Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots - custom liners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

So my trusty 8yr old Salomon x-wave 110s need replacing as they are bit worn (and more to the point I just fancied a new pair of boots)

I'm an on and off-piste skier and looking for something with a bit less flex than my current boots, maybe 120 ish.

I've also been considering getting custom liners with the new boots, e.g. below.

http://www.profeet.co.uk/custom-ski-boot-liners

In terms of ability I ski all pistes and I'm comfortable on most off-piste terrain, although probably spend 70% of the time on piste.
About 3 weeks skiing a year in total.

So my questions are:

Does anyone on here with a similar ability/ski habits have experience with custom liners?
If so would you say they worth the extra £200 ish (I know that's subjective....) if you can afford them?
Will they improve my skiing (i.e. will the custom liners make the boot more responsive?) or do they just improve comfort? Or both?

I'm guessing by paying for new boots and custom liners, I would be throwing away the standard liners in the new boots (so effectively paying for new boots but only using the outer shell?)

I should also add that I will inevitably using them for the occasional bit of après ski(!) so I'm not looking for an extreme race fit (which could be uncomfortable when worn for longer periods) but something for an advanced skier who will need to wear them all day.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got PU Transfoam liners in Atomic Hawx 100 boots (old version). They are superbly comfortable and apparently effectively give me something like a 120 flex boot. I also wear very thin socks because I'm an old surfer/windsurfer and like as much feel as I can through my feet.

I have horribly pronated ankles with very flat feet and along with a custom footbed and spot on cant adjustment these liners give me all day comfort.

Thanks to Colin & Andi @Solutions4feet snowHead

* But from what I can see the latest heat moldable liners AND boots are the nuts.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 26-01-15 15:38; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have had two pairs of boots with foam liners, they were Nordica ones with the manufacturers own liners though not aftermarket ones.

They were comfy but my current race boots are an even better fit and I can still wear them all day. I wouldn't bother with foam liners again for myself but I don't need much work doing to a race shell to make them fit me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alex99, My 2p worth. I have two sets of custom liners... a set of Zipfits which give a very precise fit -- but took 3 weeks to bed in properly, and a set of Palau (simlar to Intuition) thermo liners in a pair of telemark boots. I bought the Zipfits because the previous liners in my Lange boots had worn out, but I did not want to replace the shells at that time. The Palaus came along because the stock liner in my tele boots was awful. So - IMV I'd go with stock liners and custom footbeds as a start, only go to custom liners if you really have too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
THanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I already have custom footbeds in my existing Xmax boots, so I should just be able to transfer them over to either the liners in the new boots (or to the custom liners, whichever I go for).
@ski, when you say they took 3 weeks to bed in properly, is that literally 3 weeks of skiing before they were comfortable? Why so long, is that normal for custom liners?
Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have never understood the theory that ski boots are supposed to hurt at first and then bed in after a few weeks. For many skiers that could be 3-4 years of holiday ruined by painful boots. Since the technology exists to make comfortable ski boots, if you can afford it, why not do it. For those of you lucky enough to have standard feet, that fit ski boots without modification, you don't know how lucky you are.

I have always needed foam boots due to a foot deformity and different sized feet. Not all foam liners are the same, and not all ski boot fitters are a experienced as each other, so unless you are buying from a shop that foams boot regularly, I would look elsewhere. In my case, my boots have been comfortable from day one, no pressure points, rubbing, pins and needles etc, and have the added benefit of being warm. The only real negative is that foam liners are heavier the standard liners (as all excess space is filled with foam), and your boots walk mode may be compromised, as foam liners tend not to have extra flex zones built in.

If you are intending to go to Profeet (as I did for my last boots), they may not use your existing foot bed, as the foaming process provides a very precise fit, and the existing foot bed might not be aligned correctly. It would probably effect their comfort guarantee, since they had not provided that critical part.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PowderAdict, thanks. Yes I'm considering Profeet because they are only 2mins away from me, but also tempted to visit Colin at Solutions4feet since he is highly regarded on this forum. I don't have any specific foot issues, I think they are fairly normal feet. Just looking to maximise comfort and "boot responsiveness" at the same time (which is know is difficult as boots tend to be a trade off between stiffness (i.e.responsiveness) vs comfort)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PowderAdict, My PU Transfoam liners were perfect right from day 1 as of course they should be. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've had foam done and I've had Zipfits. It is all about the competence of the fitter and the other components in the mix. I found the footbed plus Zipfit package CEM put together for me to be much, much better than the footbed plus foam package I had done elsewhere. This wasn't really about comfort, both were equally comfortable and more about alignment.

Are they better than regular liners? At the time I bought the Zipfits I was skiing at least 100 days a season. In that context they were definitely worth it as there was no pack out and they were as good on day 110 as they were on day one. I'm not sure they are £200 better for a week a year. For three weeks, it's a judgement call.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

@ski, when you say they took 3 weeks to bed in properly, is that literally 3 weeks of skiing before they were comfortable? Why so long, is that normal for custom liners?

3 weeks of skiing. They were already 'comfortable', just a rather tight fit ! Zipfits have a flow material (cork ?) in the liner which needs to move to fit your foot. I was using those boots at the time for 6 weeks on snow and all year in the UK , so for me the investment (time and money) was worth it. Mine were done by CEM as well Happy.

I would get a new set of footbeds done -- your foot shape may have changed over time. I would certainly start with the supplied liner and see how you go...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gorilla, thanks.

So from what I can gather there are at least two types of custom liners... non foam (e.g. Zipfit) and foam injected ones (e.g. PU). Is that right?

@ski, my existing Xmax boots are 8yrs old, but the footbeds are only 3yrs old I think (about 7 weeks skiing). So hopefully I can keep the existing footbeds, but will let whichever shop I go for take a look.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@alex99,
Quote:

So from what I can gather there are at least two types of custom liners... non foam (e.g. Zipfit) and foam injected ones (e.g. PU). Is that right?

I would say there are three wink Foam injected, Zip-fit and Thermo-formable (Intuition, Palau).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ski, cheers. Is it generally accepted that any one type of the 3 is better than the others? Or more a horses for courses thing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Horses for courses. Am intuitions at the moment as they came with my Scarpas. Comfy but nowhere near as precise a fit as the zipfits. But much lighter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
By many accounts, the Intuition liners pack out relatively quickly. Seems around 80 ski days may be an average lifespan.

Curious about the Zipfits. Is it a workable proposition to put them on while they are in the boot? The recommended approach is to put the liner on first and then insert into the boot. My boots are both stiff and tight, so that would be a pain. I don't want to heat them too much, as they have been punched out to fix hot spots.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 28-01-15 11:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ulmerhutte,
Quote:

Curious about the Zipfits. Is it a workable proposition to put them on while they are in the boot? The recommended approach is to put the liner on first and then insert into the boot. My boots are both stiff and tight, so that would be a pain. I don't want to hear them too much, as they have been punched out to fix hot spots.

I was able to put them on that way in my Langes. The boots I have now mean they go on first and then the shell.

@alex99,
Quote:

Is it generally accepted that any one type of the 3 is better than the others? Or more a horses for courses thing.

I would say that (in my experience) Zipfit give a more precise fit than Thermo (Intuition) . Note that precise means that they a comfortable to ski in, not necessarily to stand in wink Thermo do seem to pack out -- the Palaus in my Tele boots are very much like an old pair of slippers now Sad
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, I've had zipfits for ages, I've just put them on while in the boots as with any other liner.
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, @ski, - do you think the zipfits are relatively easy to remove? e.g. if at the end of the day I want to take them out to dry out the boots and liners. On say a 120ish flex boot.
ski holidays
@alex99, as easy as any other liner.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy