski holidays
If you are thinking about La Plagne you could look at Ski Bug - you'd need your own flights but they do transfer and full chalet services ... usually a good price too. La Plagne is ideal for a mixed ability group (could also think about Alpe D'Huez). But Cervinia and Tignes both good too!!
ski holidays
Cervinia is great. You can cover a lot of ground very quickly as the pistes are long and wide - it's so easy to cruise.
snow conditions
Oh and if you like football you could try heading to Turin as England play Italy that week in Turin.
ski holidays
Don't think my wife would be to impressed if I disapeared to watch the football! But you never know!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take her with you!
latest report
She would rather put needles in her eyes lol
ski holidays
@Evesdad, wouldn't we all with England....
snow report
Another question!

Should I get the full area passes or just pay on the day? I will prob only have time to spend the whole day out once or twice in the week. The rest will be out in the morning, all meet up for lunch then prob take wife and kids out in the afternoon. Think the difference is about £50. So could I pay for a day pass or something for less than this?

Hope this makes sense!
snow report
Well we went and booked this morning, went for Tignes as it had better reviews in the hotel and was cheaper.

Thanks for all the advise.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy