Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles - interchangeable lenses

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I own one pair of "low light" goggles (Anon) but don't currently have any which are suitable for bright sunlight etc (I just use sunglasses). Not ideal when its sunny & cold.

So I'm in the market for either a pair of goggles which are good for bright sunlight, or a pair which can have interchangeable lenses (thereby meaning I can take a spare lens on the mountain and swap according to conditions, rather than taking two pairs of goggles on the mountain).
Ideally I'd like to go for the interchangeable lens option.

However, I have been told (not a reliable source) that goggles with interchangeable lenses are a pain as the plastic rims/casing distorts over time with regular lens changes.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Brands I'm considering are Oakley, Scott, Anon, etc.

What is the general preference - different goggles for different conditions or just use interchangeable lenses? Or just one pair for all conditions?

I'm a regular skier in all conditions, on and off-piste.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a small face so I am limited to a few goggles that will fit. I bought a standard pair that fit with a low light lens, then when I wanted a bright light pair I just bought another the same model. Lenses can be changed (I have done), but it's a bit fiddly and not something I would want to do regularly - this may weaken the frame if you did it all the time rather than just when replacing a broken lens. There may be other brands that now do swappable lenses in a small size, but I'm not counting on it because they tend to aim for the mass market, not an outlier like me. I carry a second pair when I ski.

Mr S is more of a full-size human, and so has a pair of Oakley Airbrakes with two lenses. The lenses are incredibly easy to swap by moving a catch on the side (demos on YouTube). You don't manipulate the frame on these types of goggles, so I don't see how it would weaken the frame. Othe brands use magnets - again that doesn't interfere with the frame.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
However, I have been told (not a reliable source) that goggles with interchangeable lenses are a pain as the plastic rims/casing distorts over time with regular lens changes.

Sounds b0ll0cks to me. My frames (Oakley A) are totally flexible.

TBH, when I first had them I used to interchange the lenses quite a lot. But these days I only wear the goggs when it's snowing. I have interchangeable lenses on the sunnies and prefer wearing those. So I just switch lenses on those for good/poor light. I keep the yellow lenses in the goggs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alex, I change lenses daily, sometimes twice a day if conditions change drastically (Oakley Stockholm). The frame is a very pliable plastic and has never distorted. However, the thin layers of sponge that cover the dorsal vents eventually gave out after about 30 weeks of use. Then again, this may not have been caused by changing lenses but just UV exposure.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
THanks for the replies.

@Layne, Yes I did suspect it was b0ll0cks. Maybe true for a v cheap pair, but for a pair of Oakleys or similar then I wouldn't expect it to happen....just wanted to be sure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@alex99,

Look no further than these Summit magnetic goggles.

I have been testing a pair at the GB Telemark World Championships and can confirm they not only meet all of the manufacturers claims about ease and speed of change time (lens) but they are pretty bullet proof also.

The lens 'snaps' into place every time, and even during pretty epic crashes stays firmly in place.

Add to this that they come in very high quality packaging, sturdy protective case, low light lens with all bright lens and at the very competitive (offer) price of only £74.95

I highly recommend this product

(and just for clarity - I have no affiliation with the manufacturer just love a great product Very Happy )
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andyman, nice, those look great...just what I was after! Will probably keep my existing low light goggles a spare set, and order one of the summit ones with a low light extra lens.
Thanks vm.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There has been some great developments in lens change tech.

Anons Magna-tech range M1, M2 and WM1 are great, my GF had a pair of WM1s this year. She never used goggles before as did not know about different lens tint or wanted the faff of changing lens but the WM1 sorted that.

I've got the Oakley Airbrake , you just pull a leaver on the left and the lens is released, no need to pull or tug at the frames to release the lens.

Other brands who have introduced quick lens change tech that you may wish to take a look at include.

Adidas ID2 PRO, where you actually look through two lenses, a low light and bright light lens, then if the conditions worsen for example you just pull the bright lens off the front and look through the low light lens/

Bolle Virtuose with ''CLICK LENS INTERCHANGEABILITY TECHNOLOGY''

Dragon X2 with SWIFTLOCK TECHNOLOGY, lever on both sides of the goggle which release the lens, pop the new lens in the flip the levers

Scott LCG with Lens Change Slider system, similar to the dragon but with just one lever on the right hand side

Spy BRAVOand DOOM, with LOCK STEADY, just push pop and lock

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pippo, thanks for the detailed post. I've ordered a pair of the Summit ones suggested by @andyman, will report back once I've used them in a few weeks if anyone is interested.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
(that's a good summary).

As they said, the interchangeable stuff works fine. I used Anon's M1s for a couple of seasons without any issues, and I've seen people use those and other brands similarly without a single problem for the last couple of seasons.

This season I switched to some photochromics from Salomon, which I've tried under all conditions and they do precisely what I want, which is deal pretty well with bright sunlight and also the last run of the day. So I no longer carry a spare lens.

I think all the expensive brands are good. Probably some of the cheap ones too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just started skiing again (my second season) after a 25 year break and I have just picked up a pair of unused Bolle Virtuose from Ebay for only £25! Hopefully this deal is NOT too good to be true after all! Box slightly tattered but labels still on and both lenses pristine. The lens change seems easy and hopefully they won't pop out during my inevitable wipe-outs.

This is a seriously good time of year to pick up ski gear deals! seems like 70% off everywhere - only problem is lack of snow!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
Quote:

Sounds b0ll0cks to me. My frames (Oakley A) are totally flexible.

TBH, when I first had them I used to interchange the lenses quite a lot. But these days I only wear the goggs when it's snowing. I have interchangeable lenses on the sunnies and prefer wearing those. So I just switch lenses on those for good/poor light. I keep the yellow lenses in the goggs.

Not sure I'd want to change lenses on my old Oakley A-frames regularly as it is a bit fiddly - when I used A-frames I just bought another set as the lens is the expensive bit. However on goggles that are designed to change lenses quickly like my Smith IO-X's, its about a 30 second job and no problem at all.

That said, I never bother with changing a lens during the day. I Just pick the most likely right one for the day and live with it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got interchangeable lens goggles, but only swap them in the morning based on the forecast - I've broken two spare lenses either falling or just leaning too hard on my backpack on a lift. Spherical lenses seem particularly susceptible to cracking if you accidentally flatten them out.

Don't suppose anyone has seen such thing as a compact hard case, just for a lens not the whole pair of goggles?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kerb wrote:
Don't suppose anyone has seen such thing as a compact hard case, just for a lens not the whole pair of goggles?

The bolle virtuose came with a curved hard case for just the lenses, but just how strong it is remains to be seen: I wouldn't want to sit on it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I picked up some of the summit goggles too after seeing the post above. My friend has some of the anon magnetic goggles and the summit version doesn't seem to different. They also came with a hard case which is available aftermarket
Puzzled
ski holidays
The new photochromic lense seem good - i got a new pair of Smith IO/7 with the Red Sensor photochromic lens ( google comes with two lenses so also got the blackout lens, and comes with a very good spare lens protective cover).

Ski'd in bright sunlight, overcast, and also night skiing under floodlights with them and they were great. I also like the tint as it is not 'obvious', doesn't distort colours etc while contrast is good.

If you're very sensitive to bright light they might be a bit too high light transmission in blue sky glacier conditions... But then Julbo has some photochromics that cover 1-3 or 2-4 light ranges, and Atomic has Zeiss photochromic lenses with a very wide VLT range.
snow conditions
I have some Julbo goggles, start off flat light, if the sun comes out they react and go dark, no faffing with changing lenses and I don't even notice the change, I was sceptical that they would work but they are brilliant, i initially chose them as I have a very small face and most goggles just dont sit comfortably with my helmet, these are slim and comfortable.
snow report
whoops - I'm new

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 28-03-20 1:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kerb wrote:

Kerb wrote:

Sorry for blatant self promo but, this is a perfect answer to your ask...

http://youtube.com/v/Pjhaoi_W2P8&feature=youtu.be

I created this case to protect my Lens while out on the mountain. It's called the LenzProtect case by Goggle Pros.

Cheers
ski holidays
Although I normally object to digging up a 5 year old thread for a new user to plug their product... this is actually quite a helpful thing.

However @Goggle Pros that said I'd encourage you to post to the forum in a helpful member kind of way as well as a business, so it's not just free marketing for you. You might even enjoy it
snow conditions
@dp, For sure - Ya, I felt kinda funny doing that. Thanks for understanding. Can you please provide a little more detail on "post to the forum in a helpful member kind of way"....not sure if I know what you mean. THANKS!
snow conditions
Just to chip in. I discovered COPOZZ goggles on Aliexpress last autumn. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832681662.html
Magnetic changeable lenses, so ordered 2 pairs for £59. When they arrived I was really surprised to find that the lens fitted exactly into my Summit Evolve goggles!!
And POC sell a goggle lens case - €19 in Austria.
ski holidays
@Goggle Pros, ideas for contributing helpfully to the forum:

* Read other threads and if you have a point of view, add it to the discussion. I presume you have some knowledge of or interest in skiing
* On threads about goggles, cases, manufacture and sale of ski equipment, perhaps you can share you unique experiences as a manufacturer
* Make a donation to the forum to cover running costs, in order that your free marketing might remain free
latest report
For ease of use, nothing has got near the Uvex take off, unfortunately the actual goggles themselves provide a bit of a 'staring through a letterbox' feel and are nowhere near as capable as the larger wrap-around types from Oakley, Smith and Anon. I've just changed my helmet from Uvex P8000 to POC Obex BC Spin and the Uvex take off goggles are not a great fit. I've perhaps committed the ultimate sin of choosing the helmet separately from the goggles, so I am in a slight quandary about what to go for next.

First post on these forums, so...hello Smile
ski holidays
@TroutFace, Welcome,
snow report
Been using Aphex’s Kepler goggles with their magnetically interchangeable lenses for the last three seasons and have been very impressed with their range of lenses, ease of attach/detach and robustness. So so easy to change with a reassuringly positive “click“ on registration, no mechanical half-twists or clips.
snow report
@Grinning, the OP might be sorted now after 5 years of looking Very Happy
ski holidays
dp wrote:
@Grinning, the OP might be sorted now after 5 years of looking Very Happy

Just trying to drag you lot into the 21st century ;o)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy