Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non ski-specific soft shells

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all!

I'm heading out to La Thuile in a couple of weekends time, and am looking to invest in a soft shell jacket to take with me. I've been using quite a big insulated Columbia jacket for the past couple of trips, and just want something a bit less bulky and a bit more versatile to use on the mountain. The problem is, is that the few ski specific soft shells I've found that I liked are a bit out of my budget. The question is, is a "mountaineering" soft shell still ok to use for downhill skiing?

Would something like this: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/the-north-face/mens-valkyrie-jacket/201012

Be appropriate? It does have a zip on the arm which could be used for a lift pass, but no powder skirt or any other ski specific tech.

Is this jacket: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/the-north-face/mens-sickline-jacket/306403

Really worth £100 more for what I want to use it for?

Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions are welcome!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm very happy with one of these.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FWIW I have bought myself a Berghaus Suilven jacket - a there are some good offers for that on line. It has some limitations - the biggest being lack of a specific map pocket. Can't open the zip from the bottom, either. OK for my skiing, these days, though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
no it doesn't need to be ski specific.
I'd argue that the concept of a softshell should imply something simple and highly breathable with a bit of compromise on waterproofing. Powder skirts don't really fit that brief.
I have used an arcteryx gamma hoody for skiing (think I paid £120) - it's a hardfaced (tightly woven and DWR coated) microfleece. It works well unless it is damp - wet snow or rain will wet it out in a couple of hours.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Under no circumstances whatsoever would I buy something called a "Sickline".
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If budget is a concern have you tried sport pursuit? They have both skiing and "outdoor" type clothing. Many jackets are "last seasons" but heavily discounted, and if you are not bothered about having this season's colour then you'll possibly get a much better deal than going to one of the high st retailers. Also if it doesn't fit you can normally return in the post.
I often ski on cold days in a down jacket, its not designed for skiing but its very warm, much warmer than most ski jackets. The main downside is the lack of powder skirt, but apart from that its fine for skiing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bluemoon17, read this thread carefully:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/271303
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bluemoon17, How about this? http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mountain-equipment-mens-mission-softshell-jacket-13110651?id_colour=105
Or a little heavier
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/haglofs-mens-gecko-hood-jacket-13110535?id_colour=108
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bluemoon17, I ski in a Haglofs softshell I got half price from Sport Pursuit (£65). It's not ski specific (until this thread I had no idea such a thing existed!) and I use it for hiking as well. I love it - it's really windproof and breathable too, great across a wide of temperatures. The main disadvantage for skiing is lack of lift-pass pocket. Normally it's ok just keeping it in left hand jacket pocket but this season with lower snow depths I sometimes have to jump at the barrier to get it to activate. It's closer fitting than an insulated jacket so lack of snow skirt isn't an issue.

I like the flexibility compared to insulated - easy to add a hardshell on top for colder/wetter days, fleeces underneath etc. Plus the activity crossover means less gear overall.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gämsbock wrote:
The main disadvantage for skiing is lack of lift-pass pocket. Normally it's ok just keeping it in left hand jacket pocket but this season with lower snow depths I sometimes have to jump at the barrier to get it to activate.

Laughing Laughing same here! I ski in a mountaineering hard shell and my lift pass lives in a breast pocket, so I have to do this awkward little hop and mash left breast against card reader at some of the lifts Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a Salomon Snowtrip jacket, the women's model, but they make a men's version too. RRP is about £280, but they can be had for less than half that. It is ski specific. I have never used the inner jacket though - I generally ski in March and it is unnecessary (Salomon also make a version without the inner jacket, but at the time it was more expensive). If it is properly cold or wet, I have an insulated shell instead.

I prefer the softshell as it is much more comfortable and less bulky. It seems to keep the wind out, too. I would never recommend softshell trousers though. There's too much sitting on snowy chairlifts for them not to get saturated.

So what I am trying to say here is that if you want a ski specific softshell, you can get one for under £180, but you might need to do a bit of bargain hunting.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
worth saying that quite a lot of non-ski specific jackets have sleeve pockets these days
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I ski in a mountaineering jacket too...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ski in an Arctryx Gamma MX Hoody. Slightly pricey, but I picked it because it works well for alpine and other climbing, and I can also wear it around town quite a bit so I get more value out of it - more than I would a ski specific jacket. The hood is designed to fit over a climbing helmet, and I find it will fit over my ski helmet which is very convenient for keeping snow out when it's windy or cold.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been skiing for about 25 years - didn't get my first proper 'ski jacket' till ten years ago! Skied in my hillwalking gear - it's waterproof and designed for the mountains. Obviously it wasn't very fashionable or trendy, but I'm not bothered about that. My other half skied in Mountain Hardwear goretex jcket and mountaineering trousers for years.
ski holidays
Zero_G wrote:
I ski in a mountaineering hard shell and my lift pass lives in a breast pocket, so I have to do this awkward little hop and mash left breast against card reader at some of the lifts Embarassed

I work as a part time card reader, on behalf of my co workers and myself I'm pleased to confirm that we don't mind wink
snow report
Hi all, many thanks for all the replies. Glad to know that it's not such a ridiculous idea!

rjs wrote:
I'm very happy with one of these.

I saw the Orange one in Decathlon Stockport the other day so I'll definitely be going back to give it a try on at least. What's it like for skiing in? Warm enough with the right layering?

Zero_G wrote:
Gämsbock wrote:
The main disadvantage for skiing is lack of lift-pass pocket. Normally it's ok just keeping it in left hand jacket pocket but this season with lower snow depths I sometimes have to jump at the barrier to get it to activate.

Laughing Laughing same here! I ski in a mountaineering hard shell and my lift pass lives in a breast pocket, so I have to do this awkward little hop and mash left breast against card reader at some of the lifts Embarassed

Ha, well if I do get one without a lift pass pocket at least it won't be just me looking a bit silly at the chairlifts!

Will be heading to Cotswold Outdoors and Decathlon to try on some of the suggested ones this week. Many thanks again for all the replies!
ski holidays
http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-exodus-jacket-p282610

Go outdoors have a good deal on the rab exodus softshell.... I use it for skiing and it's been fantastic!
snow conditions
@bluemoon17, this is what you want (depending on size)

http://tinyurl.com/land7ry
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy