Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is your favourite resort and why.

Poster: A snowHead
Neither irrelevant nor even secondary for me (unless I'm on a course of instruction, in which case I'll even tolerate lapping the Tignes glacier in the interests of improving my skiing.)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, hard question for me to answer. Kinda in order, but not really, would be esta tic to go to any of these for really different reasons.

Alta
Tigne
Chamonix
Zermatt
Whistler
Kirkwood
Aspen highlands
Squaw
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Resorts that I have enjoyed the most and would always visit again:

Ski Amadé
Kitzbuhel
SkiWelt
Courmayeur
Madonna di Campiglio
Val D'Isère
Zermatt

Resorts that I have enjoyed but don't feel a particular need to visit again:

La Thuile
Cervinia
Passo Tonale
Andalo
Méribel
Val Thorens
Tignes
Avoriaz

Resorts that I didn't especially enjoy:

La Plagne
Pas De La Casa

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 26-01-15 18:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only have limited experience but love PDS area. Lots of different skiing. You can clock up the KMs or enjoy your favourite pistes over and over. I don't do off piste.

Looking forward to EK in 5 weeks though as lots on here saying Val D'Isère and Tignes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My top ten in no particular order....

1. Fernie
2. Jackson Hole
3. Val d'Isere / Tignes
4. St Foy
5. Engelberg
6. Kicking Horse
7. Sierra at Tahoe
8. Squaw Valley
9 Winter Park (for the bumps)
10. Chamonix
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@frosty75 Another one for Zermatt. If I won the lottery I'd be back there in a flash. The skiing is adequately good, but the scenery and the setting are just fantastic.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want best resort in the world -for just skiing then, if conditions are perfect then it has to be Whistler. This is, however, a favourite resort thread.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For a long weekend - Courmayeur. Similar reasons as my Zermatt choice, but smaller, less expensive and Italian. Bar Prive is a great little old-style cocktail bar in town and there's great food on offer everywhere. Sunnier side of Mont Blanc too.

Have been the last 4 years in a row as a second trip. Shame the ski area is small.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like a big area and to travel a bit while skiing, so my favourites are, in no particular order

Sella Ronda area
3 Valleys
Espace Killy
La Plagne
Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang
Mayrhofen

Nice but too small:
Courmayeur
Pila
Cervinia
Chatel (yes, I know it goes on!)
Kitzbuhel

Not keen:
Les Deux Alpes
Wengen

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Contamines - Cause it's home when I'm on holiday and the real world doesn't exist there.
Glencoe - It's about an hour from (real world!) home and when the weather gods smile, there's nowhere I'd rather be.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is a great thread to actually find out where others have been and get the feel for some areas you maybe haven't. Everyone are, quite rightly, going to put their experiences across and we're all different. But don't always dismiss maligned places.

@Pedantica, mentions Tignes as an area that doesn't strike a cord (TPIM). In my barren skiing years (most of the nineties), a colleague of mine used to rave about Tignes. I often dreamed about getting back to the mountains so looked up reviews of the resort. It mainly came back as bleak, ugly and uninspiring. Suffice to say I never went.......until 2006. Wow. What a place. Although not my favourite. The piste skiing (in Espace Killy) is just about the best I've ever experienced. Admittedly, nightlife (in Val Claret (can't speak for the other villages), is limited, although what is now known as the Couloir, can't remember what the heck it was called, alcohol induced memory loss I suspect Razz, was bouncing back then). I was planning on going back for a third time this year until others got involved. If you've never been, give it a whirl, just for the skiing alone.

There's quite a lot of places listed so far that I'd love to visit, those in Austria being in the main.

I'm such a lightweight when it comes to the amount of ski resorts that people have been to on here, but, for what its worth, here's my worldly experience, in order, from top to bottom of enjoyed times snowHead

Verbier (awesome) x 2
Tignes x2
Praz Sur Arly (first ski holiday, whoop, whoop)
La Tania (first ski holiday with kids last year, keep 'em coming)
Meribel
Courchevel 1850
Mammoth
Glenshee (I know, not a ski resort, but for the skiing alone) x lost count
Nevis Range (ditto)
Morzine
Axamer Lizum
La Plagne
Les deux Alpes
Borovets (TBF the après was pretty good, just crap skiing)

I would really like to know some of the, ..........ahem, secrets, being posted about and kept quite on here. A PM would suffice and I promise not to repost Blush
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oz En Oisans (AdH) coz it's where I am and I've just been woken up by the ploughs on the road outside snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Top list:

Whistler - vast, open, varied terrain, no queues, great piste bashing, great snow conditions, lovely people
Tignes - fun, lively resort, cheaper than other places in same area, skiing was excellent, probabaly fave location in france
Mayrhofen - again vast, giood grooming, food was brill, people were friendly,
courchevel - great skiing though v expensive if not careful (and if you were too!), always have a soft spot as hubby proposed here Smile brilliant area though busy in holidays which is a pain. Meribel a total bottleneck it feels like.
Sauze D'oulx - lots of choice, didn't make a dent in amount of skiing available, people great, food even better. Snow and contitions were good. Want to go back to explore further.
Val D'isere - same skiing applies as for Tignes as we skiied between the two so much, much much prettier but theres something about Tignes that I have a soft spot for. Apres good though dont get stung with pricey beers!

Les Arcs 2000 is probabaly one of my lesser preferred resorts. If we went again, would stay near the cable car as preferred that side of the area and the access to the other side.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Whistler - vast, open, varied terrain, no queues, great piste bashing, great snow conditions, lovely people

Changed a bit since I was there then, I wouldn't disagree with most of your description and I enjoyed my holidays there a lot but the queues were worse than most then ( About 16 &17 years ago).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Extraordinarily lucky to have skied just over 50 resorts in 16 years but top 3 are
#1 Jackson Hole - steep, mad and epic with the coolest apres bar you can imagine "The Mangy Moose."
#2 Grand Targhee - backwoods resort with awesome powder
#3 Big Sky / Moonlight Basin - ABSOLUTELY HUUUUUGE AREA

Despite this not too fussy - anywhere with a decent level of snow will do
Very Happy
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

Changed a bit since I was there then, I wouldn't disagree with most of your description and I enjoyed my holidays there a lot but the queues were worse than most then ( About 16 &17 years ago).

Fair enough! Not sure really if what we experienced was the norm. Went for honeymoon 2 years ago today in fact! I just recall the slopes being so quiet all the time (whereas 3v the previous february had been frankly hellish and we vowed never to book in the french holidays again...lesson learnt). We barely had to queue and when we did there was no pushing, shoving or elbows/skiing over others which was refreshing. We may have just been lucky but not taking that into account we had a brilliant time there generally.
snow conditions
Les Arcs. I've skied many other French resorts and many Greek 'resorts' too (NOT Parnassos; the areas in the north are fabulous, but so very small and only really for a weekend). I like Les Arcs because it's so well linked with very few button/drags. Varied terrain over a lot of altitudes also a big plus.

edit: Apartments in Arc 1950 are a deal maker for me too
ski holidays
My top 10

1 Andermatt
2 Grimentz / Val d'annivers
3 Alagna / Monterosa
4 La Grave
5 St Moritz
6 Jackson Hole
7 Montgenevre
8 Champery
9 Verbier
10 Chamonix
ski holidays
@FiFi_Trixibell,
Quote:

We barely had to queue and when we did there was no pushing, shoving or elbows/skiing over others which was refreshing. We may have just been lucky but not taking that into account we had a brilliant time there generally.

Sounds like you had a great time and I would certainly agree that it is a really good place to ski. When we went there were significant queues to get up the mountain in the morning and several bottle necks. As I said it was quite a few years ago now and the lifts may have been improved or it may have been a busier time of the season.
Still, a wonderful place to ski and the only real drawbacks for me at the time were the queues (Which weren't awful , just a bit longer than I was used too and expecting) and the food on the mountain which though adequate didn't match the better alpine eateries. Really good places to eat in the town though and as you say some great and very varied skiing.
I would love to go back but expense for a family of four has precluded it.
snow report
Resorts I have been to and would happily return

Whistler
Ski Amade
Ski welt
Are
Stowe

Resorts I might return to (at a push)

Vemdalen (liked the place but a bit too small now)
Sere Che
Banff (if I am going that far I'd go to Whistler)
Coronet Peak (if in NZ in their winter)
les Orres
Livingno

Resorts I will not go back to
L2A
Borovets (though had a blast learning there back in 90s)
Bardonecchia
Poina Brasov
Arinsal
snow conditions
Resorts I love that have been to more than once and will go back again:

Three Valleys (Mottaret)
Arabba / Dolomites
Chamonix
St Gervais / Megeve
Espace Killy

Ones I probably won't go back to but enjoyed:

Heavenly
Squaw Valley
Breckenridge
Verbier

Ones I have been to but didn't really like:
Les Deux Alpes
Portes Du Soleil

Ones I would really like to go to:
Zermatt
Whistler / Canada

One I hope that will be good as going there at Easter:
Vallandry / Les Arcs
snow conditions
courchevel : off piste !!!
meribel : DC shoes snowpark !!!

http://youtube.com/v/ZEv-BuCKUyw
ski holidays
Of the ones I can remember properly it would be Courchevel. Can't really remember all the ones I did as a kid very well.

For memories - Mount Hotham (Australia). Spent a season there in 2001.
ski holidays
Always interesting how threads morph: the author asked for Favourite Resort, and we've ended up with lists.
All good stuff, of course.
But I want to know more about the lovely Danielle from Val Thorens
Much more important . . .
latest report
Best for skiing variety -Whistler
Lift system and mile munching 3V
Off Piste - St Anton
Scenery - Dolomites

Smaller but perfect in ervery other way:

Civetta
Risoul
Sunday River
latest report
All about the people for me Happy So many friends in Les Deux Alpes it has to be my favourite, just as well really Shocked
snow conditions
Kiroro, Hokkaido.

Laid back feel
No queuing
Wide variety of terrain, albeit not a huge vertical
Cheap season pass
Great and easily accessed backcountry
Almost 6 month season
14+ m of the highest quality powder every season
snow conditions
downhillalltheway wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
Val d'Isere - fantastic skiing, huge area, good lift system and the BEST apres.

You've not been to Ischgl then ?

Actually yes, not long after I replied in this thread!

Ischgl arguably takes the crown for best apres - probably in the world.

Val will always be my favourite resort though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know which my favourite resort is. I may not have been there yet.
ski holidays
My top list goes something like this. Los of places out there still to explore.
St Martin de Belleville and surrounding villages. 3V skiing but with local alpine charm.
Zermatt-only been in the shoulder of the season, so never skied the whole area, but one day hope to.
Hakuba -especially Hakuba Cortina and Norkura- Honshu Japan. 13m of snow per year, trees, powder, onsens, few crowds, clunky lifts, great grub, dated...but fab.
Champoluc. Just a great village with lovely skiing.

Places I wouldn't go back to-LDA, Engelberg, Tahoe (the latter was a long way to go for terrible snow this year).
snow conditions
Unlike some, I love Val Thorens - great intermediate skiing, quick lifts, the 3V on your doorstep, ski in ski out, affordable, great apres-ski, and during March/April when I go the sun always seems to be shining and the pistes quiet.

I remember someone once saying to me "doesn't the lack of trees make it feel like you're on the moon?" - "No, it makes me feel like I'm in the mountains!!!".
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
during March/April when I go the sun always seems to be shining and the pistes quiet.

I remember someone once saying to me "doesn't the lack of trees make it feel like you're on the moon?" - "No, it makes me feel like I'm in the mountains!!!".

You've been lucky then. Go in a week when it's foggy and blowing a gale day after day and you'll understand why resorts with at least some skiing below the tree line have something going for them.
ski holidays
Nordkette
Axamer Lizum
Sapporo Teine Highland

Most of my favourite resorts are the smaller ones - on a powder day I'd pick one of the bazillions of tiny gems in the Alps than any of the big name resorts. Sure they come into their own if it hasn't snowed in a while, but there's too much competition on the really good days.

But if I could only ski one resort for the rest of my life, or if I only had one week a year and had to book in advance rather than wait to see where it'll snow, then it'd the Arlberg.
snow conditions
Zermatt- Best for all-round from the places I've been

Vad D'isere - not even close to the best Apres IMO.

Val Thorens is pretty perfect in the 3 vallees (except is has the numerous bad points the French resorts have - plastic tray lunch galore). Has pretty much everything except a beautiful old town for those who like the quaint village side of things.

Endless new places to visit which is probably the best thing!
snow report
Legend. wrote:

Val D'isere - not even close to the best Apres IMO.

You're going to the wrong places then, or you've not been since Cocorico opened.

But everyone's entitled to their opinion. Val Thorens is far from perfect!!
snow report
We could play, "build your own ski resort" with elements of our faves.
For me:
The snowfall of Japanese resorts.
The trees of Japan (deciduous) and Canada (evergreen).
The high mountains and glaciers of France/Italy and Swizerland.
The Matterhorn.
The onsens of Japan.
The food and hospitality of Italy.
The convenience of France.
The cost of living of Bulgaria.
The bottom warming lifts of Austria.
The huge lift linked ski areas of France.
The apres and beer of Austria.
The hot chocolates of Italy.
The overall mountains of the Dolomites (not been there, but think they probably win).
The chocolate box villages of Swizerland.
The peace and quiet of the USA on a weekday.
The managed avi controlled off piste of North America.
snow report
@FullyTucked, Nozawaonsen becourse of the atmosphare and the onsen. Little Angel But I do not think I can't answer the question. Toofy Grin

However I agree:

Perty wrote:
For me:
The Matterhorn.
The onsens of Japan.
The overall mountains of the Dolomites (not been there, but think they probably win).

Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 19-10-15 17:13; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
For me:
The Matterhorn.
The onsens of Japan.

I want to go here!
latest report
Perty wrote:
For me:
The Matterhorn.
The onsens of Japan.

And most importantly, the number of skier visits per annum of Jakarta.
snow conditions
I don't know if it is still published but I have a copy of the Good Ski Guide on my bookshelf.

At the end the is a tick list spreadsheet of desriable things people would want in a ski resort and then a list of about 200 resorts with ticks in eachof the the boxes for each resort. Things such as great tree skiing, great food, long runs, no queeus, great scenery etc. etc.

One resort has considerably more ticks than any other in the world. Can anyone guess which one?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy