Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BUMPS - Help!

Poster: A snowHead
@DB, hmm, to my geometry, "pull back" is merely absorption on a gradient, call me old fashioned... Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Watch the vid while listening to the French Radio station 'Classic and Jazz' on streaming. Perfect combo. Nice Very Happy

Edit: It also helps if you have already shared two bottles of chateauneuf du pape and your wife suddenly proposes a drinking competition. Happy days. WTF ! That's the w/e gone.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pulling back and thinking about keeping your heels behind is a way to learn to stay in proper balance .. I think that image is helpful.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bpirkle, if it helps, and it works, it's good!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been skiing for a long, long time and if you saw me on a bumped up red you'd think I was a pretty good mogul skier .. but on black runs with big, steep moguls I struggle to link more than 3 or 4 turns before I get something wrong, pick up too much speed and have to bail. I make it up as I go along and while experience and athleticism goes a long way there are certain techniques that will take you to the next level that you might not get to on your own. This thread has been very interesting as I've found some really good vids of proper mogul skiing strategy and technique which heretofore I've not ever had laid out for me in a way I take with me on to the hill .. anyway I'm looking forward to a few bump runs on our annual Feb half term trip to St Gervais .. my kids love messing around on bumped up runs and I spend my time there keeping an eye on them and trying to ski them properly .. Brien
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I actually find it more helpful not to think in terms of different techniques for different terrain as it over complicates things and makes it psychologically harder. Sure you may have to adapt the fundamentals but get the fundamentals right and you are good everywhere. Get them wrong when the terrain gets more difficult and the mountain will let you know you need to do more work on the fundamentals.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TTT, I think I agree.

If a skier enters the bumps with their weight too far back - disaster. Basically, most people ski with their weight too far back, and on smooth pistes they get away with it. As a result they avoid bumps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@lampbus, thanks and agreed - that would be a good example of what I'm trying to say. In bumps I don't think you should be trying to do anything different, just make sure you are getting the basics which you should always be doing anyway right. It helps not to mystify bumps by thinking you should be doing something special. Keep it simple.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TTT, I have to say I totally disagree when it comes to bumps. There's a very specific set of tweaks to normal technique that helps. Everything else fails.

That's just the way it is... snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, +1

Apart from stance, weight, upper body down the fall line and pressing tips into the snow, it's the same Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, ok, i'll go with that...but that is how i ski anyway!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, I agree with you Happy - good stance, good balance, good upper body mgmt, good pressure control, good movements. For sure you are adapting those fundamentals but it is still the same fundamentals of good posture, balance and adapting your movements and steering to the terrain. If you can't get those right on easy terrain you are not suddenly going to get them right when the going gets tougher. Instructors like to make it more complicated than it is and create some mystery - it's business wink! Best advice I got was ski normally - adapt yes but certainly not stop having a good posture, balance, movements and steering.

@lampbus, Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TTT, you're right that, in general, good technique on the groomers is also good technique on the bumps, but some adaptations are necessary. In particular, you need to understand where best to turn and how best to navigate the bumpy maze. Another important difference is that your skis must be closer together in the bumps or you risk doing the splits. Finally, the point made by many about pressing your ski tips down after a bump is because a mogul field isn't a terrain park. As a bump beginner, you don't want to get air on a bump, but you might be very happy to enjoy the odd short bit of flight on a groomer.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny Jones, I mostly make turns where I want to, not where the bumps are, and just adapt by the moment.
Most bump fields I come across are very uneven, not at all like a prepared olympic bump run with zipper line.

Anyway, I am relatively new to all this bumps-for-fun thing. I did a couple of bumps clinics two years back with Claude @ EoSB.

I also usually ski with my feet too close together (someone said it is 'gay french style') and I was told over xmas (by a manly Austrian instructor) that I have my arms too wide.

<shrug> its a style I have trademarked and I will be producing a series of training videos for everyone to buy and learn from. I may call it 'Northumbrian Ski Technique'.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want to properly crack bumps you should take a private half day lesson or even two during your next ski trip. It's a path and it takes some dedication and there are a few things that you may want to work on separately before it can all come together. A good instructor will help to sort this. There are a few components, like pole plants, diving tips, absorption etc. and it might be better to focus on each of these areas separately. It worked for me, and whichever area I improved not only did increase my confidence when facing moguls, but also made my overall skiing better.
snow conditions
@TTT, it really depends on whether you are talking about (effectively) being able to cope with undulations in the surface - or- skinng bumps, not just competition rutlines - as an independent and very enjoyable art.

It is NOT just usual technique, carry on.

But it's too late at night, after too many lovely proseccos in favourite Chamonix bar too discuss without proper keyboard.

Sleep tight all snowHead
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@DB, hmm, to my geometry, "pull back" is merely absorption on a gradient, call me old fashioned... Twisted Evil

If it helps and it works for you then it's good Toofy Grin
snow report
I don't think we are really disagreeing at all - just emphasis and semantics. Certainly looking for a closer stance but things like good posture, good balance, flexing and extending to absorb the terrain, engaging the front of the skis, counter rotating to the fall line to a varying extent, making use of the terrain are all things I'm looking to do anyway. For me these are a tactical choice of which technique to use rather than a fundamental change in technique. If you have good fundamentals then bumps are easy so psychologically I think it is better to think in terms of developing good fundamental skills rather than thinking in terms of thinking there is some mysterious special technique that you have to learn for each different type of terrain. At least that is the advice from trainers that I have found the most helpful for me.
ski holidays
Like many things you need good basic skills (balance, posture, edging, steering etc) but when the terrain is different from your usual nice freshly groomed red run (e.g. powder, bumps, steeps etc) then a few additional skills / tweaks come in useful.
snow report
@DB, for me it's the same skills. You just need to be better at them. Just a different approach to thinking about it. Whatever works for the individual though.
snow report
@TTT,
So you use things like dolphin turns and jump turns on a smooth red run?
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
I don't think we are really disagreeing at all - just emphasis and semantics. Certainly looking for a closer stance but things like good posture, good balance, flexing and extending to absorb the terrain, engaging the front of the skis, counter rotating to the fall line to a varying extent, making use of the terrain are all things I'm looking to do anyway. For me these are a tactical choice of which technique to use rather than a fundamental change in technique. If you have good fundamentals then bumps are easy so psychologically I think it is better to think in terms of developing good fundamental skills rather than thinking in terms of thinking there is some mysterious special technique that you have to learn for each different type of terrain. At least that is the advice from trainers that I have found the most helpful for me.

Well written Smile
ski holidays
@DB, certainly practice those on easier terrain yes. All you are doing is developing your fundamental skills. Good solid fundamentals will get you down most places. Telling people you need some special skills creates a phycchogical block when most skiers just need better fundamentals primarily.
snow report
TTT wrote:
@DB, certainly practice those on easier terrain yes. All you are doing is developing your fundamental skills. Good solid fundamentals will get you down most places. Telling people you need some special skills creates a phycchogical block when most skiers just need better fundamentals primarily.

Maybe it's just semantics but nobody is suggesting you throw out good balance or fundamental skills for something else to ski bumps. People are asking how to ski them not just "get you down most places". e.g. You don't need to be able to do jump turns or dolphin turns to ski a red run. IMHO just improving the fundanmental skills needed to ski a groomed red run will not make you a great bump or powder skier. Understanding that to really ski all over the mountain I have to learn additional techniques to deal with different (non groomed) terrain etc works better for me. I too tried to ski bumps, steeps and powder using the exact same technique as I did for a smooth red run - it didn't work for me either.
latest report
@kitenski, well written perhaps, but IMV wrong to say, "If you have good fundamentals then bumps are easy"

To my mind, "bumps" means this (probably best with sound off...!!)

Leisse Bumps-SD 2006 from Uann
http://vimeo.com/118394482

Which I submit requires reasonable fundamentals and a bit extra technique.
snow conditions
@under a new name, But isn't that true, with good fundamentals bumps are certainly easier than with poor fundamentals? and indeed trying to demystify them and remove psychological blocks can only be good,

Is that you in the video as that's nice bump skiing!
ski holidays
@kitenski, Yes, I don't think you could do them with poor fundamentals.

It is me, thanks, albeit somewhat younger - it's from 2006.
ski holidays
I think we are only talking about a different way of thinking about it. For me it is easier to think in terms of staying as centred as I can everywhere. I don't have the power to change the laws of physics. I may well do dolphin type turns in bumps to keep centred but my mental trigger is keep centered not dolphin turns. If it helps someone else to think in terms of dolphin turns that is good as well. I'm a simple soul and find it easier to keep things simple.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TTT, if it works for you... snowHead snowHead
latest report
I find listening to trainers advice works for me and most people. wink
snow conditions
@TTT, it depends on the trainer... a few years back in Wengen, the official ski school were actually teaching a very strange upper body rotation...they claimed it helped the 'one week a year' customer enjoy skiing at their level, with the clear implication that the customer would never progress much anyway.
ski holidays
@TTT, i'm not sure it necessarily works for everyone...

Twisted Evil

But do you agree now that avalement is a specific technique?
snow conditions
@under a new name,
Nice bump skiing was that your Mum doing the voice over?

Who screamed at the end and why, was it the pants?
http://(Oh dear, I'm rather losing my cool - I think I might have wee-weed myself a little bit :oops:).blogspot.co.at/ wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 1-02-15 18:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
TTT wrote:
I find listening to trainers advice works for me and most people. wink

Go back and look at the clips. I thnk you will find that they are trainers who say you have to do things a little different in the bumps wink
snow conditions
@DB, thanks.

If I told the the voiceover that you had suggested she was my mum, you would be in the deepest darkest pooh. She's not my wife either. She's a rather striking and super fit 6' blonde with 36" inside legs... And no, you can't have pictures.
ski holidays
I love the way she shouts "keep going" as if you were going to stop and have a cup of tea and a biscuit.
PS I'm not into blondes, which is fine because there not into me either. Very Happy
latest report
@DB, i suspect she feared I was about to collapse in a small puddle of sweat and adrenalin!
snow report
@DB, i think you need to have another look. All you are doing is applying the fundamentals of posture, balance, movements, steering and line. The laws of physics and biomechanics are the same for everyone. Intelligence and good training is taking something complicated and making it simple. Over engineering things is just unhelpful marketing to massage over inflated egos.
latest report
@TTT, ok, post your vid. Of anything. I really would like to see you ski Very Happy
ski holidays
I don't have any skin in this game because I'm just starting out on bumps but the debate between TTT and under a new name is interesting and the only way it can be settled sensibly is for TTT to post a video of his own bumps skiing Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy