Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report - Sauze D'Oulx

Poster: A snowHead
Destination: Sauze D’Oulx

Date: 17th Jan’14 – 24th Jan’14

Tour Party – 3 x late 20’s/early 30’s, consisting of 2 x skiers and 1 surfing boarder, dude!!

Flight – 6.15am from Dublin to Turin with Ryanair, which allowed us to arrive in resort at 11am on the Saturday morning giving a bonus half day on the slopes. No real bad points except the excessive charges for checking on a board (€100)! It’s a real shame that no other commercial airline fly to Turin from either Dublin or Belfast.

Transfers – Taxi booked through sauzeonline, €50 per head each way, which saved the hassle of getting the bus and gave us that extra half day on the slopes.

Accomodation: Villa Besson apartments, which were booked through holidayhomesinitaly.co.uk. The Ritz it wasn’t, but credit the apartment was very central, spacious and incredibly good value for money. It could easily accommodate 6, so we were happy to get a room each and save the annoyance of drunken snoring! A Ski bus was available outside the apartment door, but being strapping youngish gentlemen we chose to walk up the hill each day (10 mins) and acclimatise to the high altitude and settle the hangovers, stopping off for coffee and water along the way. The apartment administration were very accommodating and allowed us to check in early on arrival and were very friendly hosts.

Slopes/Snow: FANTASTIC!!! After weeks of watching green webcams we could not believe our luck when winter arrived in earnest the day before we left. We arrived to a sea of white powder and it stayed that way for most of the week. It snowed almost everyday we were there, and only the lower resort runs were suffering from ice late in the afternoons. We really enjoyed the runs off the top of Mt Fraiteve and Black 16 in to Sportina. We went over to Sestriere on the Wednesday, and although the snow was in great shape, visibility was non-existent, nonetheless we had an enjoyable if not blinkered day. The Olympic run in Sansicario was tackled on the Friday, and as a moderate intermediate it has to be one of the highlights of my 7 weeks on the snow!!! The only downside to skiing in Sauze is the slow lift systems. Surely investment in a fast gondola from Clotes or Sportina would lift the status of the entire area?

Ski rental: 2 of us hired ski equipment from the hire shop at the Clotes lift. The older gentleman who provided my boots was outright rude on more than one occasion. After asking to change my boots on Day 2 he grumpily told me that I should think about buying my own in future, obviously he couldn’t care less. I was close to asking for my money back and walking down the road to his competitor. The other two in the shop were nicer however.

Après: A real mixed bag! After witnessing 2 unsavoury incidents in the space of our first 2 nights we decided to give Cotton bar a miss for the rest of the week. Mura, Village and Grotto took our beer tokens from then on, whilst the Friday night in Banditos was very late and brilliant craic. Craig from Big Brother fame must have had his head wrecked all evening lol! The resort could benefit from more early après, something on or just off the slopes like a Folie Douce or LDA’s Pano Bar. I’d rather get jolly from 4pm-7pm, than 1am-4am, just my thoughts on the matter!

Food: The quality, value and portion sizes both on and off the mountain were very good. I see now why people love skiing in Italy! The T-Bone and Wild Boar in L’Assiete were so good we returned 3 times, also sampling the Frenette Branco on too many occasions!! Also hats off to the team at L’Otriche who’s food was a rival to L’Assiete and provided some great banter and some very tasty alcoholic sugar cubes. Be careful though as the melon flavour is actually hot chilli!! On the mountain the food was also great and very good value, for example Lamb cutlets with roast potatoes and veg and a coke was €12 in Capana Kind up at Sportina.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable snow holiday at a resort full of character.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for taking the time to do a report. Sounds great!
We are off to sauze in 3 weeks- I had been wondering whether to hire from clotes or eydallin- I often need to change boots so might give clotes a miss!
Can I hit you with some questions?
Would you say assiette was the best place you ate? we have a birthday while we are there so are looking for something a bit special.
Is the olympic run like any other run or do you have to sort of take turns?
any other tips for a good holiday in Sauze? - we have young teens with us so wont be doing nightlife other that eating.
thank you
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
After witnessing 2 unsavoury incidents in the space of our first 2 nights we decided to give Cotton bar a miss for the rest of the week.

Oooohh do tell us more you tease Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm surprised you report that the apres could be better. There are a few bars up at Sportinia and when you come off at Clotes there are several starting at The Village and running down into town. Never had a problem finding good apres. Ghost bar was my fave.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nem, to be honest I didn't have one bad meal over there but Assiete was a bit special. I'm gluten intolerant so I couldn't eat pasta so I never gave Sugos a go but you'll have a great night regardless. In terms of the Olympic run its very wide in parts but steep in others and you really get the feeling of travelling from one area to the other!

Red27 I'll just say that on both occasions we felt the bouncer was extremely heavy handed without giving the 2 victims any chance to back away or plead innocence, the black eyes on show over the next few days are testament to that!

Halfhand, I suppose its a personal preference thing, but I prefer boots on tops of tables to the eagles and bar nibbles, although the band that played in both Ghost and Groto were very good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Deffo, no boots on table tops in Italy. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nem, just back from long weekend and our third trip in three years (annual pilgrimage for us now).

Would recommend L'Ortiche and Del Falco for something a bit special.

Would absolutely, definitely recommend a trip to Caffe' della Seggiovia (very close to both restaurants) for aperitivos beforehand (*or any evening tbh) - great wine selection and super atmosphere (it does get busy, full of locals which is always a good sign for us) but be careful not to fill up on the continuous free meats, cheeses and breads they bring you. Good spot for family too early on, your youngsters will enjoy it (and the hot chocolate is also brilliant).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@debtors#2, spent a day in Sauze on the Wednesday of the same week as you, driving from Serre Che for a change of scenery... Started at the telecabina at Cesana (abandoned (?) luge track!) and it was a bit hairy getting into Sauze but was great once below the clouds. My partner is also gluten intolerant and we had a great meal at Orso Bianco - they did a gluten free buckwheat pasta thing which I was quite jealous of, and seemed to indicate that they could do a gluten-free pasta version of a few different things too.

I actually thought the lift system was pretty quick... but maybe that was compared to Serre Che. Just a couple of slow chairs getting in and out of Sauze but once in it was pretty good. It's certainly not Austria though Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

My partner is also gluten intolerant and we had a great meal at Orso Bianco - they did a gluten free buckwheat pasta thing which I was quite jealous of

maybe these - buckwheat crozets - very good to buy a few boxes, if you are gluten intolerant http://www.alpina-savoie.com/fr/produits/crozets-au-sarrasin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Curzonian, Thank you- Seggiovia added to the list.- love an apperitivo I do.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just under 4 weeks until we go to Sauze; went loast year and absolutely loved it so we're doing it again. Bring on the bean bag bar (Miravalino), bombardinos in mountain bars, red wine in Il Lampione, wild boar steak in restaurant Assietta. And hoping that the Italians are a averse to off-piste as they were last year, bountiful amounts of untracked fresh all day!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just looked up bombardino on wikipedia. I cant even believe that exists- fantastic- love advocat almost as much as aperativos.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nem, they really are a magic ingredient to a ski trip. I was only introduced to the beauty of a slopeside bombardino last year, and what a revelation that was. One mountain bar rewarded us for our constant custom by bringing out the "Super-Bombardino". Avocat, brandy and rum. It blew my flipping head off!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the report, I loved sauze both times I was there, pity you had flat light in sestreire, it has lovely views. Do you know do they still have the andy cap ski race in sauze? my little ones would love that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is the joy of finding stuff out from lovely snowheads before you go- you dont need to spend a wasted minute in Italy without such a thing as a bombardino.
Lots of good ski info too!
latest report
Hate Advocat. Love Bombardino Toofy Grin
ski holidays
driz, I would add that I had a wonderful duck ragu with gluten free spaghetti in LOtriche, it was a real bonus.

We finished each day with a bombardino or two at Bar Clotes, it was an interesting return to resort afterwards!
ski holidays
Our little party of 7 SFT's (Sauze First Timers) arriving on Sunday 8th Feb - snow's lookin good and really looking forward to the apres - spittin feathers already!!
latest report
Thanks @debtors#2, I'll be going to Sauze for the first time, in about 6 weeks. I read somewhere (in a brochure I think) that the lift system had been 'vastly overhauled and improved' as a result of the 2006 winter Olympics.... obviously some exaggeration there then by the sound of it....
snow conditions
@nem, For something a bit special, try Gaute la Nata. We had a couple of birthdays while we were there and they really looked after us. The Fagioli was amazing.
latest report
scubadancer, the lift system is fine but in need of a few high speed gondolas in my opinion. All lifts out of resort are on 4 person chairlifts and bring you to mid mountain. I think this is an upgrade on the previous lift system pre 2006. Once up on the mountain things are generally fine but there are a few drag lifts/2-man slow chairs and the odd bottleneck at the 4 man chair at Sportina, especially around lunchtime and at the end of the day.
snow report
@debtors#2, Right ho, good to know... thanks again. I'm hoping to go across to Claviere and maybe even Montgenevre as it's all linked, but the quicker the better snowHead
snow conditions
Been a couple of times to Sauze, the first time on my honeymoon (what a guy!!!)

It isn't the same since the Mafia sanitised it before the Olympics in Turin - the place never really recovered from losing the Andy Capp bar.

Staggering through the streets still in ski boots at near to midnight is obviously the domain of the young and foolish, but it was nice to be a part of it.

The old single chair across to Sestriere in a blizzard remains the most scary lift ride I have ever had, small wonder it was known as the freezer (or something like that)
snow conditions
Dont waste time trying to get to montgenevre by skiing. It takes a long time and the vast majority is on chairs and gondola, not skiing. By time you get there it will be almost time to head back. We got a daytrip there by bus with crystal and arrived for 0845 and skiied it all. Worth going to as some lovely runs
ski holidays
mikeelsa wrote:
Dont waste time trying to get to montgenevre by skiing. It takes a long time and the vast majority is on chairs and gondola, not skiing. By time you get there it will be almost time to head back. We got a daytrip there by bus with crystal and arrived for 0845 and skiied it all. Worth going to as some lovely runs

I'd disagree. I've done it a couple of times. You have to get a bit of a wriggle on but you can be in Montgenevre for an early lunch (way more expensive than the Italian side though) ski about a bit and be back in time for Apres.
ski holidays
FYI - Italy, I learnt from my Aunt earlier this year, is a great country to go to if you suffer from Coeliac disease as they are generally very knowledgeable about it, have plenty of gluten-free products and restaurants cater for same. Kids in Italy get tested for gluten intolerance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/glutenfree-food-in-italy-the-land-of-pizza-and-pasta-is-remarkably-clued-up-about-catering-for-those-with-coeliac-disease-9670164.html

http://www.deglutenous.com/blog/guide-to-eating-gluten-free-in-italy
snow conditions
@Cinsha, And you point in relation to this thread is Puzzled
snow report
halfhand wrote:
mikeelsa wrote:

I'd disagree. I've done it a couple of times. You have to get a bit of a wriggle on but you can be in Montgenevre for an early lunch (way more expensive than the Italian side though) ski about a bit and be back in time for Apres.

I don't think mikeelsa was saying it's not possible to do it. Simply that it takes a long time to get over there and back, which it does. By getting the coach you don't have to "get a wriggle on" and you can enjoy the whole day at leisure on different slopes, making the complete maximum of the runs available without worrying about heading back early. And I'd agree, it's a much better way to do it IMO (if only for a day of change, I prefer the runs and off-piste around Sauze and Sansicario).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@halfhand, the OP went to Italy and has mentioned earlier in the thread that he/she is gluten intolerant and there have been various suggestions for suitable restaurants/foods. So an article about gluten free eating in Italy is not exactly unconnected?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

My partner is also gluten intolerant and we had a great meal at Orso Bianco - they did a gluten free buckwheat pasta thing which I was quite jealous of

maybe these - buckwheat crozets - very good to buy a few boxes, if you are gluten intolerant http://www.alpina-savoie.com/fr/produits/crozets-au-sarrasin

Whilst they contain buckwheat flour they also contain wheat flour (as the first ingredient), so they are not suitable for someone who is gluten intolerant!

Liste des ingrédients : farine de blé tendre, farine de sarrasin (20%) , œufs frais, sel.
latest report
@halfhand, gluten is mentioned 4x previously in this thread, including by the OP! Perhaps you didn't read it properly before picking on me?

Many people out there might not be aware that Italy is gluten intolerant friendly and it would make it a great destination for those with concerns/stresses related to their diet and condition.

Thanks @Gämsbock, for pointing out same to halfhand. 😀
ski holidays
@Cinsha, It's a trip report not a dietary advice thread. A bit sensitive today are we?
snow report
@Dav, and @halfhand,

Quote:

I don't think mikeelsa was saying it's not possible to do it. Simply that it takes a long time to get over there and back, which it does. By getting the coach you don't have to "get a wriggle on" and you can enjoy the whole day at leisure on different slopes, making the complete maximum of the runs available without worrying about heading back early. And I'd agree, it's a much better way to do it IMO (if only for a day of change, I prefer the runs and off-piste around Sauze and Sansicario).

We are staying in Montgenevre, so going the other way, any estimates you can give on how long it takes to get to Sauze and Sestriere, if you get a "wiggle on" ?
latest report
@bruisedskier, Think we did it in about 2.5hrs.
latest report
@nem, When exactly are you heading out?

We arrive on the 20th and leave on March 1st...
snow conditions
Think we did it in about 2.5hrs.

Er, were you walking on snow shoes?
ski holidays
@Maersk, You are ted Ligety and I claim my £5 Toofy Grin
latest report
Montgenevre to Sauze D'Oulx in less than 2.5 Hrs @halfhand,

@Maersk, what is your estimate??
ski holidays
@bruisedskier, Maybe my watch had stopped wink . Or maybe I was just guessing Laughing since clock watching is not my main activity except maybe towards the end of the day. The point is that you can get from Sauze to Montgenevre and back in a day and still have time to ski about a bit and it is a great way to see the whole area as opposed to this quote:

mikeelsa wrote:
Dont waste time trying to get to montgenevre by skiing. It takes a long time and the vast majority is on chairs and gondola, not skiing. By time you get there it will be almost time to head back.

Little Angel
snow conditions
@halfhand, Thanks. Looking good over the next couple of weeks weather wise.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy