Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Chaumiere Chalets, Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
I have just recieved the Esprit preview brochure and I am pouring over it now.

Has any body stayed in these chalets? What are they like?

Also what is the general feeling on Les Gets reliability for late season (3rd April)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed in them winter 2014. Had the chalet on the top floor, Martine I believe. Reasonable living space in there. They're about a 20 min walk into the village away but this was in foot deep snow with kids.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Short review I did here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2453979&highlight=les+gets#2453979
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've also stayed there; wouldn't do so again out of choice. They were too far out of the village and there were lots of Esprit issues the time we went. Most people staying at the time came to the conclusion that they'd've been better in one of Esprit's larger resorts; that way they'd have been more likely to have "spare" staff to replace the 6 who left in one week...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Le gets is low. I wouldn't recommend it for April.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, doesn't look like it may be the right option, shame as the price is right.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Nicky. As you know I have used Esprit a few times. My review is here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2194255&highlight=les+gets+esprit#2194255

Yes chalet is about 10 mins from ski lift. 5 mins from nearest shop/bar etc. However, I hired skis from shop at foot of slopes and they store gear. Not ideal if you have young kids skiing. Ours were in nursery/snow club at the time.
Probably not a wise choice for April due to height of resort.
I really liked the resort though and would recommend Les Gets for a more 'snow sure' time (if that exists)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about Avoriaz? If we were to stay there would that be more snow sure given it is at 1800 or is there not enough higher skiing in that area to make it worth the risk if early booking?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, Avoriaz would definitely be better but if snow is thin lower down it will be busy because of the large number of Brits who go to the Portes du Soleil. I like Les Gets but like the others who have commented wouldn't recommend it for April.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, we live in Les Gets in the winter and by April we are generally driving to ski in Avoriaz most days - part of the reasoning we make when we invest in our PDS season passes is that at the beginning of the season and the end that we will ski Avoriaz/Chatel and most of the rest of the time, particularly if we have friends staying we pootle around in LG/Morzine 5 out of 7 days. We have known April though to have very reasonable snow but just can't be guaranteed.

Friends of our daughter stayed at the chalet that you mention with Esprit, probably 2 years ago and thought the childcare was absolutely fine. I think they would have preferred a bath rather than showers in both rooms as that would have been better for bathing the babies. They were in one chalet and they had friends in the other one - the difference in standard of catering was quite marked so it really depends on what the chalet host/cook/chef is like. Good job their's was good as the husband is a bit of a foodie and might have taken over otherwise.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks both. The Avoriaz option is with Club Med, which cost wise isn't actually that much more for that week than the Espri offering....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did you look at Ski Famille? I think they have places in Ardent at the foot of bubble lift up to Avoriaz.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mike-H, no I haven't thanks for the suggestion, I will look now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is The Family Ski Company who are based in Ardent with quite a few of the chalets there.
http://www.familyski.co.uk/resorts/portes-du-soleil-ardent/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pamski, Thanks for the correction. They look like good locations to slope but Ardent is not exactly a busy village. I guess it depends what you need/want.
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
It is The Family Ski Company who are based in Ardent with quite a few of the chalets there.
http://www.familyski.co.uk/resorts/portes-du-soleil-ardent/

Am I missing something here? A quick look at their chalet and prices, they are coming up a similar price for just the accomodation and transfer, no flights, lift passes or childcare vs Esprit price for flights, accomodation, childcare, lessons AND lift passes for all of us?
snow report
No, you're not missing anything; they are flipping expensive - I always liked the look of them but never did it for exactly that reason. Ski Famille in Les Gets / La Plagne / Reberty used to be somewhere in the middle price-wise, but they have now been bought by the previous owner of Esprit so read into that what you will; at the moment it looks as if their prices for off-peak weeks are now more reasonable, but their prices for school holidays have gone up. At least the childcare is now optional though and they include flights and transfers.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, They are considerably more expensive. Also think Ski Famile cost more than Esprit. It would be interesting to hear from people that could provide a comparison. Is the accommodation/food/service considerably better? They all offer great deals for late booking non peak weeks. I will never be in a position to benefit from these offers though.

The only TOs that I have found with similar prices are Crystal and MW. However, childcare does not look anywhere near as good and MW typically offer more hotels than chalets which is not my cup of tea.
latest report
Ski Famille used to be, in my experience of both, CONSIDERABLY better than Esprit. We've been with them twice now. The first time (pre buy-out) was amazing; the chalet nannies basically did whatever you wanted - if you said you would like your children to be brought to the top of the red egg to meet you for lunch at 12.30 and then to be taken away again to play at 1.30, that's what they did for you. They would take your kids to whatever lessons, at any time, and back. There was also a professional chef at the chalet and the food was amazing.
Last year there were the first murmurings of change. The professional chef had gone, and we had 3 different young chefs in the week. All were good, but nowhere near the standard of Andy the pro. They still did what you wanted child-care wise.

This year, completely different. They will not take your children to meet any instructors other than their own (even if at the same time and same place, and you have to pay through them for the lessons, involving a heavy markup to benefit from that service), they certainly will not bring your children to meet you anywhere, you have to commit to much more in advance, and I am not expecting a pro chef. Their prices for ski hire, lift passes and lessons etc are completely uncompetitive too.
On the other hand, flights and transfers are now included, although I was cross to find out that we are apparently flying into Chambery, when every communication, including their website, says Geneva. Childcare is also optional which is good as the children get older. Basically they have become much more like the Esprit model. Personally I think they have lost their niche which is why they now have so many late offers available out of holiday times. But clearly they couldn't make the old model pay, and at the end of the day they have to do what they need to stay in business.

It's a shame though and I think this will probably be our last year with them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy