Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I'm pretty new to skiing and am about to invest in some goggles. I'd like decent quality and some that are going to last, whilst also not spending mega bucks for what will be one trip per year at most.

I have a pretty small head and large goggles look a little silly on me! I've found that the following goggles fit my face well, and as they are Oakley I'm expecting them to offer good quality. Anyone got any experience or views on these?

OAKLEY A FRAME 2.0 SKI GOGGLES - JET BLACK / PRIZM ROSE

Also, if I only have one lens, what is best for all conditions? I'm going to Zell am See in late Feb, and more concerned about visibility and effectiveness than looks! With my skiing, looking good us not going to be an option!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Token74, You may find these links on the Oakley A-frame and the Prizm lenses useful.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Zero_G
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The prizm rose lens is great. My mate swears by them and after having a shot i can see why, great contrast in crap light. Can see far more bumps etc. Might get that lens for my oakleys. Definitely worth it
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the previous versions of the A-Frames and can't rate them highly enough.

Not once had any issues with fogging, great vis and seem to fit all types of helmets without problems.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses guys. Have ordered the Rose Prizm A-Frames.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The A-Frames are great, but...

Quote:

if I only have one lens, what is best for all conditions?

I wouldn't recommend more than one lense for one A-Frame goggle. Changing them when you aren't at a kitchen table (like at the top of a run) is a real faff / impossible.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've gone for the Rose Prizm lens which covers everything but the sunniest of conditions, for which I will take my pair of Oakley Jawbones which have very dark lenses.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good plan.

I went the opposite way, buying my A Frames with a Hi Yellow lense in resort to cope with flat light in Val D'Isere. I then splashed on a second pair with Fire Iridium the next year, with much less justification. Both are fantastic, but I think you have probably chosen the more sensible route!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Used persimmon in the oakley crowbar for the last few trips. Bought a prizm rose lens and fitted it last night, will see how it compares on Saturday! Bringing the persimmon in the luggage too as a backup
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pynch wrote:
The A-Frames are great, but...

Quote:

if I only have one lens, what is best for all conditions?

I wouldn't recommend more than one lense for one A-Frame goggle. Changing them when you aren't at a kitchen table (like at the top of a run) is a real faff / impossible.

changing lenses is dead easy I've never had a problem just don't be timid with the frame.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Similar to @Pynch, I bought a pair of Crowbars with the Hi Yellow lenses for Xmas trips as its usually grey. I then tried to buy the Fire Iridium lens for them as well to go down to one pair of goggles and swap, but it was cheaper to buy a second pair with the Fire Iridium lens in, so I bought a second pair but left the frames in the chalet and just took the lenses out. I then decided it was faffy to change them at the top of a lift and I'm back with 2 pairs of goggles (well, 3 if you include my old 'all conditions' pair from decathlon which I was planning to replace with the Crowbars)

The two pairs cost me less than £110 shipped, cheaper than one pair from the likes of EB et al.

They actually aren't that difficult to swap, but with gloves and skis and everything around, I decided it was better to keep the lenses in frames in cases or on my head after dropping one on the floor through nothing other than clumsiness
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

They actually aren't that difficult to swap, but with gloves and skis and everything around, I decided it was better to keep the lenses in frames in cases or on my head after dropping one on the floor through nothing other than clumsiness

Indeed, not a design fault just laziness / clumsiness / eagerness to get on to the next run. I always ski with a bag so a second pair is really simple for me to carry.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy