Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ski's for big guy?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm off to Austria soon and I'm just wondering what ski's I should be going for. I'm 6ft tall and around 19 stone. I am fairly fit and do a lot of cycling. I would consider myself an intermediate skier but probably closer to the bottom of intermediate. I own my own boots but always rent ski's. I either go for the basic ski's or the next one up.
Should I be skiing a short or long ski and should I be looking for a stiff ski? Are there and particular brands or models that I should go for?
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scott Stunts in 196 with Salomon Z14 Speed bindings........ perfect for you, and....... I got a pair for sale, only used as a demo pair for 2 hours, as such virtually new! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
..and if you an find them in a resort hire shop good luck
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@donie75, whatever you get, if you don;t like them after the first morning take them back and swap
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just be careful with bindings, sometimes ski shops can crank them up if you're a big guy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skis that hit around the middle of your head and go stiffer rather than longer, something by Volkl would be a good bet considering you are in Austria.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys, is there a stiffness rating on ski's?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's no stiffness ratings like boots, so you need to go by the marketing speel and whatever info you can pick up from reviews etc. As a general guide -

1. Piste skis aimed at more advanced skiiers will be stiffer
2. Skis that have sidewall construction rather than cap construction tend to be stiffer
3. Skis with metal in them (titanal layers usually) tend to be stiffer.
4. Stiffer skis are usually heavier

At 6' skiing piste you probably want about a 170cm ski that the hire shop has as suitable for an advanced skiier rather than a basic intermediate ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Valkyrie, 170 sounds short for a 6ft 19 stone man. MrHL is 6ft and 15 stone and easily skis 176

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 26-01-15 22:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice folks, I'm going to go for slightly better ski's and ask for a fairly stiff model. I can't remember what ski's I had last year but I'll try 170's or 180's.
Thanks!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One thing I don't get about lengths. Why is it based purely upon height rather than weight as well?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Posidrive, it's not. you also consider weight and ability. another thread on teh subject here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73018
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm an advanced intermidiot of similar size and height and recently spent a week on a pair of brand new Rossignol Experience 84 in a 178cm in very mixed conditions from wind blown ice to powder via spring snow and crud. I absolutely loved them. They were very stable and great fun, gave me plenty of float in new snow and on the side of the pistes and were very, very easy to turn. There was no learning curve, I immediately felt right at home on them. I'd be tempted to buy them but I want to try the longer and possibly 88mm wide varieties next time, as well as a few other alternatives. Of course I'm kidding myself to a degree: I'm sure that most skis will be fine, it's not like I'm pushing the boundaries of either technology or athletic ability. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd suggest going up a hire grade if heavy - the 'basic' pack are always a bit made-of-cheese-strings ime. Which is fine if you a tiny bit of a thing, but I find their flappy patheticness annoying, and I'm a fair bit lighter than you.

aj x
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for Rossignol Experience 84 as something to try. I'm roughly similar height/weight and had a very similar experience to @twodogs.
ski holidays
donie75 wrote:
Hi,
I'm off to Austria soon and I'm just wondering what ski's I should be going for. I'm 6ft tall and around 19 stone. Are there and particular brands or models that I should go for?
Thanks.

You need a generation 1 Ragnarok. wink
snow report
I'm a similar build and have a pair of 177 volkl unlimited ac-30's, nice and stiff, would recommend them highly.
ski holidays
Dot. wrote:
donie75 wrote:
Hi,
I'm off to Austria soon and I'm just wondering what ski's I should be going for. I'm 6ft tall and around 19 stone. Are there and particular brands or models that I should go for?
Thanks.

You need a generation 1 Ragnarok. wink

You, sir, are pure evil wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@bobalexander1983, has great taste. Volkl AC30s rock. And they have bits of red on, so are very fast.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy